Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1958 Ford lower control arm bushings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom292, Mar 23, 2016.

1. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

I need a little help. I am redoing the bushing on my 58 ford custom300 and have found that the replacement bushings are to different interior diameters. Which goes to the front and which goes to the rear. I lost my pictures of the disassembly and it was a few years ago so I don't remember. Help please.

2. Picture of the arm back on my car. Arms are the same through 1962.
    0921141724.jpg

3. Your '58 will be the same as Bob's 59 and my '57. I'm pretty sure the bigger one is the front, but since I'd have to crawl under my car, and your's is apart...just check to see what orientation the bolts go in. In other words, where the big one fits on the frame...front or back, etc.
    Like Bob said make sure of the orientation and pay attention also to the embossed raised ribs on the o.d. under the flange...they are the depth control indicators.
    Just about anything you need to know about 57 Fords (most info also pertains to '58) can be found at www.57fordsforever.com. Just click on forum.

4. carguy699

carguy699

google The old car manual project. they have a complete 1958 ford shop manual that you can access online along with other tasty items and it is free. helped me A BUNCH when I was working on my 58!!!
    jim

5. 59squire

59squire

1959 Ford. I've had three different shops install my bushings in backwards starting in 2009. When they started moving around the first guy welded them in place. When the rubber started to fall apart I had to get another set of arms and the next guy installed the bushings wrong. I finally got a guy who recognized they were in wrong. There are long bolts and short bolts. The service manual doesn't say were they go, just to put them back the way you found it. The guy that put them in correctly last week said there were three shorts and one long and said he used the long one but it wasn't necessary and doesn't tighten up properly so I need to get him another short bolt and he'll swap it out. Does anyone out there know how these are meant to be installed?

6. 3 short and 1 long bolt? I don't think so, should 2 & 2. PM me if you want me to take pix of my installed arms. I may still have the old bolts and I can match them up to verify the lengths.

7. 59squire

59squire

Ordered more bolts just to be safe. I believe that mechanic #3 faced with 3 sets of parts mixed them up. If you can find out the correct locations of the long and short bolts I would really appreciate it.

8. Long one's in front.
    I just tore my 59 Edsel suspension off and the long ones are in the front.

Sent from my SM-N920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 59squire

59squire

Thank you so much, I wasn't sure I'd be able to find this out. I'm glad I remembered this HAMB.