Register now to get rid of these ads!

Beware of Vendors!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GarageAholic, May 3, 2006.

1. GarageAholic

GarageAholic

This is just a note to anyone that’s considering building a hot rod. As the son of a mechanic and a hot rodder, I have grown up in a garage and been around cars all of my life, and at 45, I have owned several muscle cars and street rods. About a year and a half ago, I decided to build a ’32 Ford to replace one I sold in 1996. This experience has been an eye opener for me as to the number of crocked individuals that have gone into the street rod vendor market place. Though I want to believe that there are still good people in this world, I have yet to run into a vendor that I could recommend (or even have one good word to say about). These unscrupulous individuals refuse to stand behind the junk that they manufacture, or the third world produced products that they sell. I guess when you market junk that pretty much forces you to be that way; otherwise you would never make a profit. My advice to fellow hot rodders is to talk to people before you spend your money. Be especially aware of companies that claim to be the best, like the one’s that pay for full color ads in magazines (they’ve been in business for a long time so they have to be good; Right? – Not!). For example, I just got off the phone with a major 9” Ford vendor that claimed that the axle seals that I received with the housing, which are too large, couldn’t have come from him because he only carries one size. But he was glad to send me the correct ones for a fee plus shipping- SOB! This is just one example of many. We need to work together to put these low-life’s out of business before they ruin our hobby.

2. OLDSKEWL61

OLDSKEWL61

THATS why i only shop at junkyard NAPA and the HAMB.

3. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

This has been going on since the invention of the automobile.
    Just research your purchases.

4. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

4 posts and you are on here blowing up ALL VENDORS?????

Welcome to the board, but browse around a bit, meet some folks, research then buy. But to come on "OUR" board and just start throwing blanket statements around is.................BULLSHIT!

Cyclone Kevin likes this.

5. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

Not all vendors are evil – I have lots of good feedback here plus I always stand behind what I sell. (There’s the HAMB shipping discount too). Most of the hard parts I sell are made here in the good ‘ol USA by small manufacturers such as Vern Tardell, Exeter Auto Supply, Pete & Jakes, Joe’s Speed Shop, O’ Brien Truckers, Magnum Axle and more. My hot rod gas tanks and Model “T” tanks are hand built by dedicated craftsmen in the Midwest.

I believe in the coming years we’ll see many more quality products designed, built and distributed here. Americans generally have good imaginations.

6. Don't bitch unless you can be specific and give us examples of what
    happened.

General comments don't help anybody on here, vendors or customers.

7. 5window

5window

Yogi's,Sachse Rod Shop,Summit Racing,Jeg's,Speedway,LeCarra-lot's of guys stand behind their stuff. It's always been caveat emptor-buyer beware-but there are people whose word is still good. Still, nobody's perfect.

If you've had a bad experience, try to get them to fix it, if they won't, let us know who it is.

BTW-who are you? We need an introduction,please.

8. There's good and bad. I've posted about both. If you can't name the companies your talking about then STFU.

9. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

summit racing is one of if not the biggest aftermarket company. I have never had a problem dealing with them. returns are easy but that may because i have a summit store in sparks. personally i am very careful where i throw my money i do my research and ask people stuff.

10. dmarv

dmarv
    Alliance Vendor
    from Exeter, CA

Michael,

Thanks for the compliment!

Dan Marvin, Owner
    Exeter Auto Supply

11. Gumpa

Gumpa

So far the only times I have been burned by vendors has been my fault. Either I was trying to cut a great deal and got hooked by a con artist or I didn't read the fine print, so to speak. I stick with buying from people and businesses I know or have been refered too. Gumpa

12. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Always the smart ass, who made you the judge???

13. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

Do I know you? Did some part of my post make you laugh?

I saw the guy has been a member since last fall, and looked at what his 4 posts were. And I even went back and Re-Read the guys post above before posting. One of his other posts was a slam on a hot rod body builder.

If you don't have anything good to say about somebody keep your mouth shut. That is unless you believe it will help the greater good. This guy clearly didn't have that thought in mind! He came on here making broad sweeping statements that all VENDORS as BAD is bullshit! If you have a beef, state who its with and the facts if you want to air it in public forum.

If this is just a vent then tell us. Don't jump into the middle of the theatre full of firemen and yell fire. Cause your going to get laughed at.

Model T1 likes this.
  14. 5window

5window

That sounds about right to me.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Year One has always had a no-hassle return policy; they'll take it back, and will even pay the shipping. Their corporate policies and attidudes are one of the reasons I went to work for them.
    And even with that, we get people who just want to bitch about...something. Anything. Makes them feel secure knowing that the rest of the world is screwed up and that they couldn't possibly have their head up their ass.
    Four posts, two bitching?
    -Brad

16. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

if the vendor is on ebay he might be right 50 50 garantee
    if it breaks in half you own both pieces
    works for me
    Ken

17. Mike,

What Dan said:)

Dennis

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A big rant over 8 dollars ?? at my local Car Quest store ... good folks ...at the one I go to ... real parts guys. I just bought 2 axle seals for a 9 inch Ford yesterday. The ones for the ' Big Ford ' axles in a 57 Ford housing. I have him the seal numbers ... :rolleyes: ... and I got the correct ones ... 8 dollars and some change ...

