Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '56 "HELLCAMINO" -WORTH THE EFFORT?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59IMPALER, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Yep, they look great, I walk right past at least two rows of them at every car show. :cool:

Joel W likes this.
  2. That's so true I remember my dad always getting pissed when the show would do that. He would always say first of all why would you want to look at 5 of the same car at the same time. And second you pick them apart and compare.

Gotgas likes this.
  3. Lots of negative posts here, it's only paint and some ugly.
    Paint is an easy fix, and it'd be fun getting rid of the ugly, and also easy.
    This has the potential to be a very cool unique ride.

Ron Funkhouser, chevy57dude and czuch like this.
  4. fuzzface

fuzzface

I agree with Gotgas and Kiwijeff. I actually like stuff like this. give it a decent color paint job and a few other upgrade changes and I would be happy driving it around

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

After reading all the posts, I went back and looked again at the photos. If that was a two door most everybody here would say, "It's pretty saveable."

I don't like the 55 front end on it but that's pretty easy. I know there may be hidden problems with the metal work, but if you look at it like saving a '56 coupe and adding in reconstructing the back window area. Unless the frame/firewall is really hacked, you can probably swap it for a BBC or SBC.s
    The one thing I would have to change is replacing the 'Nomad' wheel openings with the original '56 openings.

I had a green '55 and it was awesome. Just have to have the right shade. (1964 Cadillac Firemist)
    My $.02, due to inflation won't even buy you a Bubble Gum.

chevy57dude likes this.
  6. raymay

raymay

Posted a picture over on the Photoshop thread for possible ideas. This is what themoose came up with. Maybe I needed to be a little more specific.

222.jpg

dudley32, lewk, belair and 8 others like this.
  7. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I'd have no problem turning that into a budget build. But I have to agree that flat black with drippy green lettering isn't gonna fix it.

8. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I got a kick out of seeing this car on here. I've seen this car around for at least 25 years. Would be neat to see someone do something with it.

9. Was it every cool???:eek::eek::p

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

ROFL!

59IMPALER likes this.
  11. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Haha. You know the answer to that. I would see it parked in the front yard of a not so nice neighborhood.

12. slammed

slammed

Man, some of you experts have posted multiple times. At lame attempts of 'funny'. Back to the car, ditch a few pieces, semi gloss black, polished wheels. Drive a few 1000 miles & you have George by a long, long ways........bud-a-bing street racer.....

PunkAssGearhead88 likes this.
  13. Utes are just cool. GM made them, also. Anybody rodded one?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. Hands down the BEST photoshop to ever appear on the HAMB! Frickin' hysterical!

15. Good to see that you are keeping your sense of humor about this. We have been ragging you pretty hard.:D

16. I think your confused. Thats what car guys do. Any time me and my buddies are working on my car or there car. Its a never ending trash talking picking on brands and the hole ball of wax. This is all fun for me I have a job that I must take seriously. Lighting up, if i seen this at a show I would be maken jokes about it.

kiwijeff, falcongeorge and El Caballo like this.
  17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto, any way you slice it, that was DAMN funny! I honestly dont hate this thing that much, the biggest reason I am kind of down on it is the rust. And when you start pulling bondo, you are going to find TONS more of it, that thing really looks cancerous. I would keep the BB mopar if I were gonna tackle this mess, I really dont get the guys that are down on that. But when you start taking the mud off, you are going to find a shit-load more rust under it. I honestly dont think theres much there to save. You would have to get this thing cheap, and you would REALLY have to be committed to THIS car to cure the cancer, I'm not hearing commitment in your comments.
    This one is not an easy save.

18. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

TheMoose should get some kind of award for that photoshop. Frickin hysterical!

Falcongeorge is saying what I'm thinking. All kidding aside, (and how can you not kid around about this car just a bit?) the poor car has Des Moines road cancer holes peeking out all over. If you take it on, you really have to want to fix it. Personally, I just would not want a 55/56 Camino wannabe that bad. But that is opinion, and I'm not the one considering it.

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm inspired.
    Not as 'inspired' as though I'd found a '61 Cad Flower Car conversion by a Coach company, perhaps stored in the closed-down family mortuary temp/humidity controlled garage, but inspired nevertheless.

20. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

The only mod it needs is a dump bed.
    Moose... great work... laffing here.

21. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I love the photoshop.....

But really, if it could be bought cheap I'd send it to the blaster and see what there was when it came back. It has potential.

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think that as funny as the Photoshop Moose did was, feeding that monstrosity into this would be even more fun. :D

23. raymay

raymay

A couple of more appealing ideas from our friends over in the photoshop thread.

camino copy.jpg nomad truck.jpg

dudley32, kiwijeff and indyjps like this.
  24. indyjps

indyjps

What's the word? Is the green machine for sale?

I'd say make it look like it was a real car similar to what Rayman posted above, the Mopar engine can stay, why not.

If you want a street freak this is the car, Lotta work for a car most will shun, make sure you wanna keep it, cause it will be hard to ever sell.

2 lane blacktop, Camino clone might be interesting. Radius the wheelwells on the 56 quarters and leave the 55 frontend.

25. S.F.

S.F.

Id drive it just like that and not change a thing.

falcongeorge likes this.
  26. It's been for sale off and on for years. I never thought to ask because I was so horrified by the car, that the price didn't matter. No, I'm not in love with it (and that's what it takes), but it has potential to be cool. I really hate to see cars die a ssslllooowww death.

falcongeorge likes this.
  27. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Owning both a 56 chevy for 40 + yrs and a 59 el camino for 27 yrs, i would love to have the car IF the price is right.
    is there a price??

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

brother id love to have that one..i built one back in the lTE 70S OUT OF a 53 or 54 chevy wagon that a tree had taken out the back of. I used fiberglass instead of bondo. and my back window,whee most lose it.didnt open but it turned out good . powder blue and al slots 50s in the back and a narrowed rear. man I loved that thing took me a yr to build but it was worth every hr it took and it took a lot of them.seen that thing a few yrs ago when I went back to tn..and it was still lookin good seems my glass matting had held up a lot better than I thought it would. the guy who has it now has had it for over 20 yrs.! said when he got it the glassing had some cracks but it had held up great..grab that thing and get started. it will be great and they do turn heads.....

29. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

We have a 50 Chevy Ute with 350/350 10 bolt, Jag front and original, pulled it out of the shed, exterior.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC