Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Tragic Tale of the 'City of Salt Lake'...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jive-Bomber, Mar 8, 2016.

1. barstowpo

barstowpo

And I hardly think Penske killed them either.

ProEnfo likes this.
  2. bajabob

bajabob
    from socal

This was a super cool read that I was not aware of. I do remember my ol man talking about the Goldenrod being built in or near where we lived in Baldwin Park back in the day. Can you still get the fund raising t-shirts ???

3. clem

clem

Have to agree with you here.
    A wife and kids are more important than any world record or self achievement.

4. My guess is it's more dangerous driving to the race track than it is racing there.

Mick

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I would have to agree. 632 miles from my garage door to the 12 mile marker turn off. towing a trailer in the mountains. On the California side lots of traffic. After Sparks not so bad. On the salt. just me and the car.

6. A remarkable story, punctuated with sadness.

7. deucemac

deucemac

I was fortunate enough to meet Butch when he had the car on the salt a few years ago. But even more fun was being at the 2012 Gas Up where Athol and the car were accepted into the dry lakes hall of fame. Lots of family members including Athol's widow and son Butch were there. It was a great time and a happy one for the whole family. Here are a few of the shots I took. I was able to sit near them and enjoy during the festivities. We all would do well to have a family so close and still loving their "hero" all these years later.

Attached Files:

flyin-t likes this.
  8. Duke Pflieger

Duke Pflieger

What an honorable way to remember your father... We should be so lucky.