Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A "new" Ford Model T?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zagzagel, Apr 6, 2016.

1. Zagzagel

Zagzagel

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but I'm new to the board and this is only my second posting. I'd like to ask a question of those members of the group that are far more experienced than I. Does anyone know with all of the reproductions of Model T parts out there, is it possible to build a new car exclusively out of reproduction parts, or would some antique parts have to be used? I mean period accurate all metal and/or wood parts, and not fibreglass replicas. I've been considering this for some time now, but all of the details seem to be hard to come by.

I'm looking to build a daily driver, so I'll be making a few concessions to reliability, such as using a Westscott frame, and a 2 litre Pinto or Mustang II 4 or 5 speed drive train. (I suppose you could say I'm looking to build a sort of an all metal Shay.) I know this isn't really a hot rod pour c'est, but the Pinto engine will certainly have more horsepower than the original.

2. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hmmm, not sure, but you can always go fiberglass. I'm doing one with a Volvo B16 engine and 4 spd transmission. Down here in Florida it'll be a great beater as I won't have to worry about the salty air ruining it. Would be a good option for you and probably a lot cheaper. :D

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I don't think anybody makes steel T bodies. Fender P.U. beds and a lot of other stuff. If your not making a totally stock T I don't know why fiberglass would be a problem.

4. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't have an answer for you, unfortunately. But I can tell you this - getting all the aftermarket stuff to jibe will be a lot more frustrating than finding a decent donor car (an older restoration) to swap onto a chassis.

Nailhead Jason likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

You can build a 1914 T Touring from reproduction parts if you start with a bare chassis, you need a Lang's catalog and a fairly good balance in your checking account. I think it was back in 2008 that Ford backed the building of about 10-12 of the 1914 T's. A Google search should turn up the details. Bob

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No answer, but I want to know why that turban wearing cat is staring at me.:eek: What's his name? Why is he wearing a turban? Why am I creeped out?

7. Moondog13

Moondog13

The cat is a Sikh, he's from the Punjab region in India. :D

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  8. There are tons of repro steel T parts. Look at Snyders or Langs websites. You can get fenders, hoods, Roadster and touring side panels and backs. Not sure about cowls but they're plentiful at swap meets.

9. Since you're going to use a different frame, engine, and drive train, I guess you're asking mostly about repro body parts. There are two major companies making repro sheet metal parts for T's, and those are Rootlieb in California and Howell's Sheet Metal in Texas. I called both recently asking for 1915-22 body parts and came up empty. Rootlieb says they're not currently making body parts, even though they had a complete 1913 Roadster body they made for themselves (for P.R.) at the Chickasha swap meet a couple of years ago. They make primarily hoods, fenders, and splash shields, but not the actual bodies. Howell's makes most of the body parts for 13's, but not the '14 and later ones, except for hoods fenders, and splash shields. They make some patch panels and seat back panels for those later years.

It is still possible to find fairly nice '26-7 bodies, since those were nearly all steel. The earlier ones used a wooden framework with the body panels tacked onto the wood, so they are much more difficult to find in decent condition. And a wood kit for a 'teens or early 20's Roadster body costs about $1,200. (!)

I've been restoring Model T's for the past 15+ years, so I have experience with most of the T parts suppliers. Any Model T parts you need can be found at Lang's Old Car Parts. (https://www.modeltford.com/) They have the largest selection of Model T parts anywhere -- quality parts and excellent service. (BTW, their sheet metal parts come from either Howell's or Rootlieb.) Although many folks on here use Mac's for later car parts, most Model T restorers don't buy from Mac's except as a last resort.

10. tiquer

tiquer

how about rootlieb

11. tjm73

tjm73

Be cheaper to rework a solid old restored car.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Lang's and Rootlieb are two of the best Model T Ford parts suppliers. Bob

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kitty is not Sikh, that's Queens Own Madras. Kitty is wearing British Army Lieutenant's epaulets strangely enough, not the same as Indian Army.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    Beanscoot and Moondog13 like this.
  14. Zagzagel

