Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I think it is Detroit. I found a bunch of Detroit Dragway photos on facebook.

2. thehazguy

thehazguy

3. thehazguy

thehazguy

4. noboD

noboD

Thanks. I was afraid it was something that easy. I was hoping for a theory of how the mouse got the elephant spinning quicker. Guess I think too much.

Spoggie likes this.
  5. thehazguy

thehazguy

6. thehazguy

thehazguy

7. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

The Millwinders Heavy full fendered fuel coup faced off against a Rail Job that day in the final fuel car race after fuel race eleminations were over and Jack Ewell who was driving that day spun out about 30 yards down the course. The coupe was light weight, but for Jack Ewells ardun engine we should have set the engine further back to gain more traction. Yes in those days there were eliminations in the different fuel classes and the remaining two cars did race regardless of body style... Nes Synadinos Millwinders.of yore.

loudbang and 296ardun like this.
  8. Question should be: Why is it posted here? A '69 Mustang is not HAMB material.

fiveoh108 likes this.
  9. Dynoroom

Dynoroom

Does anyone know the man wearing the Performance Assoc. shirt pushing in the back. I think this is Wally Cartwright who went to Bill Stroppe's after Les was killed at Fontana.

10. rooman

rooman

This one as seen back in the day and in its current restored state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. What year did the rule set in for clutch shields to be hydroformed?Also would you know a pic of Hippo if I showed it to you? The pic I have was next to a pic of my Dad in a Hippo
    car he drove at Indy and I have been wondering who the guy is in the pic Did you know my Dad Gary Essman ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    296ardun likes this.
  12. I wonder why my Dad has a pic of it .....

13. Can y'all find pics of any of the cars that raced at the old Las Vegas drag strip in the late 60's and early 70's? My Mom wanted to know she has good memories from there except when my Dad almost wrapped himself around a telephone poll in his own dragster we use to stay at the Stardust in the back rooms I remember so we could sneak our Dog Yogi in . She also recalls it maybe going by a nick name of the dust bowl

14. Michelle:
    See picture of Hippo I posted in your Gary Essman.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
    Michelle Essman Carls likes this.
  15. Yes that is Wally Cartwright helping push Les Ritchey's mustang. Wally was the Cureride shock sales rep in southern cal at the time. I used to run into him at Art Carr's transmision shop in Arcadia. Wally's booming voice allways over rode any other conversation in the shop. Wally was never without his cigar and it was the target of many practical jokes over the years. Art's number one guy, Mike Hoy, would sneak up behind Wally while he was leaning on the bench telling some story and deftly place a drop of ATF on the lit end of the cigar. I'm not sure whether Wally ever figured out why his cigar kept going out or tasting bad when he relit it. Now those were the "good old days."

Dynoroom, Mark Hinds and loudbang like this.
  16. I don't see the picture

17. Don't know why is was just an X. I tried posting it again in the Gary Essman thread. Didn't post it here as there is no "drag cars in motion" in it.

18. Not as cool as I originally thought...

19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Galpin Ford exhibition car. Kind of like Ivo's Rivi I think.

loudbang likes this.
  20. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Been many historical 65-67-68-69 cars on this thread. Not much push-back if it's the ''right'' kind of car.

Speedys Garage and 296ardun like this.
  21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Michelle, I don't remember the exact year that fabricated clutch housings were banned, sometime in the mid-late '60s...done for a reason, as the fabricated housings were just not strong enough to contain a double-disk clutch and floater...Jim Nichol's blast at the Nationals was one vivid example...I would know Hippo Brammer in a picture, he was a good friend who shared a lot of knowledge with me...we both raced DeSotos so I had a great opportunity to learn...I might have known your dad, as I drove fuel altereds briefly, with Don Wilson, we ran the original "Panic," though I ran out of money, got married and went back to college, in '68.....

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

25. thehazguy

thehazguy

26. thehazguy

thehazguy

27. thehazguy

thehazguy

28. okay I will find thr picture and post it on here soon and thank you for the information on the clutch