Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question..model a torque tube to 39 trans

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VonKool13, Feb 14, 2016.

1. VonKool13

VonKool13

I need to know if a Model A torque tube bolts up to a tail end on a 39 trans? If so, are there any adapters I need? What's the deal gents....before you ask I did a quick search. Thanks for the help.

2. You should add your general location (So Cal) is too big. San Diego? Bakersfield? I think you will need a 48-4520A, Cap (universal joint housing outer) that fits 1932 to 1948 and the B4513 Cap (universal housing inner). The Model A used A4520C and A4513A (see the Green Bible). If your definition of So Cal includes San Diego be sure to attend "The Big Three Swap Meet". That is a part that you could also probably get from CW Moss or The Early Ford V8 Store.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  3. 5280A2

5280A2

Yes it will bolt up using the V8 u-joint housing that matches your transmission. You will need both the inner and outer pieces that are called "clamshells" by some.

4. VonKool13

VonKool13

5. Any chance these two parts came attached to your '39 transmission?

Charlie Stephens

6. Mac VP

Mac VP

If you don't find them at the swap meet give us a call this week. Pretty sure we've got a few a those.

7. VonKool13

VonKool13

Ok, i will do that. I havnt bought the trans yet, but I found and now bought (because of the info here) a model A rear with juice brakes adapted to it. From a hamber.
    Just getting my ducks in a row. I'm building a post war roadster and I want it to have stock model A stance with big and little on 35 wires. I'm either going flat head 8 but now thinking of a hopped up banger would be so much cooler.
    My good buddy Cooter has a banger 29' and it is a rip flying down the streets at 40 mph in a pre war hot rod. I know it isn't practical to run a banger, but whoever heard of practical being a fun option in life any how...I think a later trans like a 39 would really help the drivability and having juice brakes will be alot safer.