Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 55-64 Chevy rear end question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RiffTannen, Mar 20, 2016.

1. RiffTannen

RiffTannen
    from Chicago

I'm kinda stumped on this. I have a 62 Biscayne that I thought had the original drop out open rear end in it. The third member case is a standard GM open (no "P") and the numbers meet the car year. I found a posi 3.36 third member from a 59 Vette on Craigslist so I'm swapping them out. When I pulled the old rear end out, I noticed there were "s" clips in the spider gears and it had 4.11's in it. Definitely not original.

When I first got the car I jacked up the rear and spun a wheel to check the rear. The other spun backwards so I assumed it was open. It still looks weird to me anyway. It doesn't look like the 3 series I'm used to and I can't see any clutch discs (see photo). To me, it just looks like a standard open rear that someone put the s clips in. What do I have here? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458490135.014272.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1458490149.361939.jpg

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like aftermarket gears, too.

hipster likes this.
  3. RiffTannen

RiffTannen
    from Chicago

Yeah, I just took it apart and verified there are no clutch discs, it's basically an open rear end with the s clip preload spring inserted. Was this an attempt to rig it into a limited slip or locked axle?

4. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

well not really its an attempt to slightly make the gears go in the same direction(er friction)
    ... used to weld them spiders... ouch...
    as Jimsays aftermarket 4:11's
    :cool:

RiffTannen likes this.