Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Big project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Well things change suddenly. Was on a high sunday from helping Canudigit with the steering sector delimma. And yesterday a big turd was dropped on us. The Big Agri folks who own the land just across the Highway. directly south of us. They moved in a string of earth moving eqiptment. Their building those chicken grower houses. The hold 250 thousand chickens. And those things smell like dead rotting corpse. Its unhealthy and has lots of ammonia and other bad stuff. And the prevailing wind is from the south. I can see the work going on a this very moment from where im setting. I find myself wishing a big sink hole like happened at the corvette museum would open up and swallow that equiptment LOL . We will not and cannot live here any longer. So We are moving. We kept our ten acres three miles away. Its west of here and across the eleven point river. We haven't even turned off the electric over there. Im not gonna shift this entire hoard. Ive got four school buses and two box trucks to put the good stuff. And Keep about at most fifty vehicles. The remander is going for scrap. At 65 im not relishing the thought of moving. Kinda disappointing. The last half dozen years I worked. When I was herding that ole pete down the road. I would day dream about drawing social security and playing with my hoard and hobby farming. For a bit over two years I was living the life of Riley. Happier than a duck with two mud puddles. And that's coming to a screeching halt. Its still a little thing its not like someone you love dying. So it will work out in the end

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post some pics of your collection

3. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

That's a helluva note, have you checked to see if those huge chicken houses are allowed in the zoning laws of your county? I agree about the smell and the health hazards. In fact about 50 years ago, a local eye dr. died after contracting some disease from putting chicken manure on his decorative bushes around his house. Seems the stuff is bad news until it goes thru a "heat". OK after that.
    You could fight them in court, but most likely they already are confident that they would win out. Money talks. Prolly cost a lot of money to fight them, and still lose the fight.

4. Best of luck, post some pics of your hoard!

5. See if you had given me that '56 more door you would have less stuff to move. mean-devil-smiley-emoticon.gif

I hear ya. I got to move one more time ( I hope). We are boxing stuff o now to start moving it to our new place, the difference is we are moving because we want to.

I am really sorry to hear that you have to move. I'll talk to the missus and see if she wants to spend a weekend in your neck of the woods if you want. Her pickup is good for hauling chit.

6. bchctybob

bchctybob

Well, that's a damned shame. Nothing stops the progress on the fun stuff faster than moving a household. Good thing is; you'll probably find stuff you thought you had lost forever - lol.
    Sounds like you have the acreage at the new place to still do your "hobby farming" providing you are selective about how much you bring along. You comfortable having your hoard a distance away?
    Good luck......

7. There are ten acres at our old place. about two acres tillable the rest steep glade rock, Starve a Goat, faces north east, colder than the artic in winter doesn't get much sun. It has a good well and a 20x30 cabin built on to a 20x28 shop. Have a large ravine thru the middle. It has a 1980,s 14 x60 house trailer that had deteoriated and is falling down. We plant to kinda just camp out there. Empty the corner out and sell it. Just use it as a jumping off place. use the money from the sale to buy something remote where the don't have chicken houses. My wife was watching the TV show Married with children. Se seen the episode where the Bundys visited a cursed blighted place called Umcton that was the Bundys ancestorial homeland. She named our old place Umcton.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. My puter crashed and I lost all my pictures. I have posted lots of pictures on various threads that you can view

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

A quarter million chicken butts can make enough stink that you may still smell 'em at the other place! We have turkey farms in our area, thank God we are up on a bluff and the winds blow cross-ways between them and us.
    You don't suppose this is bad JuJu for boilin pistons in the wife's kitchen, do you??

10. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

No offense but why are you scraping the rest? Make more sense to let people pull parts or buy stuff off you then just to send it off to be crushed...?

11. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Those chicken houses are probably owned behind the scene by some monster agri-corp, municipal zoning doesnt apply to those guys, they can do what they damn well please...;)

belair likes this.
  12. Because there simply are not any buyers that are ready willing and able. Ive been attempting to sell parts for years. So farThis year all I have sold is a 57 chevy rearend $100 . This Sunday Hamb Member Canudigit Bought a steering sector $65. That's it since Jan 1st.There will be chickens there within 90days. I aint got forever to mess around with lowballing cherry picking bargain hunters.. The scrap man don't care about condition and pays cash. Don't worry I will whap the bejabbers out of the bodys with the backhoe rear bucket. It will be sure enough scrap.

13. BINGO

14. anything is possible? I doubt we will smell the chicken houses from our other place. its west of here and in a different valley. Our winds are mostly from the south and west.

15. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Don't cash in just yet. I do a lot of stripe work for a guy on a chicken (egg) ranch. they keep a MILLION laying hens on site at all time. The ventilation system they run and the cleanliness of their operation blows me away.
    Cant smell a thing, not even dusty or noisy.

patmanta likes this.
  16. Likely different regs in your state. There are lots hundreds of those grower houses already here. They really smell bad.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I think GG has a point OW. Maybe you should check around on some chicken houses that have been built recently in OK, and if possible, in your county. There may be newer laws on this than you are familiar with. But you do have to consider that CO may have stricter laws on this than OK. But it is worth a check , not too sure who with though. Maybe the OK environmental pollution people? Worth a phone call.

18. Maybe the chicken people would buy your place, probably pay more than the going rate as well. Can't hurt to ask about that.

19. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

If you've got so many cars that you're gonna keep "about at most fifty vehicles" then I'd say you've got enough tonnage to warrant looking into having an auction. That will draw out the classic guys looking for parts & project cars, then the scrap guys will snag everything else.

20. Up in North Central Missouri the big deal is pig lots. my county did something to keep them out but the surrounding counties haven't done anything or maybe it was too late. you can smell a pig farm a long ways off. I worked on an egg ranch back in the '70s for a while, I really feel for ya man.

I started to say, maybe fellas like us would do you well picking things over, but I do understand the pain of dealing with the general public. When we moved over this way I ran an ad for free parts stuff I was never going to use and people actually wanted me to give them a guarantee for the stuff. We rented a dumpster.

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Old Wolf posts his address right in his avatar, so I GoogleMap.Com'd it. WOW! Here's what I see, across the hwy (Hwy 90) from you, where the chicken farm will be, is a creek that parallels the road, and there's bound to be "runoff" polluting that creek, so from an environmental aspect, I don't see how they can get away with that; at least around here it would be a valid reason. Unless it's across the other hwy (Hwy 93)? May be too little, too late, however. You've got your work cut out for you, there's a bunch of of stuff to haul off. Good luck. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. belair

belair

We are getting a cement manufacturing plant. One of the city officials, speaking about the EPA and how they know about toxins given off said " The EPA would rather kill a few people in the country than a lot of people in the city." Sorry about the unfortunate turn of events. I need the upper hood latch and mount for a 46-48 Chevy car if you have one the scrap man will get. Shoot me a PM and I'll buy it.

23. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

PECO Foods built a huge chicken processing plant in Pocahontas over the last year. It should just be opening up. It has a hatchery right on the property. It's a solid guess that this facility is theirs too if you are looking for an owner to question.

They had to jump through some major hoops with DNR on that site over a wetland and their planned pollution control. It delayed the project start for several months. There may be a chance that your new neighbor will have some fairly strict pollution standards as well.

24. Hey @Old wolf check your PMs when you get a chance.

25. Im in Arkansas and the Arkansas legislature passed a state law that a grower house doesn't need a environmental permit. That is in conflict with federal laws.

26. No your looking at it correctly. the chicken house is across hwy 90. That free flowing stream flows into the Eleven point river about a mile and a half from here. And The Eleven point is on the list of natural and senic wild rivers. In just gonna move. Im trying real hard to not give it free rent in my head. Ive got better things to do than get involved in a protracted court battle. As you go through life your priorities change. Its been stated a wise man can change his mind a fool never does? We have this little Grandson Chris who is 28 months old. And he loves it here. He stays with us for several days at a time. He is my shadow when he is here. A born motor head. And We where thinking about just hanging on to the hoard and if he stays interested when he is old enough give it all to him. We gave our sons bought and paid for land. And they can have anything they want as long as we are not in need of it. And we fully intend on helping our grandsons get a good start. We want to try and stay healthy and live long enough to see what they become when grown. Never planned on moving it entirely. So we will keep a select portion of the (good stuff) just in case the grandkids want them someday.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  27. yes im 11 miles west of Pocahontas. This area had been so impoverished that the majority of the folks think the chicken business is the best thing that could happen. They measure wealth in dollars. I measure wealth in the quality of life. Different strokes for different folks.

28. Yeah, when state/local government climbs into bed with Big Business, the average citizen is who usually gets screwed. There is something to be said for those pesky lefty 'gubmint regulations' sometimes...

CowboyTed likes this.
  29. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't get this statement. The EPA isn't the one killing the people - the company behind the plant is in the example given.*

*not to be considered a political comment but rather a clarification of where ultimate responsibilities lie.*