Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Where to buy steel reverse wheels for 63 Riviera??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cornpanzer, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

Thinking that I would like to put black (not chrome) steel reverse wheels with spider caps on my 63 Riv this spring...but I am not having any luck finding bare reverse rims in 5x5 bc.
    Anyone got any suggestions?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Snake9t9

Snake9t9

3. No............not allowed.....please......are you planning to " murder out" the Riv.....Hi Dave

4. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

Snake, thanks for the reply. I dont want smoothies, but a true reversed OEM style wheel. Basically chrome reverse...but without the chrome.
    Matt aka "loveoftwinkies" no murder here. Leaving the skinny whites, but I just dont really like chrome wheels. Might change my mind tho.

Snake9t9 likes this.

5. Ahhh good times Dave... That cars way to classy for plain black steel wheels!

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Buy some Buick wheels made before 1955 ... reverse them yourself. Then find some clips & some '63 LeSabre hubcaps. Cheap shit on a Riv don't make it ...

7. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

Hmmm...interesting idea. Thanks. Are you talking about the small dog-dish caps?
    FWIW, i'm not trying to go cheap...just want an early 60's custom look.

8. Be aware that the Buick hubs have a larger diam center hole requirement for the wheels. Aftermarket may be big enough, but OEM steel you essentially need Buick wheels. Ran into this on my old 64 Riviera.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Sorry to imply cheapness on your end - I meant the Chinese plated, self tapping screwed junk sold now. Mounted on a Buick with their unique center doesn't sound good. A bunch of possibilities on wheels, as '48 - '55 used rim widths from 5'' to 6 1/2". Just look for rivets before you buy unless you do machine work. Any Buick cap from '41 up will fit, & they made some nice ones. I had a set of Corvair baldies on a '50. The clips are going to be the hardest part, but the Olds/Pontiac snap-in type from the '50s work if you can find them.

10. I have a set of factory 64 Riv steelies and some old school reverse wires also off a 64 Riv. PM me

11. Dave.
    ...reversed wires......that's the ticket! Black steel wheels and pinner whites on a white car? Sounds like a turd in the punch bowl

12. Lol, hahahaha. "Turd in a punchbowl", is one I will have to use. The steelies are not bad on any Riv, really depends on what tire and if you run spider caps or not. On a white car, I would do the wheels same color as the interior or some other offset color. White is a tough color on a 63/64 Riv, but looks great on a 65. Crazy

13. This is just a referance picture.
    This is a stock 1955 Buick wheel with
    a clipped small cap, original factory, not modified.
    There is a sinificant front side offset.
    Also they are 5 on 5.
    PC050008.JPG PC050009.JPG

14. Cornpanzer

Cornpanzer

What is the width of that wheel Tony? Does it have the holes for clips near the center? Thanks

15. I can't swear but the info is out there.
    I THINK it is a 6 inch wheel.
    Which I THINK is the same as the '63 Buick wheel.
    The cap is held by the clips but notice the
    center section of the wheel is a pretty big diameter.
    I believe this was the last year Buick used a small cap
    as the "economy cap". Most of the Buicks had a full cap.
    Also, the full size cap wheel, I don't think came with the
    clips, so they are comparitively rare. Aditionally, the Pontiacs
    up to at least '63, also had a "poverty cap" option, but it
    was smaller and popped on the 3 outie bulges on the
    inner wheel center. the caps are different diameter, different mount.
    Pontiac was also 5 on 5.
    Olds was the same as Pontiac as I remember.
    Cadillac up to I think '58 has the same bolt pattern but no provision
    for a small cap. the picture is a '56 Cadillac wheel.
    About '59 Cadillac started to "reverse" form the center of the wheel.
    This had the effect of providing a wider track for the Cadillac
    without changing anything but the forming tools. With these wheels,
    you need to run a full cap. They look like somebody put the wheels
    on backwardsI They were still 5 on 5.
    I don't have a picture of this.
    Hop I didn't give too much info!
    Good luck! l-78-15 004.JPG

16. FYI, the early 60's and 50's wheels I have seen are 5" wide. The 63-65 steelies are 5.5" wide. The stock chrome Rallye/Magnum are 6" wide.

17. This.......

Attached Files:

18. Or this.........the choice is clear......black steel wheels on a Riv is like granny panties on a supermodel

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    jcmarz and just Matt like this.
  19. I remember these cars new, and how that Riv stock wheel knocked me out.
    They still do. Maybe sometimes the original is still the best! Riveria-rim.jpg

jcmarz likes this.
  20. I tend to agree...Rivs are knockouts from the get go! A little stance adjustment, some better sounding mufflers, and it's go time.
    You have 3 choices....
    Wires
    Supremes
    Chrome OE wheels

21. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wheel Vintiques...he can make them for you.

22. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why don't you "plasti-dip" the factory rims black. Cheap. Probably a cool nod to the factory shoes but gets rid of the chrome AND if you don't like it or ever want to go back, just peal it off.

23. SIC98

SIC98

I thought about going the steel wheels with Shannon caps route on my 65 Rivi because I could not find a Spider cap in a 5X5 pattern anywhere, that was a few years ago so someone may have them now, I'm just sticking with the Buick road wheels for now... Brian IMG01712-20120928-1858.jpg