Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! My rear end is a mess (57 chevy rearend)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by drifters cc, Mar 1, 2012.

1. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I honestly wasn't sure whether it was or not, i got a little confused, I guess cause you quoted my post. I thought, "does he think the rear is mine??"

2. lawman

lawman

I had a 456 in a 63 Corvette coupe years ago. You will be sorry if you use one on the street. Best use for them is on the strip !!!!

3. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

If you had a 456 in a '63 Vette it would not have been a solid rear (like his) unless someone swapped out the independent rear.

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I think he's saying 4:56's are not a friendly gear to run on the street. Year not meaning anything.

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Hmmm. Jeez, I have run 4.56s on the street in several cars, was never sorry. :confused: Some of the guys that squared off with me were...:rolleyes:
    I guess it just depends on whether or not you are a PUSSY.

Grumbler likes this.
  6. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

i've used 55-64 rear ends in most all my hotrods since 1964 - yes, there have been many....i have never had a problem with the pig....i have had some issues with axle bearings tho leaking mostly....pinion seals need to be checked too.

7. 1939STREETROD

1939STREETROD

also, 4.56 posi rears do not allow easy manual pushing of your car....the rear tires will fight each other when the steering wheel is turned and it will be almost impossible to push the car without more than one person....3.55 or 3.70 gears are available and great for the street - if you don't want to go 65 at 3000 rpm, might want to think tall tires and 3.36 gears

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just found my way back here thanks to Grumblers "like", one of my finest moments right there.
    Irony is, about two years after I posted this, I got my current daily. And yup, uh-huh, you guessed it, 4.56's in the back...:p As Clint once said, "feel lucky punk?":eek::D

9. life begins at 3300 rpms;):cool:

BigChief and falcongeorge like this.
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

As you know tb, mine has an overdrive. I hardly ever use it, 90% of my driving, I am shifting manually through the first 3 gears. I can count the number of times I have locked the converter on one hand. In town the 4.5's are perfect.

tb33anda3rd likes this.