Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bonneville Record Car / NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hyfire, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Josh -

I don't see any "dates" on the pics of the PIRELLI Stelvio Supersport tire you posted ... just the tire size (i.e., 8.20-15") ...

Vintage Tire Size Conversion Chart.JPG

2. cobra_4

cobra_4

What an awesome car and an awesome thread. Three days ago I had no idea who Norm was, now I feel like I know him personally from this thread! I actually stumbled upon this thread after I found a few photos of Norm's car searching for a mopar that ran on the salt flats. I have a pretty cool original 63 Chrysler Newport four door that I'm planning to build a patina'd salt flat "push car" out of. I know there is no mention of Norm having a push car or support vehicle for his cars, but do you think it would be in the relm of belivability to create such a "tribute car"? I know its a little off topic, but I figured this was the best place to ask?

3. cobra_4

cobra_4

That would be awesome!!! I'm going to use the 62 and 64 paint scheme and lettering as a bit of a guide. The more pics the better!

4. cobra_4

cobra_4

You tree'd my response!! That is awesome! What was the C in "C. Norm Thatcher"? I saw that alot in the old ads, that business logo will be awesome to mimic. Those were the cars I was talking about, gonna try and use that style lettering!

Thanks for the info!

I know a wagon would be the more likely build, but the old four doors had a big trunk too and its the hand I've been dealt. When I start my build thread, I'll post it in here, don't want to hijack this awesome thread too much!!

5. cobra_4

cobra_4

6. Hyfire

Hyfire

7. Hyfire

Hyfire

And a later photo showing Norm's final car. Bill Thatcher told me a story how him and his Grandfather took a trip to the factory and watched this custom-built car come off the line.

I'm not sure who these people are or why Norm isn't pictured, but I know it's probably a safe bet to think one of them are in the Thatcher family or a shop guy.

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, Finn Jensen and HEMI32 like this.
  8. Hyfire

Hyfire

And while I'm uploading photos, I don't think I've posted these:

Christine Thatcher (aka Chris Brown) was very excited to get a look at the car. She grew up visiting her Grandfather in his shop during these years. So her and her Son decided to stop by and visit for a few hours. With some coaxing, I talked her into driving it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. Hyfire

Hyfire

And finally, the last photo Harry sent. This is from the newspaper photo shoot (seen earlier in the thread), but I've never seen this specific photo before:

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, HEMI32 and glenn33 like this.
  10. That had to be a huge blessing you delivered in that "last ride" sir. Good on ya.

hendelec, loudbang and Hyfire like this.
  11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Fine job you all did for him. RIP, Gary

hendelec, loudbang and Hyfire like this.
  12. Nobey

Nobey

Just found this. What a great story, and car. Good on you Josh.....

loudbang and Hyfire like this.
  13. Josh (@Hyfire) -

That was a wonderful thing you did for Mr. Atkinson (& his family)!

Frank Atkinson 1961.jpg
    Frank A. Atkinson
    July ??, 1937 - April ??, 2017

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    kidcampbell71, loudbang and Hyfire like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Post 497 and 498 shows a 1969 Dodge Charger 500. These were the first of the 'aero' cars, followed by the Daytona and the Superbird. In later years, the '500' was a simple sub model upgrade like R/T. Note the flush mount grille that was different than the inset grilles of other Chargers of that year. It also was equipped with the flush rear window rather than the inset one on all others. Very rare at around 400 made. Since this one is a Red/Black hemi (emblem on front of door) on the west coast, it can probably be narrowed down to the exact car.
    I'd suggest looking through Winged warriors site http://www.wwnboa.org/ and the areo cars section of charger.com http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?board=26.0 Both will have more info on that type of car and may have something on THAT car. I bet this another vintage picture of it. Check the aero charger post Re: C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds - updated July 30th - page 7 , C500 Reply #157 They would appreciate the pics too.

The car in post 499 is a 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T. That one is interesting due to the fresh air and/or multi-carb air cleaner under a solid hood. Hemis normally got a 'shaker' hood for this model, or a T/A fiberglass scooped hood. Since both are not within the confines of this site, I'll let you do image searches rather than post pics here.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Hyfire and loudbang like this.
  15. RodStRace

RodStRace

Check out post 266 too.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-0310-lost-dragstrips-of-so-cal/
    has info on the track, there is a facebook page on it too. I don't 'do' FB so I'll let someone else try to find pics to confirm. The mountains in the background sure look like the LA area though.
    Considering that Harry Hibler ran the track and then Hot Rod, along with other pics of the same car with a HR sticker on the side, it sure sounds like there is a connection.
    This might be it. There are guys that know a great deal about these cars who might be able to confirm.
    However, considering that it was a promo car, the first built, and matches the pictures aside from the wheels, it is close. Read the article and it mentions Mr. Thatcher.
    http://dailycartrends.com/first-1969-dodge-charger-500-remains-in-amazing-unrestored-condition/

Video

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    loudbang and Hyfire like this.
  16. Wow, what an amazing find!

Steve

Hyfire likes this.
  17. RodStRace

RodStRace

I would guess the Challenger was another promo/press car. These were made in greater numbers so are not as well documented. However, there are a few guys that do track these sort of cars. I'd suggest the E-Body only site and Moparts.
    I had a friend that owned a car that was featured/built in a late 60s magazine and when he contacted them for any info, they couldn't be bothered. Don't expect much on that front, although I wish you the best.

That Air cleaner can be narrowed down on this site
    http://www.nicksgarage.com/aircleaner.htm
    in fact, one picture shows an F6 (medium metallic Green) Hemi Challenger.
    Scroll down to the 1970-71 426 Hemi for cars without fresh-air hood (about half way down). Click on the top left picture of the air cleaner installed for the full size picture.

Attached Files:

• chac.png
      chac.png
      File size:
      51.7 KB
      Views:
    Hyfire and loudbang like this.
  18. Mart

Mart

Great bit o film!

19. ... hoping it went to a good home.

loudbang, kidcampbell71 and Hyfire like this.
  20. Josh (@Hyfire) -

I see they ended up in the "McCandless Antique Auto Museum":

Thatcher '58 300D & Vicki Wood '55 C-300 at McCandless 'Museum'.jpg

Me thinks they went to a "good home."

The McCandless family drives the Forward Look MOPARs in their collection to automotive shows & events all over the east coast.

I'm confident that the "Thatcher '58 300D" and the "VIN #1 '55 C-300" will be seen by the public (i.e., not stored away in a dark warehouse waiting for the "right time" to be sold at auction).

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018