Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Grandpas el mirage roadster recreation p.r.c

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by paintslinger805, Mar 13, 2016.

1. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

From what I understand of Texas Jack from trail drivers' stories, the personality may have been passed down!

2. I've been hooked on this since post #1!

What sizes and where did you get the Goodyears?

What are you still needing in the way of parts?

3. They are goodyear marathons 5.25/5.50-18. On 32 rims with 32 shrader valves. Not sure if that's how you spell it. I bought them with a bunch of other parts so I don't know where they were bought from. I payed 400 bucks for wheels and tires. I really like wires so I will keep these but I will also have the steel wheels to keep the recreation perfect. I do need 3 15"/4 steel wheels. Kiwi Kevin gave me 2 but only one has the nipples to hold in the hub cap. One is smooth so it will not hold a cap on. If I can't find anymore I will use buttle tape to hold the hub cap on or I will run with the back two no hub caps.

4. HotrodA you asked what parts I still need. Here is a list of what else I need.
    Roadster seat.
    A good usable gas tank.
    Edelbrock duel intake and carbs.
    Carb linkage for duels.
    Gas block one into two.
    Auburn dash.
    Gauges that fit auburn dash insert.
    Voltage regulator 6 volt. Generator.
    Body.
    Front spreader bar.
    The brackets that hold the center hood bar onto the firewall and grill.
    Radiator.
    Original windshield posts and sanctions. I have a repo but would like to find original one.
    Front crossmember.
    48 rear shock mounts.
    Colume drop.
    Chromed front backing plates.
    Duel coil ignition.
    32 dash the metal tin part not gauge insert part. So I can fab up for auburn dash. That's all I can think of right now. I do have a few hamb members that we are pm back and forth for some of these parts so as I get them I can cross them off the list. It comes down to the cheapest so I can finish this car in time for trog. Everyone so far has been very helpfull with prices so I have to say big thank you fellas as you know who you are. Everyone of you that has helped with parts will be right there with me and grandpa on cruze day. Thanks everyone for following along. I hope everyone can get alittle feel of my grandpas dry lake days when y'all read along.

Egor likes this.
  5. Keep it up man, just read all 12 pages of the thread. So cool.

6. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Re: your column drop, if you can find a Model B connecting rod it makes a cool column drop and was used back-in-the-day. I've got one.

7. Well I'm chasing a real 32 Henry roadster body right now. Went up looked at it and not for sale. Then he had a change of heart and called me yesterday and said he will sell it to me. Just waiting for his call he says he is gonna look for the rest of the parts then call me. I can't even work I'm so stressed out waiting for his call. I want to call him but I don't want to piss him off. Cross your fingers. Hopefully here in next few days it will be in the back of my truck.

Egor, v-v, Jimmy B and 2 others like this.
  8. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Awesome Bruce......I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya!

Runnin shine likes this.
  9. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Fingers crossed.....

10. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

A32or2 has a converted Lincoln dizzy in the classifieds. But $$$ jeez.

11. Crossed fingers and toes.

12. Thanks for the heads up Wyatt.

13. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Just got back from machine shop. It's the nicest block they ever seen. It's been balanced ported relived and the 3-3/8 bore cleaned right up. Average wall thickness from sonic test was 132 thousands. So lucky duck I am. Someone spent a lot of time building this motor. I got it for 200 and saved a ton on machine work. One little crack in between the head stud and water jacket. Just one. That's normal though.

14. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

15. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hello Bruce;
    Awesome news on the block. That will defiantly save ya some coin! You have mentioned the books by Don Montgomery. My advise would be to get them if you can. They are well worth the money. Wealth of information in all of them. I have a couple, but have not seen a picture of your Grandpa's car yet. On that note though, I have scanned a page out of Don's book "OLD HOT RODS SCRAPBOOK". In the top right hand corner is my Dad [#430] with what I believe to be your Grandpa standing there talking to him? Maybe the next time you see him you can confirm that. As always, take care, and keep up the great work.
    Mike

20160422134330_00001.jpg

kiwijeff and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Now Ol Duece has a sweet NOS Edelbrock super twin for sale, you need to subscribe to the classifieds.
    PS the relief job is nice.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
    volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Nice score on the block. Lucky duck you are.
    Aaron

18. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Im stoked for you Bruce!!!! Great find all the way around!!!!!
    Mike, I have those books. Now I have a face with pix on that page.
    That would be great if it were Elmer.

19. This hole build has been of luck. Did find one of the piston ring grooves broke off. So that might be why it was torn down. So I got to buy new pistons. Anyone got any 3-3/8 bore pistons. If I got one silvolite I could still use them and save money as long as it was the same part number. I might just buy a set of Ross. Don't know if I need forged pistons though.

20. image.jpg Got a 32 steering box today from a fellow hamb member. Thanks tom. Also missed a call from the guy with the body. He asked to call him in morning so pray for me...

Jeff34 likes this.
  21. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

it's morning already!...wait...it's only 5am in cali right now...nevermind

Moriarity and volvobrynk like this.
  22. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

The new and updated version of "patiently waiting"? Lol

When will you ask for the tire size ?
    It ain't an official build thread before you do that and HRP post twice.

slv63 likes this.
  23. Sold sold sold..... He has accepted my offer. Body is mine. Wooooooooo hooooooooo:D:D:D:D:D Now I got to drive the 10 hour round trip to go get her and with work it looks like it will be around next MondayMonday

24. slv63

slv63

Like Like Like :) great news!

25. v-v

v-v
    from Finland

Gongrats!!!!

26. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I be happy for you
    I be happier if you sold it to me

Moriarity and volvobrynk like this.
  27. Well it's alittle ruff but it's still an original. And sorry 3 window Larry but I will not be selling her. It's the body only he has no other parts for it. I can see that is has the passenger sanction but I couldent see the other side of it when I was there. It has the firewall still in it and it's uncut. Also has v8 gas pedal in it. Doors deck lid and firewall is all there. I couldent see in it so I hope the dash is there. I have sent a few pictures to some hamb members who have helped me with parts so they get the preview... The rest of the world has to wait till it's in the back of my truck coming home.:p;)

Runnin shine and volvobrynk like this.
  28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

29. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

I won't let the cat out of the bag so... Yeah what he said.
    Having seen it already I will say I can't wait to see more.

30. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I'm the same way. The only difference of the street rods seems to be color and rims. I hang out in the swap area with the rust.