Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical how loud should a trans shift sound?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Feb 23, 2016.

1. I just bought a lokar trans cable linkage kit for my 56 olds that has a 700 r4 trans in it..i installed it..which the support arm didnt really fit even after shaving off some metal but its holding tight and im going to put some spacers on it...i got a 2 1/4 column kit and my column is 2 1/4 go figure...but thats not my problem... what i want to know is a 700 r4 trans suppost to sound this loud shifting between gear when not running? seem aweful loud https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v2/y4/r/-PAXP-deijE.gif

Attached Files:

2. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Does sound rather louder than i recall / expect. Maybe it's the echo-y garage? Is the trans fluid in it - would probably make a difference, not because of the lubrication but simply muffling the sound? What's it like shifting through the gears using just the lever on the trans with the cable disconnected?Why not drop the trans pan and retest and work from there?

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Make sure the detents on box match those on column and that angles are NOT too severe or curves in cable too tight, that may be the cause? With rod ends and cables there should be no binding with shifting smooth and not that noisy. The shortest distance between 2 points is a straight line, it might just be some slight tweaking to eliminate something causing the noise?.

Attached Files:

4. squirrel

squirrel

There's a spring in there, it makes noise. I would not worry about it.

5. Thanks Squirrel..i was just thinking it was going to be a lot quieter...I guess ive gotten to used to my dodge Dakota :)

6. Shifting it with a hammer :)

cobalt333 likes this.
  7. it doesn't have fluid in it yet and just flipping through the gears by hand at the trans clacks pretty loud too...im thinking its not the cable system..just the nature of the trans gear movements...I will try it out later down the road when I get it filled and im up and actually driving it then see if it quieter and breaks in abit