Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Willys frames - Car Verses Pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38 2 DR Sedan, Feb 2, 2016.

1. I have a Frame from a 1940 Car and would like to use it on a Pickup, can anyone show me some pictures of the actual pickup cab mounts/ body and frame mounts? I understand the very front mount is the same from what I have found searching the web and the hamb. Would also like to know just how the box mounted too.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. I am sure someone has pictures, as my pickup is long gone down the road...but the frames are the same up through 1940 (37-40). 41 frames were essentially the same, but a bit beefier, and also a bit wider towards the rear.
    What bows are you refering to...headliner? g-willys

3. Sorry about that, that's what I get for not checking what I wrote down. I meant Box Mounts. Ok so the frame I have must be for a 41/42 because it has the heavier X member is wider and longer.

4. The box did have a mount to it, to account for the rise in the frame over the rear wheels yet keep the bed level...I might have a picture of mine somewhere, but others out there would have something as well. A 41-42 frame will work, as they had pickups in those years also..the cabs are all pretty much identical (except for the different dashes, wipers, door handles,etc.)
    g-willys

5. I did find this picture of a 41/42, so is the middle mount for the rear of the cab. I haven't bought the pickup cab yet because I want to know if my frame is going to work. I was going to sell this frame but now I found this cab so I may just keep it, I have a fiberglass front clip, so I have most of what I need to build the pickup. Here is the picture I found, but would like to see some real shot of just what is going on with the mounts. 1941-1942 Willys FrameDimensi.jpg

6. Another good source would be Kiwi Kev. He's had most every make and model, and as I recall, he put together a pickup with some details, on one of the HAMB threads in the not too distant past. We are snowed in up here, so that is keeping me busy, but I will look for a couple of pictures when I had my truck...it was bult with a 41 front clip, but was a '38 body, and box.
    g-willys

7. Cool that would be great, Our snow was way down Yesterday but we have gotten dumped on Last Night and Today so with no heat in my garage I haven't got that much done on my Sedan, this winter. I have been working on stuff for my younger brother for his 65 GMC pickup and building a new shed for a lot of stuff that I want out of my shop. Maybe Kevin will chime with some pic's and help. Well we are on the down side of winter so then more things will get done. Thanks and will watch for the pic's.

8. elgringo71

elgringo71

I can't give you the exact dimensions but the 41-42 frames are about 2" wider between the frame rails in the back than the 37-40 frames and the frame chanels are wider. I don't know about the mounts.

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

I agree, you should ask Kiwi Kev

10. jays41willys

jays41willys
    from nj

hi yes head liner bows.i need a set gwillys.iam the one that brught the trunk surports from you.thanks jay

11. Can anyone tell me if the middle mount in the picture of post #5 would be the rear mount fro a Willys pick-up cab? Just tring to find out if my 41/42 Willys frame will work, also wondering just how the Box mounted to the frame?

12. rfraze

rfraze

Did you check the 1937-42 Willys thread?

13. 32fenderless

32fenderless

You are correct. The second set of mounts is the rear cab mounts. Also the mounts for the bed are attached to the bed and attach to the top of the frame rail. I can get pictures if you like

14. Hey 32fenderless that would be great, any and all pic's cab and box both would be cool. Thank You for your time.

15. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I'll try and get them for you this weekend

16. 32fenderless

32fenderless

Sorry 38 2dr. Went to the storage tonight to grab some pics and the light burnt out about the time I got on the ground. I'll try and get some for you soon.

17. Sorry I can't offer any help. I am not the Willys expert some people think I am. I am currently making a frame from the front 2/3 of a 37-40 frame and the rear frame rails from a 41-42. Not only is a 41-42 frame wider from the rear spring mounts back, the frame rails are larger. 4 1/4" compared to 3 3/4". The X member is larger too, 4" compared to 3 1/2". I am making it the 40 width. I am using these parts because it is what we had. This frame is for HAMBer Porkchops pick up and will get some boxing and other mod's later.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Hey Kev, I found all of that out when I first got my Willys, was told they were all the same so mine being a 1938 with no frame I scouted out a 41/42 frame, boxed it all and went to put it under the body and found it didn't fit. So I was a little upset and put the car on hold, a friend out of Wyoming told be about a Willys that an older lady had sitting in her yard and wanted it gone so I load up and went to get it, I even tried to pay her, but she would not take any money, just wanted it gone. So I have the right frame for my Sedan and am building it. The main thing I am after is what the rear Pickup cab and frame mounts look like, I under stand the front mount is the same as car, but where and how does the rear mounts look and go, from the drawing I posted it looks like it goes where the rear running board mount goes, is this right. The picture I am talking about is in post #5. If I can find out what those mount look like I will be buying the cab I found, and use the frame that I have, Here is a couple picture's of my frame. DSCN2359.JPG DSCN2360.JPG

19. 32fenderless

32fenderless

I got the pics 38 but my damn phone keeps wanting me to change privacy settings for camera. I've done it closed apps turned phone of and still won't work.
    I can tell you the cab mount is located in a hole in the top of the frame on my '41 truck. Either way I wouldn't let a rear cab mount hold you up from buying that cab. By the looks of the work you've done to the frame I'm sure you can handle a couple body mounts.

20. farm Boy 2.jpg Farm Boy 3.jpg
    I will look at my frame and see if I can figure out which hole's you are talking about, also I was wondering just how the box mounted, from what I can find the box mounts were part of the box and then they bolted to the frame. Also did the pickups ever have running boards like the Sedan? I did find a couple pictures of the box mounts. 1938 Willys Pick-up Build 7.jpg Willys Box Mount 1.jpg Willys Box Mount 2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  21. Well you have a point there about buying the cab, the deal right now is agreeing on a real price, it is a empty cab, no door internals and some lower rust and as you know Willy's prices are high, so if we can agree on a price I will be buying it. He brought up the idea that I should sell him all the stuff I have since I already have a Sedan he could build the truck. We''l just have to see how it pan out, I don't really want to sell my stuff since I am so close to having all I need to build the truck. Thanks you guys for all the help that you gave me on what I was wondering about.

22. 32fenderless

32fenderless

There were a set of sedan front doors on that auction site a week ago. Some tuck in lowers otherwise complete with glass,latches,handles. Zero bids starting was 160 a door.

23. Thanks 32, I'm going to wait and see if we get the money thing worked out first, I am putting most of my time into my Sedan right now. I do have another set of sedan doors that have the inside in them. Thanks again for helping out, if you do get the pic's to work post them I think I may have welded those hole's shut that you are talking about, when I boxed that frame. 38

24. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

One project at a time Tony!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Hey Tim, what can I say when opportunity knocks...... I got a feeling it not going to happen this guy is one of them, I Got It See If You Can Get It. So I'm going to just back off and see where it goes. It would be nice to get it being I have all of these other parts, would be a way to use them up.

26. I have found a couple pictures to add to this post just in case someone else may want to know what and how the Willy's pickup cab mounts to the frame. I have not see just what the frame mount it's self looks like but I am guessing it looks like the car frame mount. Willys Pickup Cab Mounts 1.jpg Willys Pickup Cab Mounts 2.jpg

27. Hey Bud, they look the same as my 37 sedan. Willys really didn't like making more than they had to. JW