Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1929 model A made into a pickup..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trent_A, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Trent_A

Trent_A

20150702_135144.jpg

20150914_162837.jpg Story is owner passed away and family hired someone to clean out property and I was at the right place at the right time. SO anyways I'm looking for suggestions on what to do with this mess.. It is a original running driving and somewhat stopping model A drive train. I think it cool as hell but it's a hack job and thinking of just cutting off the top and making it a open cab truck. I have a 1957 283 with a power glide ready to go. This would be my first model A build..
    Looking for suggestions
    20150827_201423.jpg

2. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This car was originally a Murray Bodied 4 door sedan. The main structure is wood. If you cut the top off, you're likely going to end up with nothing more than a pile of rubble. Don't rush into anything.

3. Bader2

Bader2

And a 29 not a 30.

4. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I dunno, I kinda like the look of this thing like this.

I'd be inclined to do a little filling and massaging to clean up the look of that back panel a little and make a thin flat bed behind it and flush to the frame. I might see if that banger's bearings are good enough to be worth just hopping it up, then either fix the brakes up or go juice.

It looks cool with the fenders (which is something I rarely say) but I'd want to look at it with the fronts removed, and then the rears, and make a decision on that after.

I've actually got a similar concoction of cab parts at home but my cab section still has the windows and I've got a set of rear doors with the wheel cutouts. I've discussed making a truck cab out of it with my neighbor, so this is relevant to my interests.

[​IMG]

5. Bader2

Bader2

I've got one made out of a 28 Tudor,have thought about making new rear corners and standing the rear panel up more to make it look like it was a pickup,just haven't got there yet.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that somewhere there is the back half of a Model A Sedan the same model that is looking for a front half. I'm thinking that there are more mix and match Model A parts on there then you see at first glance.

8. Trent_A

Trent_A

yeah for sure.
    The roof is a hood off something else with wood to fill in the middle crown.

9. Trent_A

Trent_A

I am getting cabin fever... So I went for a spin the other day ... +10 F

20160211_122834.jpg

Jet96 likes this.
  10. oj

oj

From what I've read, during WWII you got extra ration cards for tires and gasoline if you drove a truck - war effort thing - and people converted their old Model A into pickups, I believe there were 'kits' to add a bed into your old coupe in place of the trunk etc.

11. It is funky enough to leave it the way it is. from another Trent

Trent_A likes this.
  12. ...here's one I found years ago,...guy I sold it to made a nice hot rod out of it.
    30 A coupe 006.jpg 30 A coupe 011.jpg 30 A coupe 007.jpg joliet07 065.jpg

Jet96 likes this.