Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A radiator advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bigsmoothy, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Bigsmoothy

Bigsmoothy

I have a 28 Model A and would like to get you guys opinions on what to do.
    My radiator leaks about 3 gallons an hour and is pretty much as some would say "shot". I'm going to be driving the car a lot, at least I want to and want to know if there's any other radiator out there that is similar but a little easier and cheaper to get a hold of?
    Brassworks I know makes a nice one but its $600 bucks and I would spend that no problem to keep the stock appearance but I wouldn't mind finding something a little more affordable.
    I heard someone say a 60's Mustang fits behind the shroud and you can't tell until you open one of the bonnets but that may be totally wrong?
    I'm in Florida and need to keep it cool so I can put another 40,000 happy miles on her!

As always thanks in advance!

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I buy the cheap($165) aluminum ones off eBay and have had no problems on my last 3 builds...

1927graham and Bigsmoothy like this.
  3. 2014 I ordered an aluminum radiator from Jeff, @ Dillon Radiator, Rochester MN. Pd. $204.95, free shipping, modified for the Buick engine, top hose on the rt, bottom hose on the left. He said these are quality radiators, and that he will stand by them. This radiator has a tranny cooler. Had it powder coated satin black, mounted it correctly using Barry Engine Mounts for ultralight aircraft, it's a very light weight radiator and won't shake itself to death if well mounted. I have used it over 7,000 miles last summer, not a problem!!

http://dillonradiator.com/

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    scrap metal 48, Bigsmoothy and Chucky like this.
  4. Bigsmoothy

Bigsmoothy

I found one on eBay from Winner Radiator for $359 free shipping.
    It's got all the hose connects in the right spot and the fill cap at the top but it doesn't look threaded?
    Should I take a chance on one of those?

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Sounds OK, check his feedback...

Bigsmoothy likes this.
  6. The mustang shows and is hard to fill. it is a hot rod radiator not a resto radiator.

Too bad you didn't get mine before I sold it, it is a pristine original and I was only asking 300 for it. LOL

7. Bigsmoothy

Bigsmoothy

I think we might have talked about it but I didn't know mine was that bad then.

8. LOL they don't heal up, what happens is that the cancer metastasizes and spreads to all parts of the body. :D

9. Bigsmoothy

Bigsmoothy

I was defined hoping it would fix itself! lol.

10. Bigsmoothy

Bigsmoothy

I might do one of these and just paint it flat black.
    They are $283 with free shipping on eBay. 2 core and all tig welded seams and tank. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459972219.016982.jpg

11. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I would get a 3 row...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

What size engine are you dealing with?

13. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Radiators only have one core....Two, Three, Four rows, etc..........my rant is over

14. cw

cw
    from Midland

I have a winner radiator in my 1929 and it works fine.

15. I have had good luck with Dillon radiator as well.