Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fire Extinguishers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

Do you guys keep one in your old cars that you drive around? It seems like a pretty good idea, God forbid something happened out on the road or in some parkinglot. Only thing thats keeping me from doing it so far, is that it seems like the temp inside the car in a parkinglot on a hot summer day would be too much for the fire extinguisher. Not sure. Thoughts?

2. Jimmy2car

Jimmy2car
    from No. Cal

I carry one in each car:
    One is called Fire Stop & the other is a small Halon unit

3. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I think that a Halon is a good choice.
    The last time I used a chemical extinguisher on an engine fire I had to decide if it was worth the mess that was about to be created. Then I figured it was really just a choice between yellow or black crud.

4. squirrel

squirrel

I have them in all my old rides...never had to use one....

I also keep a wrench that fits the battery terminals, in the glove box.

mad mikey and tommyd like this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I have one in my car and have not had issues with interior heat, didn't even think about it to be honest..

6. I've got one in the Hudson. No idea what type it is, but you never know what can happen, may not be your car you need it for, if you saw a car with a kid trapped inside, on roadside, about to catch fire, your extinguisher could be the difference between life and death.

37hotrod, Stogy and wraymen like this.
  7. WordSmith

WordSmith

Halon or Halotron in all our stuff.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Yes. Every old car has one. Now that I think about it. The everyday cars should have it too. Like Seb said. You may someday need one to save a life.

mad mikey likes this.
  9. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

I have a Halon in one ride, the other two have standard multi purpose extinguishers. Mine are located in the trunk, not the best place to have them as far as easy access, but I couldn't find a place in the interior of the car where they weren't hard to get around. Joe

10. After my pal Deuce Roadster's car caught fire several years ago it was a incentive for me, his small extinguisher wasn't enough to put out the fire so I carry a big extinguisher.HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mad mikey likes this.
  11. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Will hopefuly work if and ever needed?
    Photo0444.jpg

12. Carry one in the Model A (avatar), cheap insurance!
    IMG_1463.JPG IMG_1461.JPG

13. I carry one in my olds station wagon. Just in case. Bruce.

1927graham likes this.
  14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's where my mother-in-law carries her Seat Belt Knife. (it's 'out-of-the-way'!)

15. I would never think of driving one of my rods without one. Here is a photo of my brothers 35 , no one got hurt but the coupe was a total loss. Ron... 20160115_234621.jpg

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if good quality, there is a time line as when need contents replaced. or just replace unit - extinguishers contents have specific applications - as HP stated above, the Cool looking little ones may not do much depending how involved fire is. 911 is always a good backup plan

17. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I have one in my model A. mounted to the outside of the wood seat base (Notunder the seat in the little factory, storage area). Right under my legs. Doesn't get in the way when getting in/out or driving and it is within arm's reach.

I also have one mounted on each wall of my garage. Friend had an engine fire start in his garage once and it was spreading fast. Had he not had an extinguisher on each wall we would not have
    had access to extinguishers fast enough to put the fire out and his whole house would have burnt down.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  18. 5window

5window

At Hershey, you have to have one to show your car.

mad mikey and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  19. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Putting out fires with a Pepsi bottle isn't fun. Fire extinguisher works a lot better. At least from personal experience with both.

20. I have one in my OT DD, a carry over from my stock car days. I need to hit Ace for one to carry in my Ford, thanks for the reminder and I have a $10 coupon "burning" a hole in my pocket.

21. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I thought Halon was Verboten, because of the Ozone layer? That was the scuttlebutt 20 years ago or more as I recall. Military acft use (or used) Halon. Good stuff and similar to asbestos, no suitable replacement as such, and/or how long till the replace is banned?

I've had a couple of the cute little one pounders let go inside the vehicle in (I guess) hot weather (garaged).

One thing I read recently about the chemical dry powder extinguishers, they tend to take a set or become compacted or whatever.

The remedy is to periodically turn the unit upside down and rap the sides and bottom with a rubber mallet. Don't be shy with the mallet, the idea is to make sure all of the product can be utilized if it is ever needed.

chopper99 likes this.
  22. Yep, I carry one in every car! As important as brakes.
    I learned that lesson the hard way with my 36 Ford. Had to repaint fenders, hood, cowl, etc....
    And the bigger the better. Pick one up today................

23. Speed~On

Speed~On

I think it's a must. As stated above, it can be the difference between some minor to moderate repairs for you, or losing your entire car. Also, it will give you the ability to come to the aid of others.
    I have one mounted in my Model A. It's under the dash near the kick panel on the passenger side. I would not be too concerned with interior heat. I have never had an issue.

A few things to remember.
    -Typically, fire doubles in size every 30 seconds. Add fuel to that equation and it will be exponential.

-Mount/secure your extinguisher. I see so many just laying on people's car seats. If you get into a car accident that fire extinguisher just became a projectile.

-Aim the extinguisher at the base of the flames. I've seen too many people aim their extinguisher at the top of the flames. Then they can't figure out why the fire isn't going out.

24. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I carry a fire extinguisher in my Acadian.
    Once many years ago I used one on someone's car that had the carb backfire and start a fire.
    Good idea to carry one. You might save someone's life if you come across a car accident!

25. Have one in the hot rod , wifes car and my shop truck

26. stimpy

stimpy

they make a halon replacement that works just like halon did , also halon comes in different types like freon some of them have been outlawed .

as for me my dd P/U has a 10 ABC in it , my cars have 2 2.5s each in them ( one in cabin, one in trunk ) the 50 will get a 50 bc , my semi I had the 5 bc as required in the cab and a 30 ABC on the catwalk as I hauled some flammables , a 30 will have a hard time putting out a tire fire as you need to kill the heat , but I also have a 5 gallon bucket that has kitty liter and for ditch water and a shovel for sand/dirt .

but one thing do not forget to check the date on them ( and bang it on the bottom on the ground to make sure the gauge works ) and either replace them or recharge them ( 5 units and up as the 2.5s its cheaper to buy a new one ) as the powder will compact or the propellent will leak out

cold fire is a good extingushing agent , dosent leave the power like a dry unit and is non corrosive

27. GTS225

GTS225

As long as we're on the subject, I haven't seen much mention of CO2 extinguishers. Anybody have them on hand?

Roger

28. stimpy

stimpy

we used to use co2 extigushers but unless you get all the flames out and pull the heat out of the part (this is why halon is better ) , it can reignite the flammables , but for electrical fires they are basically the only way to put them out ..

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used both the Halon and the standard ABC hardware store fire extinguishers on car fires and the Halon or Halon clone works far better as it cuts off the oxygen to the fire almost instantly rather than smothering the fire.

30. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Another forum, this guy eventually got tired of helping out with his extinguishers, they aren't giving them away, after all. Started a new policy, he approaches this lady whose engine was on fire.

"I'm gonna need $10 before I put out the fire..."

"Ok ok ok ok!!!!!"