Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Classics as daily drivers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by keddevel, Mar 31, 2016.

1. 46stude

46stude

LOL!! That's fracking hilarious shit right there. There are more opinions on the definition of the term "classic car" than there are on the definition of "traditional hot rod".

Tim likes this.
  2. You might check with the AACA for the PROPER definition...They are the ones that make the rules on it. Hilarious or not..

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 46stude

46stude

That's their definition. Like I said- hilarious.

4. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

60 miles a day, at least 5 days a week for the last 4 years. No modern drivetrain parts, all old junk. Take care of it and expect to maintain it and it'll keep going. It's an enjoyable life driving something old everyday.
    image.jpeg

5. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Some times the drive is classic, sometimes the drive is epic.
    Barely OT 67 f-250 with a Cleveland, majorly OT, but cool, 27 Bugatti kit.
    61 Galaxie soon and then a 57 Country Sedan.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

Rules? LOL

No one makes the "rules" on it.

7. lucas doolin

lucas doolin

The issue of whether or not to drive your old/classic/special interest car always reminds me of the 1957 Plymouth that was entombed in Tulsa. The take-away is it's far less harmful to drive your car, even every day, than it is to just let it sit. I am insured with State Farm and my agent says there is no limit on when, where or how I drive my "antiques" as long as I have a later model registered and insured for normal, daily type use. I know all HAMBers would agree it's way more fun to drive your HAMBmobile and it also gets many more (s)miles per gallon.

Here's the story on the entombed 1957 Plymouth. I bet there are a goodly number of '57 Plymouth daily drivers still in service in Tulsa that were not entombed.

The car, a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere, was buried in Tulsa as a vehicular time capsule to commemorate Oklahoma’s 50th birthday. The car was put into the earth with much fanfare. The city fathers, in news reports at the time, said they were proud of the care with which they buried the car, confident that it would be in good condition when disinterred 50 years later.
    The Plymouth was the prize in a contest whose winner most closely guessed Tulsa’s population 50 years in the future.
    The winner was Raymond Humbertson, who died in 1979, so the car was awarded to his sisters: Levada Carney, now 86, and Catherine Johnson, 95.
    But water had seeped into the concrete crypt housing the car. So when the Belvedere was dug up in June 2007, there was a bit of the same letdown as when Geraldo Riveraopened Al Capone’s vault in 1986. That vault was empty, and the one in Tulsa contained a rusted shell of a once-gorgeous car.

8. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Rules ? Are you serious ? Good grief, rules are for strange people who need structure to something they should just be enjoying.
    Give it a rest. Rules :rolleyes:

Correct.

Nailhead Brooklyn and wvenfield like this.
  9. MineWrench

MineWrench
    from Globe, AZ

I don't see anything wrong with it - that dude from Hagerty did the deal a while back with a whole year of a Model A as his sole transportation.

Other than long interstate road trips, I have no use for a new car. I just rent one for the trip then go back to actually enjoying driving.

10. This is what I got my wife to believe. I said that it saves us money to drive an old car. Frist there's NO CAR PAYMENT, second the INSURANCE is cheaper, third very easy to WORK ON, forth Parts are easy to get, Fifth it only Appreciates, and Sixth and most important, It MORE FUN too drive! I'm not saying all cars fit this.But tri fives and model A s do. Hay give me a break SHE bought it. ha. ha. Ron...

11. [​IMG]

Man,that's a beautiful car. HRP

12. Tim,you have been a member for years and I don't doubt you have seen post like this in the past,what hasn't been discussed time and again over the last decade? try to remember
    you and I have a long history but there are thousands of new guys,no harm ,no foul. HRP

13. abner36

abner36

Ah yea drive a non hamb friendly 72 c/10 every day while i am trying to put a 64 c/10 and a 53 chev car together then I will have 3 "old car " daily drivers :cool: sun, rain, snow bring it on thats how we roll in the pnw:D

Capt Chap and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. Arkiehotrods, you been driving that 56 Nomad .Ever since I met you on line. That is 1 KOOL daily driver.Bruce.

Ron Funkhouser and arkiehotrods like this.
  15. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Haha! I said the same thing to my wife when I got the Nomad 25 years ago! When I got the '40 a month ago, she asked, will it appreciate like the Nomad so I can sell them both when you die?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

SR100 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah. To be fair it normally doesn't bother me much but there's a long one that was started not that long ago that's been in the top page or two the last few months so it wouldn't have even required a search just a slow glance at the page to find it.

Been hanging out with Beaner to much my evolution into a cranky old man had been sped up haha

17. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

I think most everybody here would be into daily driving their old stuff. It's the HAMB. What do you drive and where are you. These things make some difference. Did you do an intro?

18. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do. At one time or another, all my cars have at least driven me to work, the hardware stores, etc. I drive my '53 Ford the most of all. Like an earlier post, 50's cars seem to be more practical, however, the most joy comes from driving a classic to get parts for a broken down late-model.

19. ken bogren

ken bogren

< We drive the Falcon quite a lot in the spring to fall seasons unless there is big rain forecast.

20. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

Must be this one...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/daily-drivers-the-good-bad-and-the-ugly.995697/

:D

21. A Boner

A Boner

The way I see it.
    Wife = late model family vehicle.
    Husband = classic car or hot rod & a winter beater for bad weather days.
    Everyone is happy.

22. this works here except my wife wanted a "classic" car/hot rod two seater convertible to race around in nice weather, finally found one for her and fixed it up.........now everyone is happy.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  23. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Sure, why not? That's even sometimes part of the fun, because some folks will never be able to wrap their mind around it, they are not mechanically inclined and never will be. I get that too, some folks ONLY tool is a checkbook. That's cool too. Just don't tell me I'm spending too much money. Amortized over many years this is cheap transportation, with many smiles per gallon, and in recent years even some price appreciation as collectibles.

But I can clearly recall years ago seeing a "classic" old pickup and thinking how cool that would be, the Citation just ain't cutting it. Now I'm "that guy" and see younger folks looking wistful or smiling. Hm.

I'd avoid it though, if the commute involves lots of stop and go, or lots of idle time and hot, blazing weather with the Sun bearing down. That sucks.

Depending on the route/length though it may even be preferable. Take the back roads, turn on 650 WSM, maybe even just say "Fuck It" and just keep drivin'. It's a nice day for a road trip.

The motor never runs as smooth on vacation as it does going into work, seems like. Ever notice that?

24. Lifes too short, enjoy it and drive it like I do and the parts are way cheaper then the newer cars and trucks.{my wife drives a 03 G.M.C. Envoy so I know about the parts price} LOL. Bruce. 001 (8).JPG 001 (8).JPG

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

26. Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
    arkiehotrods and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. My daily driver.... stuff 222.jpg

28. ...............Let me know when you find that, Ron.:D;)

29. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Well, everyone needs a '56 Nomad or a '40 Ford coupe to go to shows and cruises and such, as well as an old Duesenberg to drive as an every day beater!

30. 46stude

46stude