MOST of the vendors I have dealt with are great to work with.
    But you do NEED to know what to order ;)

TCI
    Walker
    Wheel Vintiques
    Early Ford store
    Bob Drake
    Car Quest
    Dennis Carpenter
    Lobecks
    Advance Plating

and the list goes on ... all were good to deal with

19. specialk

specialk

Sachse Rod Shop is just down the road from me and they are a great bunch. I especially like Saturdays as they don't work in the shop, they just have a couple of guys around who shoot the shit with whoever comes by (out in the shop). They answer questions, show what they've done, critique the work of others (and their own).

I really don't care what it costs (i.e., it's cheaper on the internet) I WILL continue to spend my money there whenever they have what I want.

20. 5window

5window

Well,yeah,exactly. I just bought fan from Marv,the local speedshop guy-knows and has built several rods good enough to be in the major mags-gives free advice,doesn't push,spends the time. So I could have gotten it for $32 on the net instead of $39 at Marv's. But first,I got it now, and second,I like to support the local guys. How many of us have a local speedshop in our towns? The seven bucks is okay-I've gotten that much free advice and more over the years without buying anything.

21. I deal exclusively with Horton Enterprises out of Milton Ontario, and I can't say enough good things about these guys. Both the original Paul Horton who started the business and ran it for many years out of Breslau Ontario, and the current (new) owner, paul Barber, who now operates out of Milton, Ontario have given me excellent service over the years. Any time there has been a problem, they have corrected it, shipped me new parts at no charge, taken things back that I ordered wrong (yeah, I do that sometimes), and in general they've been honest, pleasent businesses to deal with. I know that they are not the cheapest people out there to deal with, but that is because they refuse to deal in low quality junk parts. The joy you get from buying a really low priced component from someone else is rapidly offset by the dissapointment and anger when that same part fails after 2 weeks or looks so crappy that you don't want to bolt it onto your car.

22. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a short list of venders and it works. I am not able to get anything locally because there are no shops that can help if it isn't in there computer data base. The venders that are willing to get me the right pieces and understand english are always going to get my buisness. I have no problem supporting the merchants that are priced based on American made products as long as they are American made. After all this is my home too and everybody can't sling burgers. If your just buying for price you will get junk The H.A.M.B. has been a good source for the right people and venders of what works and who has it. General statements about sellers being bad are like saying any group is out to get you(they may be but you could be asking to get screwed) and there is always another side to the story.

23. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

If you don't explain the problem and don't have the balls to name names go piss and moan somewhere else. Nobody cares!

24. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

As one of the guys said, you need to be specific as to who it is that fucked you. I deal with a bunch of different hot rod vendors and have found that if you know what your doing and you express the problem to them, they will bend over backwards to help you. Example: I ordered a tie rod from Speedway. When it came in, there were no jam nuts for the tie rod ends. I emailed them and you know that they send them to me second day air in a big ole box. They went to all that trouble to make it right. I had a little problem with Posies and posted it in a civil manner on the site and guess what? They also took care of it immediately. That's not to say that there are idiots out there but, if you stick with the vendors that have been around for a while you should be OK. Be specific. This site has a huge following and the vendors know that so when there is a problem they will usually take care of it right away. Now....tell us about your build project...HUMMMM?:cool:

25. carmuts

carmuts

I have been selling good used NOS and NORS parts for over 20 years on ebay, Fordbarn and for the last few years some here on the HAMB. I have also bought many parts. My experience has been mostly good. I do my absolute best to represent parts as they are and expect the same from those I buy from. While I do have some complaints about some of the Alliance Members here I did not loose any money, but after long on promises they dropped the ball or backed out and helped to stall my project for the time being. I am now working on a plan to get past the obsticle taking them at their word created. Not newly manufactured parts, just patterns to do things right. As far as new parts I have good luck with the vendors mentioned above. Rod

26. Bingo. Anyone that gets a raw deal usually sets themselves up for it. I've been there myself, chalk it up to experience and keep my yap shut.

Purchases here have all been positive, Ford Barn as well. eBay... I've had a couple of so-so deals. One I got resolved through Pay Pal. Summit, I've had a few returns and one ordering error on their part, but it got resolved and I'm happy.

27. trollst

trollst

Been building more than thirty years, I go to my local parts store, buy ALL my parts there, all off the shelf shit, if it's special, I'll get in the truck and drive several hours to get it. All this online shit just blows my mind sometimes, I use all stock parts when I can, because when you break down in bumfuk nowhere, (there's a lot of that here), I can go get the parts I need to get going again. Difference in attitude, and I guess age.

28. A lot of the part that ''Street Rod'' shops sell can be bought at local auto parts stores or ''Rock Auto'' for much cheaper. Things like switches, gaskets , bearing and much more.

29. rooman

rooman

Wow, ten years later this thread comes back to life.

Roo

55 Ford Gasser and kidcampbell71 like this.
  30. This sucker rose from the Fxxxing dead . . . Zombie thread if there ever was one . . .