Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Munci tail shaft housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JYPSEA, Apr 11, 2016.

1. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Is it possible to remove a munci tail shaft housing with the tranny in the car? Just bought a new speedometer for my 35 Chevy. But it doesn't work because the speedo gear on the tail shaft has moved. Plastic gear, broken clip, just my luck. Thanks for any help.

2. squirrel

squirrel

I think so. You'd want to skip the steps about removing the side cover and front bearing retainer...

but it's been several years since I worked on one, so my memory is foggy..

[​IMG]

3. At least through 1970 I do not ever recall seeing a Muncie with a plastic gear and a metal retainer clip. All of the Muncies I ever had across had a press on speedo drive gear like the service manual pages that squirrel posted. Are you sure the drive gear is pressed on at the correct location? I was guilty of that the last time I put one together.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I think you can (Ive never tried it like that) but the reverse shaft and fork can be tricky to get back in place when they go back together. Ive used the plastic gear with the little metal retainer before too. They look funky but they work.

5. Doesn't the mainshaft have to have a hole drilled in it to lock the retainer?

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Good point...

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The last one I did with a plastic gear already had the hole. I think the later ones have the hole already, but Im not sure when they started that.

8. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

I've decided to do it in the car. If it doesn;t work out won't take much to remove the trans. Thanks for all your help.
    Paul

9. 3030

Let us know I have two with same problem

10. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

Will do, going get the parts in my hand before I take it apart.

11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I had to fix the gear in a T5, no in car option!!!

12. JYPSEA

JYPSEA
    from Florida

003.JPG I finally got the parts and did this job this morning. I took the tranny out, I don't think you could do this in the car. There is a pin that holds the reverse shifting arm in place that has to be removed and a thrust washer that falls out of place when you remove the housing. Had to stand tranny up on end to keep the thrust washer in place when reinstalling the tailshaft housing. What I found was a steel speedo gear that was 1 inch away from where it should have been. Someone was most likely in this trans before and forgot to drive the gear all the way on. But anyway I now have a working and correct speedometer.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      237.8 KB
      Views:
    squirrel likes this.
  13. 3030

Cool thanks for info