Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1957 FORD UGLY ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by uncleo, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Now I know Not to go to rmautobuzz when looking for Correct information. This is my work in process 57. Get's a F,E, 3 carbs and a 4 speed. Progress is SLOW these days.
    09-18-10 006.jpg
    The Wizzard

Fairlane500, 57 300, klicker and 4 others like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always liked '57 Fords, but thought the headlights were awkward. No wonder, since the car was designed for quad headlights, but after the Feds wouldn't change regulations to allow quads, the car companies had to scramble to retrofit standard larger single headlights (take a look at '57 Chrysler products as well). Last minute styling changes to meet federal regulations are seldom successful.

In '58, they got the headlights right; unfortunately, almost everything else was wrong!

3. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I thought 57' Fords were a very good looking car...I'd love to have one! Besides, when I was watching the complete collection of ''Perry Mason'' :oops::D not too long ago....Perry and Della were always cruising around in one....add the theme music, and it's just that much better....just a fine car in my humble opinion!--- Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. ...............Della was HOT!!:D

5. A site like rmautobuzz that hypes the virtues of new cars like Toyota's and foreign luxury sedans wouldn't appeal to me but I am not a potential reader.

We all know the old adage,opinions are like assholes, imho the '57 Ford is miles ahead of what these guys are urging it's readers to purchase.HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  6. I don't have any pics for ya but I got to ask who the hell is rmautobuzz? The '57 Ford was not as popular with the see and be seen crowd as the '57 Chebby but far from ugly and always sought after rod or custom fodder in my lifetime. Granted I have only been around since they were new. :rolleyes:

They got good lines and I can recall more than one article on the car mags about custom tricks for them.

7. exterminator

exterminator

rmautobuzz writer that wrote that, must be on drugs!:cool:

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  8. Hmmmmn I wonder if he has any to share. Must be goooooood chit mang. :rolleyes:

9. myold88

myold88
    from ct

Exactly what I was thinking.

10. Ugly?? Thats ludicrous!. Its by far one of the top two best looking cars ever built in the 50s. You made that up to start a thread didn't you??

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The quote from rmautobuzz about the '57-'59 Fairlanes:
    "The second-generation Ford Fairlane that debuted for 1957 may be single-handedly responsible for killing off the huge tailfins that characterized most American cars of the 1950s. Ford took this detail to the extreme with fins about 9 feet long that extended all the way to the Fairlane's doorline. The rest of the car was not much better, its front end able to pass for the rear end of most vehicles. Even the upscale Skyliner convertible shown here was not a pretty sight."
    Obviously, the writer of the article is a snot-nosed kid who drives a Prius and has never seen the other '57-'59 American automobiles such as Cadillac, Chrysler, DeSoto, Dodge, Plymouth, Lincoln, etc. The Ford fins were pretty mild by comparison.
    I love '57 Fords, especially a black Custom 2 dr sedan.

12. Mopar was the fin king... Ford and GM never even got close... LOL

wraymen and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. Muttley

Muttley

Really? I've never heard that before. I always thought the headlights looked awful on those cars, like a huge blemish on an otherwise perfect body style.

14. Exactly, the '57 Ford fins were actually abbreviated compared to fins on cars of other makes.

[​IMG]

And I am not a custom guy but I think that this one is ugly as butt. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

droppedstepside and Raiman1959 like this.
  15. e z i

e z i

To call a 57 ford ugly, is to proclaim your ignorance to the world.

16. Sales success did not always reflect the popularity of style, price had a say too.

Love the 57 Fords despite the headlights looking a tad like a frog under foot.

17. Actually one of the articles that I have seen in magazines more than any other on modifying the '57 Ford was how to clean up the headlights.

18. "...according to rmautobuzz the 1957 Ford is among the top ten ugliest cars ever produced..."

Obviously, the folks at rmautobuzz are full of shit.

19. 327Eric

327Eric

More and more these internet articles about cars are showing that the writers are being picked for their journalistic education over background. Most articles seem like they come from pool writers, who google a few pictures and write the same kind of uninformed article as the last one, on crockpot tacos, or sights to see in Philadelphia, etc.

Atwater Mike and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. You can throw anything out on the web and it becomes true. They are writing to a not so savvy public in general. Hell I could go on one of those sites and tout the 348 Ford as being the forerunner of the SOHC Ford and it would become truth. Before you knew it people would be coming on here and asking about Ford W motors and calling us all a bunch of crackpots when we said that the W motor was a Chevy motor.

It is a sign of the times. :(

21. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Boy, they sure got us talking about rmautobuzz.com, didn't they?

kiwijeff and lothiandon1940 like this.
  22. Yea but you're the only one who posted a link. :p :D :D :D

23. Funny stuff, 'Beaner.:D:):D:)

czuch likes this.
  24. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

I was looking again at the side view of the 57' Ford, and the most visual aspect I personally liked, is the ''swooping'' side trim that enhances the fins from the rear of the door "upwards"....it's 'rounded' and proclaims a nice curve to the fin, and very distinctive...can't help but notice it! I personally thought it was very well thought out, and very 'artsy' compared to the other models. I never quite understood why 57' Chevy's got so much acclaim, when Ford was just as inspiring as well.... I much preferred the Ford...and they sure had some great style for 57'.....lost it just a little bit in 58'....but that 1957 year was very cool--- my 2 cents worth anyways!--- Ray

25. [​IMG]
    Screw that other site. Here's a picture to look at. That's a good looking car.

26. [​IMG]
    Just a few images grabbed from the web.

medworker and wraymen like this.
  27. [​IMG]
    Wonder Woman had a jet like this.

28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

My second car was a 57 Chevy so yep, I'm a Chevy guy for the most part.
    And as far as customs go I'm pretty selective, regardless of brand.
    But........if I see a 57 bare bones Ford Sedan I will for sure be a Ford guy for the moment.
    Put a 2x4, 3x2 or SOHC FE and a 4 speed in it and OH BABY, you know I'll overlook any little design miscues.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    chevy57dude likes this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Exhibit A