Register now to get rid of these ads!

292 thermostat housing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by b5benharris, Jul 27, 2012.

1. b5benharris

b5benharris

anyone know where I can get a lower thermostat housing for a 292 chevy six; early seventies engine. These engines used to be laying around every where; not so much anymore. Thanks

2. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

one from a 250 should work.

3. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I believe the housing is different for 292, has aditional largr water outlet to act as bypass I think?

4. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

Yeah they are getting tougher to find. There are being re-popped on ebay with the bottom part being thicker to give you more clearance with the valve cover.

5. DillonRK92

DillonRK92

Yeah, terryble is right, the inline six's are different, 235 and 250 have interchangeble parts but the 292 is the bastard child cause the block has a higher deck and such, I looked for parts for mine and found that out. Also, if your engine has the ORIGINAL thermostat in it that came from the factory like my '64 did and are looking to replace it, they make an adaptor piece in place of it, I got mine through car quest and the guys I work through are very knowledgeable about older engines like that. All it is is a new thermostat with a hard rubber ring and a metal neck to seat it coreectly, but depending on the gasket you might have to trim the inner hole like i had to to fit the thermostat.

6. 1964reo

1964reo
    from mn

i have one it is on a core motor it has a broken crank

7. 292Don

292Don
    from FLORIDA

Anyone know where I can get a lower thermostat housing for a 292 Chevy six??
    Did you ever find one? Do you know where I can get one?

8. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

You can probably get one from Tom Lowe over on 12bolt.com just call him as they are not listed in his store but he probably has them laying around in his shop. That's how I got mine. However, he will tell you that you do not have to use the coolant bypass hose if you are using a 292 for just street use. He feels that the coolant bypass is only needed when using the 292 in heavy trucking, farm equipment, and racing. You can also buy one of the repo's on ebay and drill it out for the coolant bypass hose if that's what you need.
    Here's one that would work
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-194-2...ash=item23666a5e82:g:1s4AAOSwAuNW2x7e&vxp=mtr

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

I bought the whole assembly for mine off ebay , there is a guy on there who makes a real nice billet set up also ,

10. GRX

GRX
    from MD

"However, he will tell you that you do not have to use the coolant bypass hose if you are using a 292 for just street use. He feels that the coolant bypass is only needed when using the 292 in heavy trucking, farm equipment, and racing."

That is my understanding as well.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"BILLET!?" Well, I never.......:rolleyes:

12. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

I likely have one in the shed.PM me if you want me to take a look.