Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods C6 Tranny with 4x4 Adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 52JimmyV, Feb 21, 2016.

1. 52JimmyV

52JimmyV

tranny.jpg Hello all. So I bought this 1952 F1 with a 351w and C6 trans included. The C6 seems to be off of an 84 truck or bronco with a 4x4 adapter (tail). My question is :
    1) can I just attach the drive shaft straight to the transmission tail shaft. If not,
    2) will I be able to remove the 4x4 adapter and replace it with non-4x4 tail shaft?
    Any info would be great! Thanks

2. 1. No.

2. No again... You'll need to replace the output shaft as well as the tailshaft, which means a trans teardown...

Unless you have serious performance plans, it'll be probably be cheaper/easier in the long run to swap to a AOD or C4.

3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like Crazy Steve says, no on both ideas. You will need a 2 wheel drive C-6 or rebuild what you have, change output shaft and install the correct tailhousing, or replace with an AOD transmission.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The Ford C6, like the GM TH400, eat up a fair amount more horsepower than the smaller lighter automatics, like the C4 or TH350. That is OK if you have a high torque performance engine and the percentage of power absorbtion is then a small percentage of total power. But for more modest output engines they are not beneficial.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016

5. 69thumper

69thumper

a ford c6 trans will use abt. 60 to 65 hp . not the most economical trans to use considering the price of gas these days.

6. 52JimmyV

52JimmyV

Thanks for all the info and advise. You saved me a headache.

It looks like I'll be putting up my C6 4x4 on Craigslist. I have not seen one for sale, what do you guys think I can get for a "working" C6 4x4 on CL? I think classic bronco guys like them. San Diego CA.