Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ><((((:>Good Friday Art Show 03-25-2016<:))))><

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jigger, Mar 24, 2016.

1. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Scroll saw rendering of 23buckethead's hemi power coupe . P1050085.JPG

2. TOO MUCH cool stuff happening on this FAS! Everyone is rockin' it today. Thanks for sharing. :D

3. YES I'm enjoying the post, here's a few more oldies I found art 002.jpg art 004.jpg .

4. like, cti932ford said the fat tires date these. Ron... art 012.jpg art 015.jpg

5. GaryC.

GaryC.

Henry The V8th Henry the V8th.png

6. Great show everyone. This wasn’t exactly what I’d intended in mentioning “Blasts from the Past” as a theme but I like it. Always fun to see how deep the love of the hobby flows and how long it’s been in we car guys. Here are a few of my own from way, way back. Not a lot of traditional hot rods because I was a kid in the 70’s, in Nebraska... My older brothers were more into drag racing and such... As for me, I was an aspiring, out of the box, custom car designer LOL!

1979, Freshman in H.S.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

’79-'80
    [​IMG]

This one (1979) scares me...

[​IMG]

I actually wrote the date on these as suggested by my father. Breaking in the new set of prismacolor pencils (a Christmas gift from dad). My older brothers had the Wierdo cards as kids, I was always taking and looking at them. My oldest brother was a Rat Fink fink... Big daddy began to inspire me in the 70’s when I’d look through old Hot Rods, Car Crafts, etc.. So, while inspired by the likes of Ed, Newt and Nelson Dewey, I tried to create my own caricature style with a heavier infusion of ‘toon’. I didn’t even know Trosley existed until I bought my first CARtoons® mag in around ’83. I’d seen his work as well as Dave “Big” Deal’s work in various magazines but never kept them around. They did, no doubt, inspire my stuff but it was the cars in Tex Avery’s "Merrie Melodies" cartoons that really got me charged...
    [​IMG]

May be my oldest drawing to survive. It was on the back page of a sketch book...

[​IMG]

1981-‘82ish (senior year)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
    ct1932ford, Frogz, i.rant and 21 others like this.
  7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Interesting design. By any chance have you done a front quarter view? Gary

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  8. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Nice work all!! Gary love the Henry!

GaryC., Animal, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

Couple of old ones from me 1999 artwork. A little Rod and a little Custom. BR

oldTallT1999.jpg
    oldcheboom2.jpg

10. georgeg

georgeg
    from Il

Been gone the last couple weeks, good to be back. Great show! _N2Y3485.jpg

JimC, GaryC., Animal and 9 others like this.
  11. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Yes but the perspective is off, but here it is,, the shots (to ruin the dream) are from the 16 GNRS
    Stuck front.jpg

12. Couple more from my very old sketch pad. Most were pencil for my high school art class. That's why they are so faded. Ron... art 006.jpg art 005.jpg

ct1932ford, exartist, GaryC. and 10 others like this.
  13. Spex84

Spex84
    from Canada

Most of my old drawings are 90s-awful, not Hamb material at all!
    Ron--looks like I wasn't the only kid obsessed with drawing smash-ups!

Awesome art show this week everyone. It's cool to see how many of you started early and kept on drawing!

Stogy, Mark A and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. Diggin' all the drawings and sketches, thanks for posting!
    Here's a early one from the 90's:
    _50_chevy.jpg
    recent one from the sketchbook:
    50\'s_custom.jpg
    A bunch of women/pinup sketches:
    womens.jpg

15. Nailhead Brooklyn

Nailhead Brooklyn

All I can picture is the male bird coming out in the morning and screaming "honey, you wrecked the car again!"

Haha I got problems! In all seriousness people, don't have "only children" we have really active imaginations..

16. This is the earliest drawing I could find.
    There's a note on this lined paper that said "wardroom", must of been bored on watch in the wardroom on the USS Kittyhawk ('81).
    kittyhawk.jpg

ct1932ford, Merlin, JimC and 12 others like this.
  17. nothing new ..but hears an old HEMI IMG_3175.JPG

ct1932ford, Frogz, Merlin and 14 others like this.
  18. I was reading Hot Rod by Henry Gregor Felsen in school and drew this of Jake Clymer's Garage. art 017.jpg My first try with water colors Ron...

19. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Jigger likes this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Kid on the Beach

The_Kid_on_the_BeachV2.jpg

ct1932ford, oldsjoe, themoose and 4 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Flamin 40 Coupe

Flamin_40_CoupeV2.jpg

ct1932ford, Frogz, oldsjoe and 8 others like this.
  22. 57 Corvette ~ Bob

57 Corvette ~ Bob

A little late this week ....A Flickr buddies car. I did a digital painting for him which he has used for postcards.

[​IMG]

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Ole 37 GMC PEI Pickup

37-GMC_V2.jpg

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonneville Hudson Coupe

Bonneville-Hudson-Coupe.jpg

ct1932ford, JimC, oldsjoe and 5 others like this.
  25. OK, easter eggs & memories..

Eddie Ford ran 'Custom Rodder' magazine (Australia) from 1967 until about 1995 and still publishes the excellent 'Restored Cars' magazine (as he has since 1973). Custom Rodder used to run a page called 'Sketch Pad' in it's first couple of decades. Ed published me 4 or 5 times;

160326CR35SPadpage.jpg

This is my first published piece- 1975, 13 years old.. just seen American Graffiti..

160326CR35.jpg

1980;

101025CR1980.jpg

A few years later;

130116CR\'57Chev4dh_t.jpg

26. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

A local guy here in Meridian area(Ms.)had a exhibition at the library, of cars in distress, as in junkyard scenes. His name is Neil Hatten . Pardon the glare, but, you get the idea. 010.JPG

ct1932ford, JimC, themoose and 8 others like this.
  27. :oops:o_O:D:mad:Ron Funkhouser those are bitchin' collisions. Kinda Warhol

Jigger, I, too, was Playboy- powered..

Ron Funkhouser and Jigger like this.
  28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't take this stuff to the grave so thanks Jigger for starting this thread...Happy Easter to you all as well. Good work artists. Doodles start masterpieces...well sometimes :confused: Hope you all are enjoying the scribbles before the electronic stuff happened...

36_CoupeV2.jpg

Cartoon_Bonne_Coupe.jpg

34_RoadsterV2.jpg

Flamin_Coupe2.jpg

34_Roadster2.jpg

Tell you all a little story about this series of Hotrod sketches...Many many moons ago I had left my big folder of artwork at my Mom's.
    So I asked her if she could bring it to my place. So my Sis and Mom did just that...quick 1/2 hour jaunt.
    They arrive and can't find the art...and then it sunk in...they left it on the roof of the car back at their place and took off forgetting it was there.
    I was like what the...They jump in the car and backtrack and did get just about all of it.
    Most survived unscathed...a few pebble marks and some tire tracks (it just started to rain a little too) but hey they got it...Thats it in a nutshell...will never forget it and today I share some with you all...:D By the way my Mom and Sis were so devastated...but shit happens....Stogy

ct1932ford, JimC, oldsjoe and 6 others like this.
  29. LOL!

Did I mention the brother who was a fink and a motor head didn’t have only car mags? Yea, well, the others, by the time they were discovered, didn’t last long as he dispatched of them after getting married not long after I drew this... LOL... guess that dates the drawing to 1979... my freshman year... ( too young for that mag, even the articles... ;) )