Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 59 edsel wagon build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg, Jan 29, 2011.

1. castirondude

castirondude

Nice! I'm pretty much planning to do the same thing (gloss black enamel on the undercarriage and engine compartment)

I see you still have the vacuum wipers. I'm transplanting a 92-95 dodge caravan rear wiper assembly into mine now..

So you've been at it for 2-3 years now? Have you picked a date yet to have it on the road?

I started mine in April and wanted to have the car running and driving in 2-3 months tops. It's been 6 months now. This thing better be running and driving before the end of the year..

2. greg

greg

I wish ya luck!!
    no finish date on mine. Its too early in the game. I keep seeing post of these few month builds, but I think the cars I seem to get are always way to bad of shape for that. But I do get them cheap. :)

3. greg

greg

The inner fenders and firewall are NAPA gloss black with 50% flattener added. It is a little shinnier than I was wanting, but not bad enough to re-spray it.
    The frame is nason chassis black.

4. castirondude

castirondude

yeah. Actually I was going to make the firewall white, since that was the original color. (since mine has the white body color)
    Since your car is black, then black makes more sense.
    I wonder what the original color of the frame and fender wells were on a white car..

5. its cmin along nicely ...

keep up the good work ....

6. royfly2

royfly2
    from Nevada

My name is Roy, I would like to know how to take out the heater control bracket to be able to clean it up. Also the gages.

7. greg

greg

Hi Roy, I havent got there yet to help you on those items.

also, I see your new to the Hamb. The guys on here like you to post a profile so we can see what cars your into, and something about yourself. It seems silly, but I guess it just makes you more of a friend.

Just hang around on here and there is a ton of info for you, and maybe you can help someone else out sometime.

Can you post some pics of your car. I would love to see it.

If your on facebook there is a " Edsel Restoration and Preservation Group", and those guys know more about an Edsel than anyone should!!

8. greg

greg

I know several people have followed my build thread.

I havent given up on the Edsel, but as many of you know, life keeps getting in the way.

The wife decided we needed to buy another house, so the last several months have been tied up with that, and working overtime at work.

But the good part of that is that I get a new shop when its all said and done.:rolleyes:

While I have time, I keep plugging along trying to do what I can.

We got the engine set back in a few weeks ago. I kept everthing somewhat original in color, so it look like a lot of black. When I get all the parts back on I guess it will break it up a little.
    DSCN5996.JPG

9. greg

greg

Next on the Edsel list is repairing the core support.
    I am going to paint it, and the fresh air parts "black" of course!
    DSCN5528.JPG

DSCN5530.JPG

DSCN5816.JPG
    DSCN5997.JPG
    DSCN5998.JPG

10. castirondude

castirondude

It takes so much time. I probably have some 400 hours in mine. I haven't counted but just figure 8hrs a week for a year. Stuff like the wiring harness and power steering conversion took a lot of time. It drives great now but still need to do paint, carpet, A/C+heat and some small TLC.

My radiator core support was also rusted through - and this is on a car that had good floor boards etc. They must be a weak item.

Be sure to collect all the parts, put them in jars/buckets/etc and in the car so you can't lose them..

11. greg

greg

Yes, the good thing about a wagon is there is plenty of room to store all the parts.
    I have a plan of keeping the edsel and all the major tools at my current house as long as i can so I can continue working on it while im waiting on the new shop. But I am sure thats a pipe dream, and I wont have time to work on the wagon at all.

12. 50jeepster

50jeepster

Great looking build! I'm the new owner of a '59 Edsel 6 passenger wagon and came across this thread while searching for info.
    Glenn

13. castirondude

castirondude

hi Glenn! Congrats on your wagon, do you have athread on it yet? Let me know if you have any questions.

14. 50jeepster

50jeepster

Thanks! I'm still searching Edsels and just came across your build, will be checking it further. No build thread on mine yet, hope to pick it up this week.
    Glenn

15. greg

greg

I am bringing back my thread. Work on the wagon has started back again. This fall I painted the core support and am currently putting all the engine accessories back on, along with aerostar front springs.
    I am currently waiting on the top spring pads to install the new springs.
    I sure hope it sets right when I drop it down
    More to come!!!

