Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Looking for some graphics help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by casper50, Mar 29, 2016.

1. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

1947 Alaska license plates are very rare. I'm going to try and make a reproduction but have very little knowledge/skill set to do so. I have 8 or 9 photos of plates but would like to make the 4 numbers on the plate be 1947. Can anyone help change the numbers? Also, anyone know where I could then send the finished photo to have a sticker made? I have the correct blue soy license plate material. Thanks.

Attached Files:

• 0.jpg
      0.jpg
      File size:
      34.7 KB
      Views:
    • license.PNG
      license.PNG
      File size:
      317.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  3. I read a thread a couple of months ago about a guy on here that restores plates. I'm sure He could be of some help. Search and see what comes up.

4. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

I've found a few but of the two that would answer me, both say that the will not make a 5 1/2 x 8 5/8 plate

5. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

sThey are made of soybeans, sort of a hard cardboard. I can't find anyone that makes those. I have an old Illinois plate made of the same stuff and the correct blue. I was going to cut it down and put a sticker on the side with the numbers so that it resembles the real thing.

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. They didn't have the year, 47, so I went with 45, and got this.
    license_20160329080636_60853.jpg

7. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Jeff I need the 47 in blue and yellow to run as YOM. that looks great though. By the way, who didn't have 47? Did you find that on a site?

8. hotrod37

hotrod37
    from Indiana

These help? Done quick.

Attached Files:

9. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

those look nice. Hate to ask but could the blue be all one shade? Anyone know where I could get a sticker made?

10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Take your material and visit the local sign shop they'll have a decal plotter and be able to cut it out.

Remember though, making a fraudulent plate can land you in the slammer, making real plates!

11. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Not many sign shops where I live in Alaska. I'm only going to put it on when I display it.

12. So, since you have the soy stuff, you just need to change the numbers, is that right? I assume thy are not pressed in but stenciled. Finding someone to create a sticker to cover the whole plate is what you after? It may take some looking but should be do-able. I guess painting the blue and adding some letters if push comes to shove huh? I hope you find a source, good luck. Tim

13. toml24

toml24

Here is a Photoshop enhanced image.
    1947-Alaska Plate.jpg

14. madfish

madfish

15. alchemy

alchemy

Look up screen printing. That's how the originals were made. Maybe it might be a fun project to do it yourself.

If there are no local sign makers that can do it, get friendly with a small time T shirt printer and see if they can help you. It'll take a different ink, but the concept and screens are the same.

16. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Thanks guys. Madfish that looks pretty good but the font is off. I appreciate your helping.

17. madfish

madfish

Casper, if you know what font it is let me know and I'll try and find it. I don't have anything like that in my font folder.

18. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Sorry I don't have any idea. I was trying to take numbers off of 1941 thru 1946 plates to cut and past and then I was going to try and color them. My laptop doesn't have the right stuff to accomplish this. I don't get home from Utah for another 3 days.

19. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Alaska License Plates http://www.licenseplates.tv/alaska-144.html?=
    License plates were first issued to all motor vehicles in 1921 in Alaska Territory. Prior to 1921, the Territory of Alaska issued license plates to for-hire vehicles only. Alaska became a State in 1959 so all license plates issued prior to 1959 were issued by the Territory of Alaska.

20. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

they do not list any older than 56

21. Contact them with your concept and see if they will do a one off for you. They will probably jump all over it because that will put them in the position to produce a larger or expanded product line.

I have said this countless times and will not stop until it sinks through the thick skulls of the internet bread hoodlums on this site, just because a site does not list what you are after does not mean that it does not exist, pick up the phone and find a real person to talk to.

22. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

They want $100 to do one that is embossed not flat and the size is incorrect. I'll keep searching. Don't mind paying for what I want but if I pay that much it should be correct.

23. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I agree. Sweat the details and get it right.

That being said, I think you will be horribly disappointed with decals, especially in that electric yellow.

The originals had ink/paint letters that would have been unique in color, gloss, texture and appearance.

Likely the yellow was originally applied using a lead or chrome chemistry which will have a completely different look than plastic lettering, especially since it was also slightly translucent.

Since you already have the accurate base material, I would highly recommend talking with an old time sign painter and see what they recommend to finish the job properly.

My two cents...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. How much of a stickler are you for getting the typeface correct?

25. casper50

casper50
    from alaska

Very. Not much use if it isn't correct. My son's friend sent me this.

Attached Files:

26. In that case, you'll need someone that can re-create the numbers and letters in a program such as Adobe Illustrator. None of the standard Windows or Mac typefaces will match, and it may be a lot of work to track down the correct one if its even available in a digital form.