Register now to get rid of these ads!

Turn Signal Issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoz3, Dec 10, 2013.

1. geoz3

geoz3

Have a slight problem with turn signals

American auto wire harness with a column connector, and after market signal switch, 7 wire, one wire from the fuse box to the switch, the pass side front and rear work fine, when I try the drivers side it blows the fuse, have checked the bulbs, all grounds are good, does it sound like the switch may be bad ?

I have gone through 25 10 AMP fues LOL and still no luck finding the problem.....

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Could be the switch or it could be a wire shorted to ground. Do both brake lights come on without blowing a fuse? If so start by tracing the wire going to the drivers front light and make sure its not shorted against the frame or body panel or pinched somewhere. I've been known to get wires stuck between things like motor mounts, cross members, under body mounts, etc...

3. squirrel

squirrel

I think I would have bought an ohm meter about 15 fuses ago....

bobss396 likes this.
  4. geoz3

geoz3

Have not got to the breaks yet, 2 bulbs in each tail light, the front and rear passanger side both work. have checked the grounds and all are good.

5. geoz3

geoz3

LOL...I just got one...

6. squirrel

squirrel

you need to measure the resistance to ground, of the wires going to each light. Remember to disconnect power from it before you measure ohms....

Light bulbs are a few ohms, a short is one ohm or less (depends on how good of connection you get with the meter's leads)

7. geoz3

geoz3

Will do that today

8. TexA

TexA

Pull the fuse going to the TURN SIGNAL CKT.

Remove the bulb from the socket that is blowing the fuses.

CHECK the Resistnace (ohms) on the line that's been blowing fuses. You shouldn't get any reading at all. (One lead of the Ohm meter to the line and the other directly to GROUND on the car.) If the meter indicates resistance, it is probably because there is a DIRECT SHORT somewhere along that line.

I hope that helps or you've already found it.......

9. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Pull the (left) front and rear bulb wires at switch. Then turn switch to left turn and see which one of the left wires that are reconnected blows fuse. That is your problem child.

10. josh hazelton

josh hazelton

Can someone help me mayb? I've installed a 7 wire turn signal in my 49 and nothing clean all grounds and boom flashers and turn signals then nothing I messed with it a bit then all of a sudden they worked for a bit then quit working again and now nothing at all

11. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Rather than dig up old threads, start a new one. Include all of the details on what you started with, what you've done, and what problem you want help with or advice on.

12. what type of turn signal switch? is it new?