Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1956 Dodge starter question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tmd171, Apr 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tmd171

tmd171
    from Detroit

I recently replaced the starter in my '56 Dodge Custom Royal (315 poly 12v), with a high torque power master purchased from Hot Heads. The starter worked great for a day and then died, when I removed it, I discovered there was a slight interference with the steering gear linkage which evidently cracked the starter case when the steering went to full left. My question is, will the higher horsepower, lower reduction '75 on starters bolt up to this engine? I really like the higher cranking speed of those newer starters. Or is there a different brand mini starter that will work?
    Thanks, Tom

2. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

No the late Mopar starter will not fit. You can get a high speed starter by obtaining a 6 volt starter from a 55 and earlier or have a shop rewire yours for 6 volts. Works great. I have done it .

hotrodtom likes this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMO You do not need to rewire any 6 volt starter to run on 12 volts. Solenoid maybe but definately not the starter. Haven't you heard a Ford flathead start lately. I ran a 6v Chev on my 13-1 comp GMC 6 for years until I changed to a different ring gear and went to a new gear drive starter.

hotrodtom likes this.
  4. hotrodtom

hotrodtom

Ditto on running 12v through an earlier starter. I have a 241 Dodge, and in my admittedly limited experience you may have issues with mating the starter with the flywheel/flex plate ring gear as there are several sizes out there. I have a Dodge truck flywheel in mine.

5. tmd171

tmd171
    from Detroit

I spoke to the manufacturer today and discovered the starter is clockable, wish they had made mention of that somewhere in the installation instructions...guess I'll be eating this one...