Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Insurance--Who do you use?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bangerbob, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bangerbob

bangerbob

When I had my Jeep I used "Hagerty" insurance. Now I will need for my 'Hotrod"----Hagerty does not do modified cars---Who do you rodders use? hotrod 001.JPG jeep 004.JPG

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. wicarnut

wicarnut

Grundy, they're good, reasonable, not for you if you use your rod as a daily driver.

40fordtudor likes this.
  3. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I use Grundy also, but have friends who have Hagerty on their hot rods. I think that they both are good companies.

4. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

Hagerty on my modified car.

5. fms427

fms427

Yep-I have Hagerty on several modified cars - ask them again ! Like a Buick powered Woodill Wildfire, a chopped, Chev powered 47 Ford, etc,etc.

6. squirrel

squirrel

Farmers. But it's only liability insurance.

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

Grundy who has no limitation on miles driven.

Gary

40fordtudor likes this.
  8. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Grundy as well.

9. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I'm with Hagerty on my T. Thats kinda modified! LoL
    I've "heard" locally of people having issues if a car has a full roll cage...but I think even that got worked out with some minor effort.
    Perhaps they misunderstood your intended useage?

10. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I'm on the Grundy wagon. In fact, just received my premium notice last week. I have friend who have had claims with Grundy, and it was fast and fair.

40fordtudor likes this.
  11. NAT WILLIAMS

NAT WILLIAMS

Ford Heacock out of Fla.

12. Insured my avatar car for the first time last fall. When shopping around, Haggerty raised the premium estimate 220. from 420 to 640 after receiving pics. Said it was because my car was 100% modified. I put that on hold until I called around. Grundy was 330 for basically same coverage. Needless to say...

hipster likes this.
  13. 5window

5window

I use American Modern Home Insurance Company. Reasonable rates for by '31 as well as my OT '65 Mustang. Guaranteed value, no limits on driving. road service and, most of all, it stacks my liability limits with my Nationwide daily driver policy so that I have 4 car coverage on each car at no additional charge-ie not 100,000/300,000, but 400,000/1,200,000.

OLSKOOL32 and hipster like this.
  14. My wife and I are with Grundy, over 20 plus years. We have 5 hot rods and muscle cars fully covered with them and it costs us about $1250 / yearly for the bunch all together.
    On the other side of the coin 2 daily driver we own, insured through another company, a 2007 and a 1999 vehicle total about $1100 for the pair.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  15. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

American National (http://www.anpac.com/) here. Called a bunch of the "collector car" insurance offerings last year. Anpac came in with the best coverage at the best price, and the local agent is a hot rodder.

bymanr likes this.
  16. exterminator

exterminator

Didn't Grundy screw over one of our members?

turboroadster likes this.
  17. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Been with Hagerty over 30 years have had a couple unfortunate claims, nothing major but covered 100% and very quickly. Have three cars covered one is considered modified never had a problem with zero mileage restrictions. Joe

18. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

At one point or another... there will always be someone who feels their insurance company screwed them.

hipster likes this.
  19. I have an Agreed Value policy from Hagerty.... When I applied , I had to send pics of car. When they saw the turbo setup ,they classified it as "modified" (which upped the premium , naturally! ).. I tried in vain to tell them that the turbo engine was stock in the donor car ( '83 TurboCoupe)...Got nowhere , so I just pay the $450 premium... DSC01166.JPG

flyboy89 likes this.
  20. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

21. j3harleys

j3harleys

American National ( CHROME ). WE have The Hot Rods, Motorcycles, RVs, Every day drivers, Homes, with them. Very good rates and They have taken very good care of us for several years. Never a problem with a claim.

bymanr likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I've got 2 hotrods insured with Hagerty, a '31"A" Hiboy on '32 frame with sbc w 2X4 carbs, etc. and a '40 Ford coupe with 302, 5speed, etc. No problems about being modified, and the "A" Hiboy is definitely an "in your face" hot rod with side pipes, etc., while the '40 is a cruiser type.
    I do remember questions on the application(s) about turbos, superchargers and nitrous, but I'm devoid of these and have no idea how that would have affected things.
    There are no restrictions about mileage driven, but you must have a daily driver and no driving to work. also, unless you are out of hometown and staying overnight, the car must be garaged overnight under lock and key. No claims, so don't have anything good or bad to say about that, but others on HAMB have expressed satisfaction with claim settlements with Hagerty.

23. putz

putz
    from wisc.

american family ,they have been great, we have 2 regular cars and 4 hot rods with agreed value .
    very reasonable .

24. squirrel

squirrel

a while back I talked to one of these companies on the phone about getting insurance, and described what I do with my cars....ie Drag Week...blower, cage, goes fast, and I drive it everywhere like a normal car, and race at the drag strip. They didn't seem to want to have anything to do with me. So I just have liability.

hipster likes this.
  25. hipster

hipster

That why I went AMIG- American Modern. Lot less hassle than Hag, no BS about milage, no worries to take car to work, etc, & a little more affordable.
    I heard lots of nightmare stories about the Hag not wanting to reimburse over "technicalities", so I went another way on a recommendation I got here 4+ years back(was a lurker then). Policy is agreed value w/liability, uninsured etc,& covers tools, parts & whatnot relative to the insured vehicle. Nice folks, prompt service. Originally was going to use the big H, but couldn't get a prompt callback or email returned- tried to find another # to call, instead found the bad tales folks tell. I'm sure there's good stories too, but.. seems the bad 1's are what gets attention.

There's an old thread or 4 on here about insurance, read them & do your research before deciding. Lots of fine print no matter who you choose. None of them make $ for their shareholders if they're paying out.

She just recalled Hagerty saying since car was modified, going to cost another 320 on top of original quote. Guess chop, channelled & tunnel rams are not standard hotrod stuff, but race car mods. lol .

Sent from my SM-G900V using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Great coverage with Grundy, reasonable! My daughter has her own State Farm Agency, she reviewed Grundy's policy on my avatar and stated "Wow, great policy."

27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I have Hagerty on my Shoebox mild custom. I've only had it since last summer and haven't had to "use" it yet , but the cost is affordable, even with the optional extended coverage I took in preparation for my route 66 trip.

28. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I'm pretty sure none of the Speciality insurance companies cover your car if it's raced or a daily driver.
    I've had Grundy for years. Those that I've known that had a claim had no problems.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

use State Farm

INVISIBLEKID likes this.