Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Flathead Ford Intakes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Schwanke Engines, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Hey all,

So I Finally have the Short Block back together on my 286 Stroker, What I was originally planning was to go with d 4bbl Carb, but have since acquired a matched set of 94's and have decided to swap to a Dual setup. What I am wondering is if any of the Flathead Intakes will interchange with each other? I have a 53' Engine and found a cheap Edelbrock Super Dual intake, but I think it's for the 38-48 Engines. Can I bolt this up on my 53? I understand I will not have the Road Pipe, and would have to run the rear vent, but that Isn't a big deal. Any Help would be much appreciated.

2. nevrDUN51'

nevrDUN51'
    from Nashua, NH

As far as I know, the earlier intakes will bolt up, however they won't have any provision for the road draft tube, front oil fill tube, or generator mount. So therefore you'll need the fuel pump stand that has the breather/fill on top and the left or right head mount style generator mount. Please don't take this as gospel, I am not an old hot rodder, just another guy with an 8ba.

Iron Man likes this.
  3. shineRUMRUN

shineRUMRUN

I have a an 8ba in my 34 ford coupe with an 48 offy 2 pot intake with low pressure pump &fuel reg, removed the fuel pump rod had to turn rear cam bearing got a mushroom plug to keep the oil from spraying up ,also got the rear breather _oil fill from flathead Jack . check it out with jack he was very good to help&explain to this Canadian guy . it also looks cleaner without the stink pipe.

4. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

It has been 50 years but as I remember 32-53 intakes all have the same bolt pattern. As has been said
    yow need to use pre 49 fuel pump stand push rod and oilfill/breather If manifold does not have generator mount then you need as head mounted generator bracket.

5. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

The early intake has a different number of mounting holes, but the pattern is the same. I prefer the early intakes for most applications, as the carb mounting surface is parallel to the block, whereas the 49-53 manifolds, tip the carbs slightly forward.

6. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I am not running a mech fuel pump so I should just need a breather. I think.

7. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

So I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to mount the alternator in this setup if the intake does not have provisions how have guys done this?

8. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Remember this is a 53 engine and my heads have the water necks on the front top of the heads

9. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Offenhauser made a special offset water neck to clear a head mounted genny bracket.

10. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Ok, got the intake bought, looks like I should be able to run the older head mount and make it work with a straight water neck

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

If the breather pipe inside the valley is still stock, it sticks up above the manifold surface.
    You will need to cut it off about 1/4 inch below the surface.
    Everything else should work..

12. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I removed it when I built the engine. I was going to block off the fuel pump stand on my 4bbl intake, but may just drill it and try a pcv setup, and see if that works, if not I'll just put a remote breather on it.

13. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As already stated, the '32 -53 intakes will all interchange, and the early flat carb bases vs the angled (open drive) '49-'53s. However, the flow through ventilation on '35-'48s is very different from the '49-'53s, and simply installing an early intake on on late engine will prevent any flow.
    The best way to allow good ventilation with an early intake/late engine is to cap off the front stand pipe, install a pcv and plumb to the bottom of the intake, and teed to both sides, along with keeping the early pump stand and fresh air intake/oil fill, imo.

14. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This adds even more alphabet soup to intake choices...:eek:

15. frosty-49

frosty-49

I am running 3 deuces on my flathead with an alternator. Had a clearance problem with the alt on the front carb. DSC00140.JPG Ended up redrilling the alt. mount and raising the alt. to clear the front carb and replaced with a longer belt.

16. My PCV valve draws through the original crankcase vent location at the rear on my Evans triple intake, through an aluminium stand pipe I made with a Cummins screw-expanding filler plug. It vents through an old Moon straight valve cover vent on an aluminium elbow into the front right of the oil pan. Manifold vacuum supplies the draw.

17. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I got a 49-53 intake bought tonight, so problems solved. I'll save the 38-48 for another project or sell it off. Thanks for all the help.

18. "So I am having trouble figuring out how exactly to mount the alternator in this setup"

Are you going to run a 300-watt stereo? Or air conditioning? If not, why do you think you need an alternator? Generators work fine on Hot Rods, and they are "traditional."

19. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Because my generator is bad, and I have several alternators on the shelf. Plus alternators work better, I could honestly care less what is more traditional. I also need the charging capacity for when I get my efi setup going. I mean isn't hot rodding about using what you have laying around anyway? I also plan to have a new stereo and was going to try to rig up some sort of DVD system for the kids.

blackandgold likes this.
  20. So I'm getting the old intake with late engine issue. Are there any issues the other way around (early engine late mani) flow or performance wise?

21. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You would have minimal air flow. One solution would be to add an early fuel pump stand /vent and cap off the late road draft and oil fill.
    Below are drawings of early and late V8 ventilation. Hopefully they will help understand the differences.

Early '35-'48.
    [​IMG]

Late '49-'53.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  22. Never even thought about that. Makes sense with the diagrams. Thanks.

23. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I totally agree with Marty and Bob. Definitely go with a PVC. It will keep your engine much cleaner then any stock flow through application.

24. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I plan to run a pcv now that I have the correct manifold for my engine. Sucks I didn't find it 2 days earlier though. I'm not running stock fuel pump to save room, have read many many horror stories caused by this, so I'll block it off and run electric.

25. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Does removing the fuel pump and push rod effect the oil pressure. I vaguely remember hearing something about this. Frank

26. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Don't know this is a learning experience for me. Will find out

27. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio