Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Single tail light- model a roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lodaddyo, Feb 19, 2016.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

So i havent decided on which tail lights i wanted to use on my model a roadster. I bought a set of 39 lights, but remembered i had a '32 tail light laying around. Decided to fab up this single light bracket. Im really digging the look. Might put a super bright led bulb in it.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455919923.535476.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455919954.583567.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1455919997.876298.jpg

Stogy, mike bowling, bct and 5 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looks Cool, as long as you are not in traffic with fast traveling citizens on their cell phones, etc behind you.

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Nice work.

Same idea, I used the spare tire holder bolt holes as well and ran the wire through the top one with the stock tail light and an old license frame holder. :)
    boatohdem 004a.jpg

Stogy, bct, Jet96 and 2 others like this.
  4. choppedtudor

choppedtudor

yep, I did the same....

5. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Dont worry i ride a harley, im used to the crazy people

6. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, they call me swivel head........I'm always looking for those not watching!
    A hard task sometimes! :)

7. car doctor

car doctor

Did the same but also put on 37 tail lights for turn signals which we have to have in Penna. 2016-01-20 14.08.16.jpg

Stogy, bct, Jet96 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Model T1

Model T1

I like the original poster's light but would move the tag under it.
    The best is CAR DOCTOR'S with the other two lights for tail-stop- and signal which many places require. I'd want those for little ole blue haired Florida drivers. Sadly this ain't 1930-31 yet.

9. badshifter

badshifter

Can't tell what it's made of, but I predict a short life for the narrowed down section holding the plate. I'd make that much stronger, lotta shaking going on on our old cars.

Model T1 likes this.
  10. 5window

5window

Well you couldn't fly with that in PA. Even if you could, I can't account for idiot drivers BEHIND me-I run two taillights (trad 50 Pontiacs) and a 3rd brake light (non-trad safety). I want to be SEEN!!.

FWIW, skip the damn LED's and go with a Ron Francis Brite Light 1157.

Model T1 likes this.
  11. I kinda have the same setup as 2935ford only I also have 39 tail lights.

Model T1 likes this.
  12. 41 C28

41 C28

Your set up looks good but I personally want my back side to be seen a lot better than with only one light especially on a model A where you only have body hanging out back there. Other drivers aren't looking for only one light.

Model T1 likes this.
  13. Model T1

Model T1

You have 39 tail lights? I saw those once on a Harley!;)
    He also had 40 on the front.

14. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Its made out of 1/8" plate , i really didnt want to make it that tall, but i thought it looked good with the plate centered on the rear pan.

Stogy likes this.
  15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a lot harder to split the lanes with a roadster compared to a bike

Model T1 and lodaddyo like this.
  16. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Many cars had single taillights back then. Heck, even my 51 Ad truck came with a standard single taillight. A second taillight was a extra cost option.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

True but the other drivers were used to seeing them all the time and weren't just paying half attention to their driving or the vehicle in front of them. Sometimes the safety of you and yours trumps "but they came that way". I like the look but the idiots around here would run over you in a New York minute the way they drive and don't pay attention most of the time.

18. HotRod31

HotRod31

Yes but they didn't have idiots texting on cell phones back then

19. 117harv

117harv

Member shares his fab work and the comments fly about one taillight being dangerous ? Someone should let the 10 million bikers know they are in grave danger.

Nothing wrong with the single taillight imo, I like the look and it fits the time period, I plan to run just one also, nice job on the bracket.

20. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nope, just idiots picking their nose:p

21. 5window

5window

Attention 10 million bikers. You are in grave danger. There. You think idiots are looking for bikers when they can't even see cars, or for that matter tracter-trailers? Most of the time, most of us will choose two over one.

Stogy, Model T1 and 117harv like this.
  22. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks good. Nice and clean....

lodaddyo likes this.
  23. I like it .
    It could also be a more traditional 3rd brake light.

Stogy likes this.
  24. 117harv

117harv

To be fair, some of the idiots are on bikes too. I love my early cars and bikes, you have to choose the time and place to drive, and drive like everyone wants to kill you, also grow eyes in the back of your head. I still like and will run the single light, a drum to be exact.

Stogy likes this.
  25. Model T1

Model T1

Time to comment again. Yes there are 10 million bikers on the roads. 99% of those 10 million bikers have at least one centered tail with stop light plus a set of turn signal lights.
    Cars in the 20's - 50's had one tail light/brake but there were way less cars and idiots on the roads and much slower speeds. Also I remember using hand signals when younger. Are you gonna stick your arm out the window? And if so does that teen aged girl on her cell phone know what you are doing or is she gonna call the cops 'cause you are hitting on her?
    The world has changed and the more lights we have the better odds we'll been seen. But if you'd rather look cute and run one rear light enjoy your car before it gets rear ended.

Let's go back even further. Remember when someone on foot had to walk ahead of the car carrying a lantern? Remember when you had to stop your Tin Lizzy to let a horse pass? It ain't the same today like it ustta wuz!

This has been an unpaid safety anouncement posted with a monitor and keyboard.:rolleyes:

26. mike bowling

mike bowling

27. 5window

5window

I like the look, I just pray for you that drivers in MA are several quantum levels more attentive than those in PA. I doubt it, though and I would always really be nervous driving your car in traffic.

I also think tag topper,while cool, give the rear end apperance a little bit of an unsettling, asymmetric look.. Your car though. have fun.

28. mike bowling

mike bowling

No problem; nobody drives my cars but me.
    And the "asymmetric" look matches the owners take on things in general- off center.
    Extra credit for word use though.

lodaddyo likes this.
  29. Jmorton27

Jmorton27

That looks pretty awesome.

mike bowling and lodaddyo like this.
  30. 5window

5window

:)