16. Johnnee D.

Johnnee D.

Welcome back!!! Looking forward to any update and PICTURES!!!

17. greg

greg

A couple of pics of getting the engine bay together.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. greg

greg

I didnt realize how dusty it was till I looked at the pics.:eek:
    Thats what I get for it setting for 2 years.

19. castirondude

castirondude

Hey !!! I saw your update roll in on the email on my phone and never did have a chance to sit down and write a chance. Now a guy has to get up at 4am to get some time to himself :)
    Man you like that glossy black look !!

Is it running?

I also haven't done much with mine recently. I parked it in a sea shipping container so it's safe but also less accessible. I need to order some of these air ride shocks to lift up the back a bit. The exhaust sometimes bottoms out. Last time it pinched my parking brake cable which is now frayed :(

20. greg

greg

The paint is a satin, but turned out a little shiney. Its not running yet, but getting close.

21. castirondude

castirondude

Didn't you say you were going to get Aerostar springs? I know that's a popular swap but I looked at the specs and they are quite stiff compared to the stock springs. I highly recommend looking up the Moog catalog to find the exact springs you want. There is almost every possible height and stiffness out there.

22. greg

greg

I bought the Aerostar, moog cc850's. I put them in and they seem really soft. The bad part is I am only 3/4" from the bump stops, and the front bumper and grill aren't in it yet, and the radiator isnt full. I am thinking about a spring spacer to go on top of the spring. Maybe 1/2. That should raise the front about an inch???
    Maybe something like this, But I need to find the demensions to make sure it will fit.
    This is a Rancho brand.
    The moog spring is 3" shorter than the stock, so installation was a breeze.
    spring spacer.jpg

23. castirondude

castirondude

I used Moog 5270, they are long and soft. Then you can cut them down to get the ride height you want.

24. greg

greg

Its getting closer to fireing. All I need is the carb to run it. Sure there are tons of small items before taking it flying down the road, but I want to hear it run.

The under the hood is finished! Fuel is in the tank! Radiator is full!, and it will crank over with the key, and it had fire.
    I have one of the 40,000 volt coils on it, and when I cranked it, with the coil wire off the coil, I had a spark jumping about a 1 1/2 inch to the bracket!!!!! Thats a mental note to never get shocked by that one.

I bought an aftermarket temp guage, but the probe is too long, so I hooked the stock one back up. I'm just not sure if it works?

25. There is a Moog CC851 spring that is about 2" longer than the CC850, may be worth a look. The OG springs for the Edsel are close to Moog's 8000 & 8002.

26. castirondude

castirondude

I put in a mechanical gauge in addition to the stock gauge and it also had a huge probe. What I did is put a 1/2" Tee in the heater hose and the probe can sit in there. I used a 1/2" Tee with 5/8" brass nipples.

27. greg

greg

from this.
    DSCN3588.JPG

to this
    DSCN7574.JPG

rebarsfords likes this.
  28. greg

greg

A youtube video of starting the Edsel after the engine rebuild. I ran it 20 min. at 2000 rpm to break in the cam. It started 1st crank,with only adjusting the timing slightly. I used the edelbrock carb from my sons 46 since the edsel carb isnt usable yet. I tried to rebuild it and test it on the 351c in the 46, but so far It just wont idle right, so I used his for this 1st run.

Chavezk21 likes this.
  29. greg

greg

I ended up finding some spring spacers from advance auto that were aboyt 7/8 thick, and put them on top of my front coil springs. Seems so far to be what I need.
    Also just ordered an edelbrock carb to replace the autolite 4100. I dipped the carb, cleaned it, and installed a new kit. I just cant get it to run right, so a new Edelbrock, which is what I have on my other 2 cars, will do the trick.
    Also have been lot driving it a couple of times.

JOYFLEA likes this.
  30. fts55

fts55
    from guthrie ok