Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1955 Bel-Air Gasser Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NMKII, Jan 12, 2016.

1. NMKII

NMKII

2. henry29

henry29

That looks like the stock frame someone has put a 70's Camaro or nova sub frame on.

3. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

Rear section is stock frame, but look to have been moved together to narrow it. Front section is "Metric", G-body, 78-88 Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Malibu. I don't know anything about straight axle setups, but I think you better start fresh with a original 55 or 56 Chevy frame.

BrandonB likes this.
  4. NMKII

NMKII

Yes, perhaps its the best idea to set the body onto a Gasser chassis. I haven't seen many projects with this combination and assume that altering the frame again to add a front subframe will just weaken everything. Thanks Monte.

5. henry29

henry29

6. NMKII

NMKII

Henry, I saw this, look really nice. I'm afraid I am not as skilled so I may need some help. Could I use a sub-frame and weld it on?

7. henry29

henry29

8. NMKII

NMKII

I am located in Amsterdam, Netherlands. This is pretty unfortunate for these circumstances as if I were back home in PA this could be sorted much faster. I will make pictures of the frame details tomorrow. Stay tuned and thank you.

9. glrbird

glrbird

10. NMKII

NMKII

Yes I think I can try this also. level everything and cut it. Sounds like a scary plan. Thanks for this glrbird.

11. glrbird

glrbird

You may have to use a different steering box, Good Luck

12. Not every car that ran in the Gas Classes back in the day,had straight axles. There were probably more 55 Chev's with stock suspension than straight axles. Why not finish the car as it was being built?

X38 likes this.
  13. NMKII

NMKII

To keep it simple and save some costs, I will use the G Body Metric frame that has already been narrowed in the rear. Since the rear end is also set up I can just focus on getting everything that is here solid or updated rather than cutting and making a 'franken-frame'. I will just lower the entire thing completely. Can anyone recommend a good lowering/suspension kit for a G Body frame; Perhaps 2" drop spindles and a 2" suspension package front and rear? would that be enough to get me close to the ground?
    Here are some updated photos of where I am at the moment with the body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    chevy57dude and volvobrynk like this.
  14. NMKII

NMKII

Here are some updated photos of the current suspension front and rear.
    Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 13.59.03.png Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 14.02.32.png Screen Shot 2016-01-16 at 14.02.45.png

15. Butch M

Butch M

16. Nice 55 Chevy and probably the first 55 gasser in Holland.

Groeten Hennie

17. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Interesting project and I always love another 55 Gasser best of luck and keep posting photo's.

Jimbo

18. NMKII

NMKII

Would it be possible to lower the G-Body Frame to sit like this and if so could anyone recommend some applications? Or would this only be possible with a pro street chassis?

Attached Files:

19. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

You already have a pro street chassis. Alot of pro street cars were built with stock front suspension. To lower it, look for dropped spindles and other lowering components for the frame section that has been grafted on. These parts will all be bolt on with maybe minor fab work.
    To lower the rear suspension, you will have to put lowering blocks between the springs and the rear axle or get lowering springs for a 55. The rear frame is a 55 frame.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  20. NMKII

NMKII

Thanks for the response, How low do you think these modifications will get me to the ground? I thought the rear end was also a modified G Body that was cut and narrowed. I will post more photos of the under carriage.

Thanks
    N

21. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

images-4.jpeg
    Obviously, the car pictured is completely out of line for the HAMB, but it is a g body. I would imagine you could get the 55 that low with drop spindles, drop springs and drop control arms. All of it would be bolt on. The rear frame section is definitely 55 chevy. Looks as though someone just narrowed the frame. The rear suspension in a gm g body is coil springs not leaf springs. Good luck to you, I will be watching your progress!

22. NMKII

NMKII

I spoke to Summit Techs and they recommend a 2" drop spindle:
    http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/wst-11312/overview/
    with a 1" drop spring: http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/bel-5104/overview/

Do you believe this would be enough? I can then add the adjustable coil overs in the rear such as Strange or QA1. Otherwise they recommend a RideTech system which has greater variants but seems like trouble. I guess I have been hesitant to purchase these items, import them, and the result be average because of my lack of knowledge and experience. I keep going. :)

23. vintagedrags

vintagedrags

The spindles and springs aren't too expensive and if they don't give you the affect you are looking for, look for dropped a arms. I think you will be happy with the look though.

24. NMKII

NMKII

Thanks for all the advice, I will give it a try and order them and see what happen. :)