Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 51 F1 lowering

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stock kar boy, Feb 5, 2016.

1. stock kar boy

stock kar boy

I'm not new to fabrication but new to working on vintage vehicles,I know this has been posted on here at one time or another.As I am new to this site also,Q#1--Does anybody know about the leaf springs from LMC truck part # 45-3026,It states they lower the back down 3".I called them but theres no "Tech line".They look exactly like the ones on my 51 F1.I was going to remove every other leaf on mine now.And see how far she drops.I also have a Camaro clip in the front.I have that covered on lowering.Q#2--Once I lower the truck a little,What suggestive pinion angle am I supposed to be running as the wrap up on the leafs will increase once the springs are "soffened".....any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks

2. 302aod

302aod
    from Pelham,Tn.

I dropped my 64 for $10. in back. I went to Tractor Supply and got 2 trailer mounts. They position the rear axle on the springs. I took out the tie bolt and turned it up-side down. Put the axle over the springs and put it back together. I then split a 5 inch piece of pipe and welded it into my frame after cutting out a place for it. I then boxed the frame in that area. The pipe allows for the rear axle to have more up-ward travel instead of hitting the frame. This lowered the back 3 inches.

3. you use the same pinion angle and deal with the spring wrap. There is no real way to fudge the pinion angle to compensate because the amount the springs wrap is dependent on too many variables. load, applied torque, road surface, etc.

4. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Yup, flipped my rear axle so the axle sits on top of the leaf springs. There are kits available if you don't want to go the Harbor Freight method. I have a 52 F 1 with a mustang front suspension. Flipping the rear will give you a nice stance.

5. 52lomofo

52lomofo

Rusty1 on here did his 48-50 ford f1 by using short well base springs from 73-78 Chevy 1/2 ton and flipping the rear

6. stock kar boy

stock kar boy

I already have to cut off the lower shock perches anyhow,so I may as well flip the rear to the top,but I don't want to have to cut the bottom of the frame,Sounds like there are a few options,but I don't want to start hacking things up though to make things fit.Simple fix I hope.Thanks people,I do appreciate the ideas!!! PS the rear is out of a 72' F100 so the lower shock perches are a smidge wide ...

7. david363

david363
    from Texas

I lowered mine with Posie springs and a Sid's dropped axel.Also raised both the rear spring hangers