Register now to get rid of these ads!

thickstun intake pricing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flathead A, Mar 11, 2007.

1. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

I recently found a duel carb thickstun intake for a flathead. can any one tell me what they are worth.I want to give the guy an offer ,just don't know where to start,and don't want to insult him with a uneducated offer.It has the tall intake runners on them.Any input would be appreciated.
    thanks

2. flathead4d

flathead4d

Unfortunately the tall Thickstun intakes are going for big bucks. I think because of their rareity. Most of the ones I have seen are going for four to five hundred dollars.

3. A brand new one can be bought from our pal Vaphead for $645. Try http://www.riley-auto.com/. A great guy, great service, great product. Go to him!

4. Magnus B

Magnus B

Is it the early (DM-7?) or late version (Pm-7)? The early pre-war intake are much rarer than the later one. The early lacks the connection between the highrise runners.

//Magnus

5. warbozz

warbozz

The originals have better casting quality that the new ones as far as I'm concerned. Offer $500.00 and go up to $600.00 if 5 bills isn't enough- that's assuming ther are no cracks, repairs, modifications etc.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I didn't realize the repros had gone up in price that much - I recall Tony Baron offering them for $450 just a couple years ago...

...I've got an old original - misspelled on eBay, got it for very reasonable several years ago.

The poop on these is they're supposedly one of the better 2x2 out there. Joe Abbin recently did some dyno testing swapping intakes out & found it didn't make nearly the HP that an Offy Super Dual did, but a 3x2 made the best power of the three (all used fresh 97s from Jere Jobe).

I'm still going to run mine!

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I run a repro on my a-coupe and love it... Great throttle response and the motor revs through it's range without ever falling on its face.

8. banjorear

banjorear

Warbozz- I'd don't know that I agree with your observation. I know that Tony B.'s first run of PM-7's were Buddy Carr castings and are far superior IMHO to the originals. I also belive that Tony B. tweaked/cleaned up the runner design of the casting buck of his repops.

This is not meant to be an endorsement of Tony B.'s stuff, but everything he does is top notch. Plus, you'd be hardpressed to find a more impressive flathead heritage than the Baron/Tattersfield/Thickston connection.

I can recall seeing at least 5 originals with porosity issues and just poor casting quality.

Just my two cents. The repops also polish up beautifully.

$400-$600 would be a fair offer for a nice original piece.

Good luck.

BTW: Passed on an original intake complete with air cleaner at Hershey in '93 for $250. Regret that day ever since.

9. flathead A

flathead A
    from michigan

thanks for the input,as soon as I come up with the money I'm going to make him an offer.
    Menno

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Metallurgy in aluminum alloys and casting were in their infancy when the speed parts business arrived on the scene prior to WWII. And remember these guys weren't exactly operating with fat wallets either. I've heard of many problems with porosity and voids and weakness in these old castings.
    Any modern versions should be superior in all respects regarding metal quality and appearance and at least equal, if not better, in functionality. If they are not somebody is taking shortcuts that shouldn't be taken.

11. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

does he know what its worth is the question:p

12. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I agree 100% - the finish on my original PM-7 is much better then the repops I've seen. I don't think anyone has smoothed it out, just seems to be a finer casting.

13. 6inarow

6inarow

Just remember that the buyer sets the price, not the seller

14. Mad-Lad

Mad-Lad
    from California

I would care less what they are going for when your buying! Thats only good to know if your going to sell one. Make an offer that is good to YOU.

I guess I did good with this one. It even came with a running motor and some fancy heads...lol
    [​IMG]

15. A local guy found one in the aluminum pile at a scrap yard.

He got it for $10 :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm sure he put it on Ebay straight away.

16. chopperwolf

chopperwolf

guess I got lucky, a gentleman was driving by my house as I was working on my car. When he saw I was working on a flathead, he said his neighbor had a dual intake hanging from a tree as yard art. He brought it to me and asked for 40 bucks, I took it not knowing anything about it, being my first flatty.

17. Cav44

Cav44

I got $700 for mine two years ago…….guy in Australia!

18. PackardV8

PackardV8

We don't have enough information on what OP is going to install the Thicktsun. On a mild build in a heavy hooptie, the 2x2 is golden. On a big build in a light roadster, the 3x2 is choice.

jack vines

19. I have been a flathead guy for over 60 years. I am after horsepower as well as looks. The tall 2-2 Thickstun is a “loser” as compared to other intakes foe power. The Edelbrock slingshot was 18 h.p. More than the nice looking Thickstun. If you are into profiling, the Thickstun will fill the bill. If you are looking at h.p results,there are better choices. D6F7652E-8619-4B4C-AF6E-C6934C912067.jpeg 511A424C-AF92-4A97-9EB4-DD5E17F17D5C.jpeg 95743832-ACFF-48E3-BF58-8B0853103136.jpeg

20. Nothing wrong with reviving an old thread back from the dead....... just as long as you note the dates of the comments and realize that a lot of time has passed.

6inarow likes this.
  21. indyjps

indyjps

There's no time limit on post bumping here. It takes years to build these cars and discussion on speed parts that are 70 years old has no bearing if the post is a "few" years old. It's all relevant.
    If you want to be a moderator, apply to be one.

22. alchemy

alchemy

But bumping a 15 year old thread to discuss prices might make some guys pay too little for their Thickstuns.

23. uncle buck

uncle buck

now if I can only pay too little for gas again….
    I might actually enjoy myself this summer

Budget36 likes this.
  24. Some great info on here and now I know which one I have between early and late.