Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Introduction and a few questions/problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Haydn Glover, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Haydn Glover

Haydn Glover

Hi all,

Been a stalker on this site for a while now and most people seem to be very helpful so I thought I'd sign up!!!

Anyways I'm Haydn, 21 years young B) From the good ol' UK. Recently purchased a Ford F100 390 FE from North Carolina, got it in December, Ranger XLT with some of the extras missing :( Wouldn't idle when I first got it but now it does due to a knackered fuel filter. Needs a good service and then onto an MOT so I can start driving it around :D

Few problems first though...
    Tends to backfire sometimes when revving, and recently whilst idling, not entirely sure on the issue as I'm new to V8's and the like. Also, it'll only run with no choke (manual choke) I can start it half choke for example but it'll stall instantly, I have to bang the choke straight out in order to keep it running, which then it runs rough until it's properly warmed up, again not a clue as I'm new, but I'm suspecting timing maybe? Or is my carb on it's way out (Holley, 4bbl, don't know what CFM, model number ground off)

Also due to it not having a Rev Counter I'm a bit stuck as to what it should rev on when idle, as sometimes it sounds like it's on a fast idle all the time, whereas a few times I've had it where it "lopes" which I think is due to the cam it's had (edelbrock performer, aswell as performer 390 intake)

Cheers
    Haydn

2. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Sounds like you need to freshen up your carb. I'm located in NC if you need any help.
    What year is your ranger?

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pic of motor, and of carburetor with air cleaner off

4. squirrel

squirrel

I think you might could have been some help, before he had the truck shipped over to the UK.

Moriarity and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Haydn Glover

Haydn Glover

Won't be able to get a picture with the carb on the motor and cleaner off for a few days yet, this whole going to work malarky gets in the way -_-

Here's all the pictures I have, the carb does look pretty bad. It has had a new air cleaner (not the one in the pic) as the pic I have is "too large" apparently...

Attached Files:

6. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Squirrel,
    I know LOL gets overused nowadays, but your comment actually made me laugh out loud.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. Haydn Glover

Haydn Glover

It does look a bit dated so you might be right, been looking at a 600cfm 4bbl, electric choke Holley. I think this is right going off the mods I have as I'm looking at a redline of between 5k-5.5k. Some models are hold to get a hold of over here though
    Tis a 1971

8. Haydn Glover

Haydn Glover

Forgot to mention another problem haha. My front indicators/sidelights don't flash very bright (rears are fine). They do flash you can just barely see them, this is with both emergency flash and normal turn signal on, I changed the dual filament bulbs but to no avail. Is this a flasher unit problem or do I have some bad earthing somewhere?

I think this is all the problems it has, other than passenger side wheel not straight but I'm sorting that soon anyways. No doubt I'll find more and more as the days go by D:

9. Grumbler

Grumbler

I don't think the front turn signal bulbs should be dual filament. Check the ground wire connections

10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Oops, I wasn't sure if he was still in UK or from UK and now in NC... Every time I'm on here I'm getting home from 12/14 hrs at work... More reading is good though...