Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Brake Drum fits this Ford 8" ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Canuck, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Canuck

Canuck

Replacing the brake drums on my Ford 8", out of a 71-72 Maverick, easy I thought. Ordered a new set from local Parts house (Piston Ring in Winnipeg). When they came in (Wagner BD60068) they looked good. Same 10" diameter, same 3.3" height, same 5 on 4.5 pattern, same 2" wide friction surface for the 1.75" shoes to rub against.

The problem is I need a drum with a 2.775" hub hole and the Wagner drum has a 2.43" opening. The guys at the shop couldn't find anything else. From what I have been able to find out is that the stock replacement Maverick/Mustang brake drum on the market today has a 2.43" hub opening. And yes these are original on this axle and the axle shafts have a 2.775" indexing hub.

Does anyone out there know what drum will fit this diff ?

Thanks for the help

Canuck

2. Have you tried Falcon or Comet? 63-65

3. Canuck

Canuck

The earlier Comet etc are 4 bolt and a 9" drum.

Need the 5 bolt pattern and a 10" drum.

The problem is the larger hub diameter used on this axle.

Canuck

4. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

SIMPLE ...

Pull the axles and turn the centers down to 2.425 :)

5. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Ranger drums fit.

6. Somewhere in its life, that Maverick had a rear end swap. That is the hub hole size for disc brake cars.

Try 76 Maverick.

7. spooler41

spooler41

Or, chuck up the drums and cut the center hole to 2.775, should fit right on then.

.....Jack

8. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i just went through this on my maveric rear ..1981 82 f 100...they will work..

9. Isn't an F100 5x5.5" pattern?

10. Like the guys say, machine the axle register OD or drum ID to fit.

Easy to do on a big enough lathe.

We had to take about .010 - .015 out of the new nine inch Ford pickup drums so they would fit the 4 1/2" pattern of the Dutchman alloy axles on my 31.

(The pickup drums were drilled to the 4 1/2" pattern.)

Altering the pickup drums saved a chunk of cash, most of you know how expensive the 57 Ford 9" drums are.
    The pickup drums were a little over half price.

Since we didn't have a lathe large enough to accept the drum, we used a boring bar on a mill.
    Little more setup time, but it worked out fine.

More than likely a stock Ford axle would have fit the pickup drums.

11. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

I had the same problem. Let me find the part number at home and I will put it up here on Monday or PM me and I can let you know sooner. Sorry, I'm at work...will look it up tonight.
    DD

12. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Most of those methods will work. But you know what? A Ranger drum still fits.

13. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Ford built a F-100 in 81-82 ( vs F-150) that had the 4.5" bolt circle. I used the brake drums from a 68 Mustang on the Maverick rearend in my Model A.

14. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I have a set of drums and axles just like yours with the smaller diameter hubs. I think they could be early Falcon but don't know for sure. I'm just going to keep them just in case I need an axle in a pinch. I had to pay high dollar for new drums to fit the larger axle snubs but they are available. Let us know if the ranger drums work out..

15. Canuck

Canuck

Well here's the plan ---

Step One - Go to the local auto part research centre and check out some of the options for a alternative brake drum (ie go to Pick-a-Part and measure some of the wrecks there). Determine which Ranger pickups use the 10 inch versus 9 inch drum. Hoping Enjenjo is right and I already have great respect for his knowledge.

Step Two - Order a set of Ranger drums and get on with the rest of the build.

If the Ranger drums turn out not being a option, re-order a early Maverick set of drums and find someone to machine the centre hole out to fit the later axle. Should be easier than machining the axles.

Unfortunately our weather is not agreeing with my plans, raining today and forcast for tomorrow as well, Oh Well, Monday.

Will update as the story evolves with part numbers and work required.

Canuck

16. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

The later F-100 was 4 1/2" 5 lug, the F-150's were all 5 1/2 " bolt pattern.

17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

True, true

But it is a temporary fix ...
    Fix the axle shafts and you will not have this problem next time.
    :rolleyes:

I keep my cars a LONG time ... so I fix or repair them for the long haul.

