Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Car Scammer in Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mantuajohn, Feb 18, 2016.

1. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Hambers Beware. I just got scammed by a Matt Tear who said he was in Cat Spring, Texas hauling cars. Claims he found some great cars (32 Ford/67 Chevelle) can be bought cheap. Watch out for this good ol boy. JOHN

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And you fell for it and sent money ? :rolleyes:

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

need more details on how you heard that he had cars For Sale?, etc. have you contacted the Cops? is he on Facebook, etc?

4. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

How long ago did you find about the cars for sale? How long ago did you send him money? How did you send him money? How and when did you realize you were scammed?
    My way of thinking is if I can't fly out to see the car first (or have someone I trust to check it out for me), than I shouldn't be buying it.

Martin72 likes this.

5. Well I got no money to loose but thanks for the heads up.

Sancho likes this.
  6. I second that, well I always find beer money to lose. But thats garage motivation so maybe I'm not losing:eek:

7. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Highly desirable cars that can be bought cheap (appealing to human greed) is how they sucker people every time.

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I've been dealing with scammers for a couple of days. I'm shopping health insurance and made the mistake of checking some online sites. I have a couple of months before I need it but all of them say I have to sign up today. I ask them to Email coverage details and they claim they can't until I sign up but they can tell me what it covers over the phone. They are persistent I have to give them that.

Scammers are always in a hurry and don't want to provide anything in writing. When cars are involved, ask them to take a picture that nobody ever does of a car. Like open the passenger side door and take a picture of the latch on the door and door post.

9. Good advice. I do see some auctions that look like someone has just walked around a car and taken pictures, maybe to wrangle a down payment out of someone... like $500 from Western Union. I could retire off doing that all day.

Health insurance, look into state-sponsored plans. You should be able to find one on a .gov search for your state.

10. For photos I have them hold or lay todays news paper on it with the date showing.

For insurance get the company name and do a google search you should find an 800 number or a local number. When I bought my coverage to compliment my medicare they actually sent someone to the house to discuss the policy with me.

11. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

It makes sure they at least have access to the vehicle and aren't pulling pictures off the internet. The newspaper thing used to work well but these guys can photoshop it onto a picture these days.

I am checking on many plans including the State plan. I'm getting information to see what I should do. I can get a cheap plan that doesn't meet ACHA specifications , pay the penalty at the end of the year and still save money over the ones that they insist I need to sign up for immediately.

12. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I wrote about that same guy a year ago, different name but same scam.

13. 5window

5window

If it walks like a duck... Sorry if you got scammed, but honestly? Did you really expect to find Deuces and 67's Chevelles anywhere cheap, let alone the 'net?

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  14. John Tumolo

John Tumolo

Stupid me. He was a transporter that had been to my house a while back and caught me at the right time with the right B/S. Sad these low lifers are out there. Police said to file a report but it happens a lot. Like I said "stupid me".

15. Sorry this happened to you John...Gotta watch out for us transporters! LOL
    Heck I even got scammed by a fellow transporter that drives around in a short bus. He asked me to do a transport for him because his truck was broke down & he would send me a check...that was 3 or so years ago, still waiting for that check!

Model T1 likes this.
  16. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Well it is called snail mail!

17. Model T1

Model T1

We'll wait. Get on. imageedit_6_3591626327.gif

18. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

I knew you can't trust those Texas guys:p

19. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

So what happened ? How did he scam you?

20. Some goofy lady here just sent security deposit to a guy for an apartment on Craigslist. She never bothered to look at the apartment until she went to move in, funny thing was, single family house that was inhabited by the owners !