Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration mY 29 model A pickup gets painted Washington Blue LIVE!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Feb 11, 2016.

1. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok, what's the completion date?
    I'll be down to pick it up! :)

Nice truck!!

2. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Man, that is turning out great!

3. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpg image.jpg Thanks guys. This is the end O the day report.

4. Such a great job! These are the hotrods that I spend an hour or more looking at during cruise nights and car shows. Then I regret leaving, thinking that there was just one more feature I wanted to check out and catalogue in my brain..

badshifter likes this.
  5. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Didn't touch it over the weekend.
    In the few hours today, installed the grille shell, made a tool to crimp the split rivets for the hood lace, put the other rear fender on, mounted the one ( and only ) tail light bracket, and polished the valve covers.

cretin and Blue One like this.
  6. I LIKE THIS TRUCK AND love THE COLOR....I went with a Washington blue on my 3 window build and like the way it turned out, but it is a little darker as I added some black to it. It is a single stage also PPG paint

7. badshifter

badshifter

8. 29AV8

29AV8

Looks miles deep. Me likey Washington blue..

9. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpg image.jpg It's probably getting boring, but.....chrome came back today.

kiwijeff, cretin, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

o_O Boring, heck no. :)

11. mopar57

mopar57

Awesome just awesome

12. badshifter

badshifter

Oh, did I mention it runs again? I wired the engine and ignition, plumbed the cowl tank and filled it up. The details take forever. Cowl lace, rivets, hood bumpers, welting, aligning the hood and grille shell. How they built these at the rate of one every10-30 seconds is beyond me.

Blue One and brad2v like this.
  13. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

That's one nice little truck.

badshifter likes this.
  14. av8

av8

Super build! Few colors look as good and right on '20s and '30s Ford hot rods as Washington Blue, especially so when cream is the accent color. Ford called their accent for Washington Blue "Tacoma Cream," and that's what came to mind when I saw your wheel color. I wish I'd chosen that combo for my roadster rather than just using Tacoma Cream as stripe accents on the WB wheels -- a bit too subtle. Oh well . . .

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    maplefrm likes this.
  15. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg image.jpeg Made another visor this morning, punched and dimpled it. Not 100% on it but I'll paint it and I have options. Light blows into the shop in the mornings making good photos almost impossible. For me anyhow.

kiwijeff, Blue One and Stovebolt like this.
  16. alchemy

alchemy

I really loved every bit of it until you got to the visor. Doesn't go with the rest of the truck. I could maybe see a blue painted visor, but no "speed holes" in it.

brad2v likes this.
  17. brad2v

brad2v

X2

18. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

I like those stands the truck is sitting on. Who makes them and would you work under the car?

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They look like the ones Gibbons Fiberglass made?
    I made a similar set myself out of 3/16" plate and I work under my RPU easily. They are 12" tall.

20160115_172652 (2).jpg 20160115_180124 (2).jpg 20160116_123235.jpg

20. Dadio 56

Dadio 56

I just found a nice, long thread on car stands. I had previously been using different keywords. As expected, HAMB to the rescue!

21. badshifter

badshifter

This is visor number 2, the other has no holes and is blue. Options....

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I like the visor. Having the holes will relieve some of the air pressure build up under it. Once it's painted body color (or black like the roof) it will blend in nicely.
    I Don't know what all the fuss is about it looks fine.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  23. badshifter

badshifter

Yes, Gibbons Fiberglass and yes I work under the car with them.

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Any updates ?

I went out and had some paint mixed up using that Washington blue code, a single stage acrylic urethane and had them put some into a spray can so that I could do a quick spray out to see the color in real life.
    The paint we get here is a low VOC, still solvent based.
    We can't get the Deltron up here as the VOC levels are too high.
    What they gave me is a BASF RM Uno and it sprayed nice and has a very nice finish to it.
    http://www.refinish.basf.us/rm_unohd

I confirmed what I pretty much already knew, the color does not photograph anything like how it looks in real life.

Just look at all the photos in this thread, the color is all over the map in terms of shade depending on the light.
    The Washington blue is a beautiful color, deep and rich and changes depending on the light.
    That's what makes it so attractive.

It all shows that picking a color (or even commenting on whether a color looks right or wrong) by looking at pictures on your computer screen is ludicrous.
    Studying the pictures again, the first series of pictures is closest to the true color.

I really like the Washington Blue and will go with it for my RPU.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  25. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg The very small update is we took a vacation this week for the first time in years. This afternoon I started to reinstall the bed wood and realized the bolts were too short.

kiwijeff, kidcampbell71 and cretin like this.
  26. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Random stuff. Visor painted black, looks better, still unsure until I get it on ground. The bed is finished, I had to make my own stainless chain links out of 5/16 rod as none of the aftermarket parts fit. No surprise there. Even though nobody will ever see it, I remade the floors out of oak as original.

27. Beautiful!

badshifter likes this.
  28. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

Great looking truck!
    Is there a build thread on it?

badshifter likes this.
  29. badshifter

badshifter

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I took my kids to work today, Sunday.
    After a few hours of floor installation, I couldn't resist taking it off the stands. And drove it again for the first time in a few months. Almost interior time. Windshield frame is out getting chromed, looked out of place black. My unexpected photo shoot got cut short by rain. I can build, but my camera work has massive room for improvement.

kiwijeff, brad2v, Blue One and 2 others like this.
  30. badshifter

badshifter

Sort of, I'll look. Didn't get much interest in it so I quit posting. Thanks for the kind words.