Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed: 32 grill shell height on model a

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by meats50, Feb 17, 2016.

1. meats50

meats50

I searched multiple combinations of different phrases but didn't find anything definitive. I realize to most this is probably a pretty basic concept but I'm very green to traditional hot rods. And grill shells are expensive.

So here goes.. I'm looking for a general "rule" of how much, if at all, to lower a 32 grill shell in relation to a model a body. My particular case is a 28 roadster, on a model a frame, using the wood body blocks. Grill shell is a vintiques repop.

My question is should the shell be level with the firewall or should it have a slight drop. If so ho much to get the look correct. Pictures of said car attatched. Any and all help/opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I believe 2" chop.

3. slimcat7m3

slimcat7m3
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In my opinion it should have a slight drop. Try running a straight edge from your cowl to the grill and find the line that is pleasing to your eye. No magic number just what looks right. Make sure you roll it out of your garage and look at it from different angles.

4. xmwags

xmwags

It's all personal i reckon. Just play with the height. if you take a little too much out, just remember clean steel is one of the easiest materials to join back together.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake
    from Jax, FL

I didn't lower anything, I took my A shell off and put the 32 right on. I trimmed about 1/2" off of the sides to keep it from rubbing the fender. I'm using an A size radiator, it looks perfect from the side. Hope this helps.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

6. dudley32

dudley32

^^^this is a 30/31... 28/29 won't work like that...I would suggest mocking up with a hood...when it lines up you've got it...

7. FORDY 6

FORDY 6

Just dug out Bishop / Tardel book...they suggest trimming the shell 1 3/4".

8. Crankhole

Crankhole

What's the mesurement of a stock '32 grill?

9. Make it look like this!! I think mine is cut 2 inches. But in reality trim it a bit at a time until you get the proper look.
    DSCN0763.JPG

Travis latour, bct, dudley32 and 2 others like this.
  10. banginona40

banginona40

I like the hood slope to match the the slope of the doors window opening angle.

11. dudley32

dudley32

both my '32 passenger and '32 commercial measure 26 3/8 inches

SANY0001.JPG

SANY0002.JPG

SANY0004.JPG

bct likes this.
  12. Mock it up, make sure the hoodline real or imaginary slopes down from the cowl to taste then mount. So many variables that a hard measurement is moot. Good example of to low of a shell is Milners 32 coupe. Too high....you will know at first glance, usually on overly chanelled cars where the crossmember gets in the way.

13. I cut mine down 2" as well
    [​IMG]

big duece and dudley32 like this.
  14. mike bowling

mike bowling

Always heard the top of the grille shell should line up with the top of the cowl? ( level or straight, whichever fits the build so it doesn't pitch up or down.)

Attached Files: