Register now to get rid of these ads!

History An Ironic story of a rodder and his car.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 34Larry, Apr 14, 2016.

1. dad-bud

dad-bud

Larry, congratulations on your car. Great story about 1958 and we do need you to fill us in on whether your 'little honey' became Mrs Larry or just another wadded up pair of panties you remember fondly.
    I'm sure we all wish you a happy 77th birthday in a few days and good luck finishing your coupe.
    Thanks for sharing - I'm sure your story brought a smile to more faces than just mine.

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Larry, I had a shitty day today. Thanks.

Oh............. the pics showed up.:D

3. swifty

swifty

Great story and good looking car.

4. 34Larry

34Larry

Yeah they did, too much. Still do not get the hang of this site.

dad-bud likes this.
  5. 34Larry

34Larry

Hey Dave I bought it from a guy in West Seattle who was using it as his daily driver. He bought it from a guy in Edmonds who bought it from Ben S. and he only wanted it for the hemi. He tore the Sh** out of it cutting out the center cross member and not replacing it, putting in a sick 302 ford with 4 speed and painting the leatherette interior with black paint. I talked with this guy in Edmonds and he was such a jerk I hung up on him. Tried telling me there was no bono, none!! when in fact he stuffed over 3/4 of an inch in the pockets made for the quad headlights including woven cloth and matting. Can't even imagine doing that to a Iconic Street rod.
    Your the second one to tell me of it being at Monroe. Guess I missed that one, I was on the east coast as a Vendor Surveillance field rep for Boing in the early 90's.

6. 34Larry

34Larry

OK here ya go J.J., don't puke on yourself.
    34 by Ben Sebastian (960x640).jpg

bowie and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. clem

clem

Great story.
    Pleased that you took the time to share it.
    Neat car.

Thanks

8. 34Larry

34Larry

Well yes she did. We had 3 wonderful daughters and stayed together for 25 years. Have another one now, been with me for 18 years now. Thanks for asking Bud.

dad-bud and Gotgas like this.
  9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

That's a very nice 34. Will it be full fendered again?

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1460688108.590870.jpg

Not a big fan of the banjo wheels, but it's nice to see an old car brought back.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Too cool. Nice story.

11. heavydumper

heavydumper

Some things are just meant to be. Great story, thanks for sharing.

12. desotot

desotot

Great story! I only had to wait 17yrs for my avatar.

13. I enjoyed reading the story. It's great that it worked out for you. BTW, $17K was a shitload of money to pay for a car in 1960! Glad it all worked out for you.

14. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Great, great story, but it ain't irony, it's serendipity. Enjoy the great find.

15. 34Larry

34Larry

No, no, no LTP, I didn't buy the car in 1960, I apologize for not making my story clear enough.
    The car was built the first time, (Northern Star) in 1955/56 and shown/raced up and down the west coast. Ben Sebastian bought the car, (Northern Star), from Jerry and rebuilt it into the, (Plumb Wild),
    campaigned it in the show circuit for some years and selling it in about 1990 or so to a guy north of Seattle who tore out the blown Hemi and sold it to a guy in West Seattle sometime between 1990 and 1995. I bought it from this fellow in West Seattle in 1995 for 17K. This is a real steel 1934 Ford. For the condition it was in, (no rust, chopped, a driver, good glass, wire wheels made by true spoke just for the car and in great condition) and again REAL Henry STEEL, I don't think I did all that bad. Just trying to find real steel in 95 was a chore. Try it today.
    1960 was the time frame I saw the car, (Northern Star), in the issue of Hot Rod when I was a teen ager in the Air Force while living on McConnell AFB in Wichita. If I would have had 17K to my name in 1960, I would have thought I was a Bill Gates. Sorry you misunderstood.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Richard Head

Richard Head

[​IMG]

The funny thing about this car is Ben Sebastian still can't believe that the guy he sold it to changed the car at all. He said it was "just perfect" the way it was.

17. 34Larry

34Larry

So Rich is Ben still around ? Still more history on this I'd like to know.
    I know there is a private way to communicate on this site, just don't know how.
    Maybe you do.

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

""The funny thing about this car is Ben Sebastian still can't believe that the guy he sold it to changed the car at all. He said it was "just perfect" the way it was.""

And it probably was for that time period and use..Wonder where the quad lighted fenders went?

19. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Great Story! Neat '34. Looking good! Thanks for the pictures, helps us old men!

20. Great story!

Are you still married to that honey?

21. That's a really cool story! 2 days ago I was hoping for some history on my old 34 coupe when a buddy stopped by the house and filled me in on more history that I knew existed! His knowledge goes back to the late 50s.

22. 17K in 1995 sounds more reasonable than 17K in 1960. :) Nice car!

23. F-head

F-head

is that the car that hot rod mag called the evergreen eyefull?
    was a real beauty
    cheers
    B

24. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Pics were great; layered ALL of them and got a holigram!

25. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Nothing quite as good as a love story with a happy ending. Congrats!

26. ROCKY, Now you have my attention as I just have to know what history you came up with on your 34??????????
    Wish I could come up with more on my 3 window.

27. Yes

28. 34Larry

34Larry

No. She went to work after 20 years being married, end of Larry. Can't say as I blame her, I spent most of my time involved in fishing activism and on the rivers chasing salmon and steelhead. Went her way in 83. I have 3 wonderful daughters and 2 grandchildren and she is happy with the guy she left me for and I remarried in 95. Thanks for asking.

Speedy Canuck likes this.
  29. 34Larry

34Larry

No knowledge of "evergreen eyeful", I would say no as Jerry Berg or Ben Sebastian never mentioned that name associated with this 34. I have been asked that in the past also and could not say. Rich Head who knows Ben Sebastian may know.

Need to come up with a name for it again. Thinking of North Star, Washington's Kid, 34 Hemi, any ideas from the board??

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

North Star will only work if you take it back, with fenders and all.
    Washington is only good if you plan on painting it black with flames.
    34 Hemi, only makes sense if you run no hood sides.

But if you plan on giving it a name, it would make sense to know the color and some of the features of the car.

Like if you go all in on paint and letting, in "in your face" colors, and add "Wired 34" in psychedelic paint down the side, paint it dark blue, and call it "blue in Washington". And play with the name of a beautiful ford blue called Washington Blue.

Tall more, tell all.