Zagzagel

Thanks for your prompt replies. And I suppose there's nothing wrong with fibreglass replicas. But I really love veteran and vintage cars, and I hit up about every show there is in my area. I'd much prefer to see antique cars restored, instead of being chopped up into hot rods. (I know, I know, why am on a hot rod forum, right?) There's an idiot down the street from me who's acquired a complete, running 1918 Pierce-Arrow phaeton that he wants to chop up. The car still has it's beautiful moulded and engraved art deco dash. There can only be a handful of these cars out there, so why would he want to do this to this grand auto? The whole reason I wanted the metal body parts was the seeming universal derision that is piled onto fibreglass body parts in most car shows. Here in the mid-west fibreglass would certainly survive the road salt better. But primarily I wanted to see antique parts go to restorers. Perhaps I'll have to go with a mixture of metal and fibreglass parts. But I've got a few ideas to run with now, so I'll have to put them together and see what I come up with.

(Incidentally, the "creepy cat" in my icon is my cat who died after a long illness. In my way of honouring him, I drew him a him as a colonel in the Victorian-era British Indian army. Since he was a Bengal, I dressed him in the uniform of the Bengal Army. There were three primary native armies; the Bengal Army, the Madras Army and the Bombay Army.)

Beanscoot and Moondog13 like this.
  15. adam401

adam401

You don't like to see cars get hot rodded but you do want to put a vanilla engine into a t body? Are you lost?

Truck64 and kiwijeff like this.
  16. Moondog13

Moondog13

Go to Modelthaven.com, lots of good complete cars at VERY reasonable prices there. You can start with a solid metal car and make it go go go! By the way, if you want something a little cooler to putt around with than a Pinto motor you can go Volvo B18 or B20, dual carbs, indestructible and pretty quick. If you go with a later B20 you can get it with an overdrive too! :D

17. Squablow

Squablow

You can buy new steel Model A roadster bodies complete and assembled, if you don't want to cut up an original. There are also a few guys here on the HAMB who have built T roadster bodies out of all new steel that they formed themselves, I'm sure you could get someone to make you one if you were willing to pay.

However, there are enough unloved model T Fords out there yet that you should be able to find one and just build your chassis and drivetrain to go under it, which would also help you get it titled and registered.

18. Crazybillybob

Crazybillybob
    from Ohio

Zag,
    They made 15+ million Ford Model T's. There are plenty of nice old parts for the guys that want to restore them. There are also plenty of nice old parts for guys that want to hot rod them. DON'T FEEL BAD CUTTING ONE UP!
    (I didn't :D ) Check Craigslist or even the sale thread here. You can find a Model T in just about any shape you want within a few months of looking at a reasonable price. With that being said I'm told that you can own just one. After you buy the first one you'll want a second or third.

Best of Luck!
    CBB

19. The 1927 T is the one I would choose. You could buy a new steel 1927 roadster or pickup body a few years back. Not sure if they are still available though. The Shadow Rods XL 27 is not an exact reproduction - being longer and wider in the cockpit;

[​IMG]

http://shadowrods.com/

20. officerfalfa

officerfalfa

There are individuals in the Model T world that build bodies other than Howells and Rootlieb.

Some "T" parts that I can think of off the top of my head that are not readily available as new reproductions:

-Frame
    -Engine block
    -Rear axle housings
    -Rear axle radius rods
    -Rear differential spider gears
    -Front axle
    -Front spindles
    -Torque tube
    -Steering column
    -Wishbone
    -Oil pan
    -Transmission hogshead
    -Engine flywheel, magnets, & coil ring

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thank you. I thought I was having a bad reaction to my meds.:confused:

22. Yes, and none of those parts will be required for the OP's build, as he laid it out in his first post. ;)

23. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

For the 2003 "100 Anniversary" of Ford Motor Co. FoMoCo built 6 completely new 1914 Model T tourings. The plan was to build 100, but the task became to daunting, so only 6 were built. They sourced everything that was already available from the model T parts suppliers, and then they manufactured the rest. The bodies were built in Sweden, and were dead on, I've seen them. The toughest part was the oil pan. If you've ever seen a T pan you'll know why, and they spent a ton of $ making the pans. There was a really good article in the Model T Club Of America magazine on these cars.

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  24. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The best part of this resurrected thread is the discussion about cats.

Mika123 likes this.
  25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Some guy a couple of years reported on a Model T Restorers Forum, that another guy had built /assembled an early years Model T from new parts and offered it for sale at one of those Barrett Jackson style auction and got huge $'s for it as a stocker...