Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects -Black & White- 1929 x2

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mbrus, Sep 26, 2015.

1. mbrus

mbrus

Thanks for the tip. Is there anything specific that has to be done before/ during break in? I've heard special oil to help break in the cam and an oil pressure gauge is a must have. This is a first time thing for me

2. mbrus

mbrus

I've been plugging away at the roadster far more than my sedan, summer is almost here for convertible season! The pitman arm was touching the split bones so I torched it red hot then bent it over and re-tapered the hole.
    S.jpg
    That freed a little space! next up was building a box for the fuel tank, battery, dog, or whatever else decides to come along for a cruise.
    round.jpg tank.jpg
    complete.jpg
    +Stain
    boxstain.jpg

3. mbrus

mbrus

As you can see on the above pictures, I cannibalized some original 1950 exhaust manifolds to make junk headers. I mostly made them to check clearances, however they clearly looked amateur. So I picked up some assorted bends and flanges and made my own, properly this time :)
    sketch.jpg
    puzzle.jpg tail.jpg
    chunks.jpg
    shiny.jpg
    Cut it, grind it, turn it, tack it, cut it, twist it, torch re-weld it, then sort of polished. Pretty happy with it, have no idea what to do with it now though... maybe I'll just let it rust until I figure it out. RUST NEVER SLEEPS :)

4. mbrus

mbrus

Then was the fun part, time to make things fancy. Engine went gold, chassis went black. Made one hell of a mess painting the chassis inside..:confused: oops.
    partgold.jpg gold.jpg
    frame.jpg
    frame+.jpg

5. mbrus

mbrus

Then the body. Used a brush to paint the inside and the bottom because I learned from my mistakes :)
    topheavy.jpg
    Then I loaded it in a pickup and brought it to my place of employment for paint! I didn't think the firewall was flat enough for gloss black paint so I wanted to do a design. The brake cylinder sits inside the firewall as well so there was an ugly plate that needed covering. Well I wasn't real happy with how the firewall looked so I smelled change in the air.
    paint.jpg
    A few days before I discovered the process of engine turning, the art of scratching material with overlapping circles creating a interesting pattern. First, I practiced on an old ipod in a drill press(stainless backing)
    ipod.jpg
    The problem with doing a sheet the size of a firewall is the throat depth of the average drill press is not even close to big enough to reach the center of a 32' sheet. Improvising was necessary. I discovered this ancient drill press in an old shed, looks home built. I plugged it in and flicked the switch but was just heard a click, followed with disappointment. Took apart the mangled switch and hotwired it, tada! came to life. The next issue was making the drill press so I could scrub below the base line. With a bit of modification I made exactly what I was looking for, for free :)
    mangled.jpg
    I used an aluminum sheet, about 14 ga? and marked a 1" grid with pencil vintage.jpg

scrub.jpg
    As you can see, I cut a 2x5 down so the drill could mount on top and the sheet could slide under. Then just had to modify the drill's travel and it was perfect. Drill started smoking once so I got an unintentional coffee break until the old beast cooled down. Then trimmed with a jigsaw
    snip.jpg tada.jpg
    engineturn2.jpg
    almost2.jpg
    Well I suppose that's about it for now. I better get out there, car doesn't build itself :)

6. AmishMike

AmishMike

Great firewall - got to figure out how I can do that. Love your buildSSSSS...