Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Gartlis museum

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by i.rant, Mar 3, 2016.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg A few pic's, it's sensory overload here, if you stop give it 3 or 4 hours at least.

2. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Ignore the doubles, small phone, big fingers.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. 35cab

35cab

That wall of flathead inlet manifolds! Wow.
    Thanks for posting.

i.rant likes this.
  4. Very cool, thanks for posting. I need to stop by there on the next trip to Florida.

i.rant and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics

i.rant likes this.
  6. BobMcD

BobMcD

Thank's for posting the pics! If I ever get to Florida, I will have to check it out!

i.rant likes this.
  7. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I have been there several time, just fantastic to see all the vintage race cars and speed parts.

i.rant likes this.
  8. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Wow!!! I never knew he had flathead stuff. Drove by there numerous times when my daughter was a student at USF, but sadly never stopped. Always was on a tight travel schedule.

i.rant likes this.
  9. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

JFYI, correct spelling is Garlits. ;)

i.rant and hipster like this.
  10. I dont think I'll ever get there for a look, so thanks for posting these pics.
    Very cool.

i.rant likes this.
  11. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

Been there, saw that, sitting at work wearing the t shirt.

it is well worth the trip. Grandma and the grand kids were at Disney; me and the sons went somewhere interesting.

slack and i.rant like this.
  12. blackanblue

blackanblue

Sweety and I stopped in there two years ago just amazing and 3 or 4 hours is the minimum time to catch a glance and take some pix, thanks for posting. I literaly bumped into Don but there was a bunch of people and he was in a hurry, so no chatting,didnt wash my shoulder for a week.

i.rant and hipster like this.
  13. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Like I said, small phone, big fingers. :confused: Noted

14. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Big never thru anything away, the museum even has the marbles he played with as a kid. I think everything he ever owned is in that place, well worth the time to visit

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been there as well. NOT to be missed. Personally, I don't think 3-4 hours is enough.

i.rant likes this.
  16. Sporty45

Sporty45

He is a big UFO nut too. Wonder if he has anything there about aliens? :cool:

17. Deadbird

Deadbird

Love that place.

18. Boatmark

Boatmark

I've been there several times, and I think I could spend days there and not get bored.

The best visit was meeting Don himself. We were there once when it was really really quiet. He must have been walking through, and as he passed by he stopped and said hello. Asked if we were enjoying our visit etc..

I had been looking a car from the late sixties, and was curious why they had done something in the injection / fuel plumbing on the car . . . So I asked. He said they were trying a lot of wild stuff then, and went on to explain what their idea was at the time. I'm thinking this is REALLY cool.

Then he walked us over to see another car (not one of his), and explained how those guys had tried something different. Then to another car to explain someone else's idea. He sat down on the slick of the third car, and talked another twenty minutes about how all these things evolved into the modern car.

It was incredible, he was with us about 40 minutes total - until he was paged for a phone call. What was so cool was his obvious passion for the cars and the history - not just a famous guy who opens a museum to make a buck.

I left as impressed with the man, as the museum.

flux capacitor, i.rant and Johnboy34 like this.
  19. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Billetproof show the 26th of this month. 2 good reasons to go that day!

20. It's worth the trip to see, have been and looking forward to seeing again

i.rant likes this.
  21. 1blown57

1blown57
    from Florida

My Buddy donated his this Willys pick up To Garlits RIP Picture 039.jpg

i.rant and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  22. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Neat pictures, and a place to go when in Florida. He is an icon, I didn't realize he had that much in his museum though

i.rant likes this.
  23. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Me & 2 pals went there in 1996. A rainy Wednesday & just him & his daughter were there. Even then it was a sight to behold. One pal said...." I'm beginning to think he's been down the quater Mile a time or two....". Don himself took us on a partial tour & it's something I'll never forget. He told us the tale an 66 ish plain Jane white 4 door 426 Hemi belvedere gov't undercover car that was an amazing sleeper in his 2nd building, man i'd love to have that car. A must see place for any car guy. Plus I love racing. Flux

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016