I would check the Ranger drum idea enjenjo posted. He is usually spot on :D

18. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

drums from a 76 or 77 maverick with disc brakes would probaly fix it. I know a factory drum brake wheel will not work on a disc brake car because of this

19. Canuck

Canuck

A little slow on the up date on this,

So for those of you with a 1974 to 1977 Maverick 8" rear that have the 2.775" diameter axle projection and are looking for a more reasonable alternative for a brake drum, try Wagner # BD60543 or Raybestos # 8923. Cost here in Canada was $66.00 Cdn each.

These are replacments for a 1981-1983 Ford F100/F150, V6, with 10" rear brakes. And yes they do have a 5 on 4.5 pattern, not the normal truck 5 on 5.

The fit is good. The drum clears the backing plate by approx .2". The friction surface is wider than the Maverick ones so they look different from the outside but who cares.

The F100/150 used a wider brake shoe, but to change that would require a change in the backing plate as well to get the correct spacing for the pivot pin.

My plan is just to replace the Maverick shoes, hardware and cylinder with good quality parts. If it was enough brake for a Maverick and all the other Fords that used the same width and diameter drums, it should be enough for my little A coupe.

PS when checking the drums out, I found one drum made in Canada, even though the box said USA and the other was made in the USA. Either one should be good quality.

So a little late, but thanks Enjenjo for the tip. The reference to Ford Ranger threw me for a bit, just seem to refer to Ford trucks as F100.F150 etc. up here.
    <!-- / message -->

20. i glad that you got the problem solved. are you sure your rear end came out of a 71-72 Maverick? up to 73 it should have the smaller hole.

21. metalfaber

metalfaber
    from Nebraska

I was doing some searching and ran across this post and figured with the wealth of info supplied already, another installation might not be too bad to ask for.

Got a 8" Ford Rearend, and are needing a 9" diameter drum with 5 on 5 spacing. (New Dutchman axles were purchased to fit the original wheels that the owner wants to use) Were there any that fit this bill? I will have to check back on the axle centering hub size, I didn't grab that as it wasn't convenient at the time.

Worst case scenario, we can turn and re drill the original drums, but if anybody knows of some off hand, that would be a great.

Brian

22. dharlett

dharlett
    from SE Ohio

Great Info! I have an 8" Maverick rear end on my 1949 Ford and this information was fantastic.
    I'd like to add a couple things....
    I changed out the wheels to 17"X7.5" with 5.5" backspace. I had to add spacers and longer wheel studs. I spent a ton of time and effort finding the right spacers and studs for the 8" Maverick but I found some that work great and I just want to share that info in case anyone else may need it:
    Longer Wheel studs: Dorman 610-464. They are 1/2"-20 studs with Knurl Diameter of .611 (My maverick studs were .610), The underhead length is 2.094" (Maverick is 1.75" i believe). AND they are cheap!--only about $20 for 10.
    Spacers: I found spacers for Jeep Grand Cherokee Liberty that have a 71.5mm center hole (2.815")(Maverick is 2.78" so they clear nicely). They are 5x4.5 1/4" spacers. $40 on ebay.

I hope someone else can benefit from this info like I benefited from Canucks

Thanks

stealthcruiser likes this.
  23. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Early Mavericks have a smaller axle stub than later models. I think '70-'73 are the small ones and '74-up are the bigger ones. Just get the right drums for the year of rearend you have. They're also only 1-3/4" wide. Granadas had 2-inch wide drums.

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Very good info , thanks for the effort. The rear I'll be putting in my Shoe is from a '77 , so I'll eventually be in the same boat (my settings are OK at this point) .

25. telecaster guy

telecaster guy

I had this problem this week and after a lot of detective work and great help from the local O'Reilly parts guy I have this for you. 1977 Mercury Montego part # 2667DGS which is an O'reilly part #. These drums are what you need, a bolt in perfect match for the later Maverick with the larger pilot hole and 1 3/4 shoes. There you have it !

26. nobby

nobby

rock auto have them listed
    76 maverick rear
    raybestos 2667r

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016