Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Pontiac Wagon - Mild Custom

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by CLM, Jan 25, 2016.

1. CLM

CLM

My seal problems are almost solved. Ordered a NOS transmission tail shaft seal off of eBay, should arrive next Monday.

The pinion seal was a little harder. It was a National 6244 and Kanter sold me a Victor 49588, which should have been right, but it just dropped in the hole. It was close, but not right, guessing the Chinese stamping must have been crap. Plus my pinion had a groove worn in it. So I bought a Timken 710105. Slightly smaller center hole to solve the worn pinion and slightly larger outer diameter to press in tightly. Sanded the paint off so it could be pressed in, then ground the lip down so it would clear the pinion.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458609920.043971.jpg

2. Just now seeing this project. Going to be a nice looking car. I've been doing POR15 on the inside of my Merc as projects expose undone areas. I've been real happy with the results and it's been holding up well.

You are going to be real happy with John's work when you bring it in. He just replaced the trunk pan and a rear 1/4 on my 64 Pontiac. Did a fantastic job!!

3. CLM

CLM

Thanks! I've been watching them do the work on your '64 on facebook. I've been impressed with all of the work that I've seen of John's and they're good people. So there was no question on who would paint the wagon. Just glad he was ok with me bringing it to him in primer ready for the last block and spray. My budget doesn't allow any more than that. Now I just have to get back on schedule so I can get it done in time.

drdave likes this.
  4. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

None of the "before" shots show inside...did it just have the front seat, or did you get the rare back ones in the deal!

5. CLM

CLM

Yes, three rows of seats. Middle seat is 2/3rds width to you can go through to the back. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1459612519.919992.jpg

6. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

7. need to do lay some Dynamat in my 60 Sedan Delivery today...looking good !

8. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

SWEET...you scored. And even harder to find than good seat frames is that inner "L" handle on the upper liftgate...believe it or not.
    Those are the rarest pieces on these, some would argue. I don't know why, but they are "always" gone. I have bought parts cars that were sitting for decades, 100% complete...and still that handle is always gone.

You did okay on that car...nice welding work you've done, too.
    Good luck.