Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 18 year old first hot Rod build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Axel de Groot, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Im 18 years old and i live in Sweden. For as long as i can remember i have alwaysed like hot rods and it's now finally time for My first build.

As i Said i live in Sweden and My english is not the best, but i hope you guys understand!

In january this year i got hold of a Ford model a Coupe. Bought it of an old man living in west sweden. It was more or less all stock. The old coupe is in quite good condition, except som rust on the back of the frame and some under the body. but hey, what can you expect from a car that is 86 year old?

As i Said, more or less a stock model A. But someone has converted it to juicebrakes, and it is not the best work i have ever seen. Because instead of changing the spindles to something that Would match the backing plates they just welded the stock model a spindles on the backing plates (i hope it was a good welder haha)

Hope you guys Will like My build thread, im gonna try to keep you updated!
    Cheers ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457022451.763975.jpg

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - great ride to start with - post close up pics of backing plates, etc

3. Sweet !

Welcome - should we call you " Axel " ?

Jim

4. 117harv

117harv

Nice, welcome aboard and post more pics.

5. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Thanks for the kind words! And yes you can call me Axel since thats My name haha

6. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Here is a pic of My backing plates and how they are welded, looks pretty rough..

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457023316.321330.jpg

7. Good start for first project.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Great project. Yes change that braking system. Welcome to the Hamb. You're a hotrodder already!!

9. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

The idea of My build is to create a "Early style" hot rod, well i Will try to do so...
    My old jalopy didn't stay stock for so long, i started ripping of the stuff that i wont be needing, like fenders, spare wheel, front bumper and the bumper in the back.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457026296.446025.jpg

And then it was time for some headlight and taillight work, so i "modified" the model a headlightbar.
    And moved My tailights.
    And guess if i got happy when i saw that My coupe had a couple of Guide 903-J

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457027147.511032.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457027190.908612.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457027220.091540.jpg

hrm2k, tylercrawford and kiwijeff like this.
  10. "Doesn't speak english well"

yet his is still better 90% of Americans.

Cool build. I'll be watching.

11. Axel: Welcome to the Hamb and we're glad you are participating and not just lurking. You might want to hang on to the stuff your taking off. Our likes and dislikes change now and then so it's possible to want fenders etc. some time down the road. It's a shame the previous owner welded the backing plates to the spindles as I believe that is practically a "bolt on" conversion. You still may be able to cut them off, CAREFULLY, and bolt them on. There is a kit for doing that. After the brakes are corrected, what other plans do you have? Wheels/tires? Engine?

12. Hitchhiker: I would agree His english is better than 47% of Americans.

13. Axel,

Your English is very good, don't worry about it. Welcome. It must be a real challenge working with a Model A Ford in Sweden. My only advice would be to work one thing at a time and finish it before moving on to the next. It looks like a good place to start. Is the car currently running? If so, keep driving it or you will loose interest

Charlie Stephens.

14. Axel, I like your choice of headlights. 903-J's are my favorite aftermarket headlight. I guess that's why I have them on my avatar.

Attached Files:

15. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Timwhit: off course i Will save all parts that i wont be needing! They May not have a big value for me right now but maybe later!

16. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Charlie stephens, yes it is a bit hard to work on model A's in Sweden. But the hot Rod and kustom culture here in Sweden is big nowadays, so there are quite alot of old Ford parts, but nobody wants to sell them since the value on them is skyhigh!

17. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

So My plane for the build is to keep everything old style, try to stay away from new parts.

Im looking for a set of 16" 1935 wire wheels to go along with Firestone blackwall Tires.
    Then maybe i Will chop My roof a couple of inches, but that Will have to wait since i don't want to regret it later on...

The first spring/summer i Will have the stock drivetrain in. But i do own a 59ab and 38trans that May go in My coupe next winter. Altough i do really like 4bangers so maybe i Will hop up the old banger.

18. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Great find, considering your location. Welcome, lots very knowledgable people willing to help. Keep posting!

19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Looks like a good start.

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Wait til you're done growing to chop the roof ;)

I'd say you could pull the spindles off the axle and drill or center punch into the plates through the holes on the spindle. Ideally you'd want to fill and drill.

The 59AB stock will out-go that banger hopped up (unless you spend a fortune), so I'd say keep the banger hop ups on the cheap and make a plan to drop the V8 in while you're driving around on the 4.

21. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Here is some pictures of My Engine, as i Said 59ab from 1946 1/2 ton pick up. This one got a set of edelbrock heads on, im not Sure if they are som old speedparts or maybe they are new? If someone now please tell.
    When i bought it i got an edelbrock super intake to. The 38 trans is in great condition but the Engine is really bad (have not found any cracks... Yet)

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029298.193300.jpg

So i started taking the Engine apart and it looked really bad. 6 out of 8 Pistons were totally stucked. The camshaft was i good shape but all the valves were stuck to. As i Said Ford parts are a bit hard to find here in Sweden so i couldn't find a Much better Engine...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029501.842946.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029520.543714.jpg

The 38 trans looks like it is i good shape, hopefully i don't have to spend My money on it. I Will take a closer look at it later.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029740.229969.jpg

Closer look at My speedparts. I don't think i Will use the intake since i don't like the look of it, and i have to move the generator to be able to make it fit.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029829.680246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457029858.296749.jpg

22. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Welcome to the HAMB Axel! Looks like you're off to a real good start being just 18 yrs old. And your English is fine.

23. Welcome, Nice car

24. alchemy

alchemy

Nice project! The engine looks like a great start. Soak the cylinders in a half-and-half mix of automatic trans fluid and acetone to see if you can bust them loose. Notice the factory relief in those cylinders, probably a truck or military engine originally. And those heads look a bit beat up so I'd bet they are old ones, not new.

patmanta likes this.
  25. Welcome to the HAMB Axel from Germany , and your english it´s better as mine :))))

26. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Great start! Welcome. I say keep the banger. But I am partial to them. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1457043111.370196.jpg

ROCKER77 likes this.
  27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I worked for a Swedish company here in the states. Volvo Gm heavy truck. The company was a first class place. Worked with many intelligent Swedes during those years. Your blonde women didn't hurt my eyes either. I couldn't count the number of sheet metal parts from those trucks that happened to attach themselves to my 1950 Chevy truck.
    I'd say you should stick with your flathead and rebuild it if you've not found any cracks. Check the oil pan rail also.

28. williebill

williebill

AWESOME !!!!

Whippersnapper

bct likes this.
  29. Welcome to the HAMB and great start on a hot rod. Assuming no cracks in your block, it is probably just stuck from sitting many years. It will hopefully be an easy rebuild, although I am sure parts and knowledge are both less common for you in Sweden.

I agree you might be able to salvage the backing plates with some careful grinding, then just get spindles that go with them, and put all that onto a dropped axle once it is apart! Combine a reversed eye leaf spring and the front is sitting nice. If you have good fenders, a low full fendered Model A looks pretty good. Just something to consider.

30. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I have two model A's great platforms roadster/coupe welcome too the club