Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Am I crazy for rescuing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 22, 2016.

1. So the Vicky frame is not as beefy as a convertible?

2. Correct Chris; Here is a photo showing how the I-Beam style X is joined to the inside of the Vicky style frame. The large hole was put there by a P.O. for dual exhaust.
    Electrical and lines 005.jpg

The Wizzard

3. wicarnut

wicarnut

Crazy, No, the height of ambition and optimism, Yes, if you have the time and some skills and a few $$$,you will end up w/ a very cool ride and can say " Yes, I built it " I always admire big projects and the men that accomplish them. Good Luck !

4. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

I'll buy it cheap after its got a new top! Title change to C. Swenson can't be to hard!

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Fresh off the assembly line...... Very cool and worth the money IMO. Seen cars start with less.
    I'd say as long as originality is not a concern, use the Vicky frame and make your own X frame.

Hot-Rod-Nomad-Frame-X-Brace-.jpg thru-frame-624.jpg

6. clem

clem

"Am I crazy for saving this ?"

Any one who says 'yes' should probably be on another forum.......

7. Gman0046

Gman0046

What there looks OK. Way too many missing hard to find pieces for me.

Gary

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  8. pumpman

pumpman

Crazy? Not in my world, course I have no idea what color the sky is. Good luck if you go forward with it.

9. Crazy?
    Not hardly. Especially since you have a Vicky parts donor.
    You've done some amazing rides on here.
    This is just another opportunity!

10. Vicky parts car should be here tomorrow night

11. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Seems like a prime candidate to make a cool traditional custom convertible shoebox. Who wouldn't like that???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Dino

Dino

You need the X-frame from a convertible or a Victoria. The standard ladder frame isn't stiff enough for this car.

13. It's all about timing. 50 years ago: "you're off your nut!" Today: "Cool find!" 20 years from now: "Look at the treasure I found for only 20 grand!"

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  14. Picked up the 1200.00 donor car. It's actually a pretty nice Vicky...but a convertible will be way better ;) it's complete except engine/tranny and bumpers

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

kidcampbell71 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  15. those rear wheels are pretty sweet

blue57ford likes this.
  16. Flashback58

Flashback58
    from Tucson Az.

Looks like a not half bad parts car! I can't wait to see the vert start to come together!

17. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

With that great parts car and the fact that a 51 shoe box is a beautiful car I'd go back near original in looks but maybe modernize the drive train (resto rod). The near zero rust floor pan will offset the time spent chasing down missing parts.

18. Great start to a project. Though that Vicky looks pretty good. Think I´d have a hard time using it as a donor.
    So, does the Vicky frame have the extra X member?

19. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

I would have done it too, the shell looks really solid. Even as a sunny day driver "California convertible" it will be a lot of fun. Looking forward to seeing the vicky parts car and following the build.

20. I'd be looking long and Hard at changing the Vicky into the Vert. I can tell you that the Vicky back window body flange is the same as the Vert flange the Top Tack strip U channel is welded to. I bet you can figure out how to mount the 3 Header bow pins to the Vicky Windshield top.
    The Wizzard

Chris likes this.
  21. mlewis114

mlewis114
    from Omaha, Ne

I see convertible frames on Craigslist often. One in Wichita KS right now. Convertible parts are specific between years 49 50 and 51 also. Learned the hard way on some parts. Very nice body to start with!! Here's ours. Have a bit of a build thread on here somewhere.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1456597550.403881.jpg

exterminator and Surfcityrocker like this.
  22. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trailer-iffic.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  23. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Once you get the Vicky all stripped to just a hull of a body, put it in a field just as the vert was and wait for someone else who is crazy to come along...

24. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

So got the car home and unloaded. I bought it sight unseen off of a craigslist ad for 1200.00. What I could see was decent and the owner just wanted it gone. It had sat in that garage since the 80's. The owner described it as "rusty".

Once home I was amazed at how nice it is. Typical quarter rust but not too bad, little in the rockers but again typical. Floor is very nice. They stripped the paint off about 30 years ago.

So I think now the plan is to convert the vicky to a convertible, and the actual convertible has quite a few key pieces to do it. Should be pretty strait forward. For now, it awaits it's turn in the barn

Paul B and exterminator like this.
  25. Hell yeah might as well do em both. You are still young enough. I started on this crappy 34 roadster of mine when I was 80+ not crazy just plain nuts I say. Go for it you some good stuff to start with.

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I've seen worse. This is an Ozzie car and a HAMBER.
    [​IMG]

That scoop and wheels aren't mine. Side window is from a sedan
    [​IMG]

27. ChefMike

ChefMike

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks like a great Weekend Project !!

exterminator likes this.
  28. exterminator

exterminator

29. hasty

hasty

So does the build thread follow on from this thread?

30. Yes, but he won't start immediately. But once going, I will start a build thread.