Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods flathead help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shineRUMRUN, Apr 6, 2016.

1. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

what I have is an early 24 stud flatty , was told when I bought it was a 46? but no casting #on half bell . also has 59ab on the right an 59a on the left wanting to get rebuild if it is a suitable choice &candidate for my 33 ford pick-up .also has the crab dist, 2 bolt ,just want to make the rite move before I let go off any cash .if not I will keep on the hunt for a better one thanks any advice is welcome.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. 1pickup

1pickup

If it is a '46, it should have 59 cast into the "bell housing." Pull off the head & look at the center water outlets. If it has a triangle shaped one at the top & 2 large round ones under it, it's a '46-'48. You called it "early," which indicates it's a '38-'41. If it has the triangle upper outlet & 2 trapezoidal ones under it, it's a '39-'42. If all are triangular, it's a '38. Does that help?

LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. 36tbird

36tbird

Lots of things to consider to find out if a f/h engine is a good one. You did not supply near enough info here for knowledgeable types to give you an evaluation. Is it a runner currently? If so, does the seller know its rebuild history? If it is a basket motor, then there is a reason someone tore it down and blocks need careful examination to know if a rebuild is merited. There is a lot of info on this site and FordBarn.com. Good luck.

4. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

thanks for the help an I called it early as I have a 8ba in my 34 coupe my mistake, it also has the intake with the tall oil spout up front ? it is just a block I picked up and thought it may be used as it was somewhat complete, that was on it way to the scrap yard as the old gentleman was cleaning up to sell his property an he was told it was a 46 when he got it.

5. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

thanks for the advice well taking, just one i picked up an wanted to be sure it was worth doing if all was good upon a closer look inside an a trip to get it checked out further at the machine shop ?? as it was sitting a long spell and not tore down. also has 59ab on the right head an 59a on the left if that is any help .thanks again any help is good help here .

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  6. Pics always help. Is the block "raised" where the intake would sit? Tim

7. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

will ckeck that out tomorrow, also wil remove a head to have a good look and gather more info???

8. Pictures would help a lot!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Excited here, my bud gifted me with a factory relieved '47 Merc complete, one bad piston.
    .040" over, and I found a matching piston! Bonanza.....
    Hope yours pans out...(if you use those heads, make sure you compare and C.C them.)

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

First look: Raised pad under manifold='41-WWII
    Vertical ridges (2) on each side of block leading down to freeze plugs on pan rails=39-40
    Length of protruding crank snout tells whether '38 or later
    water holes in decks tell whether cast as 221 or 239, as 221 can be bored to 23p