Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A simple body question....quarter panel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F-ONE, Feb 1, 2016.

1. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I was cleaning up the garage to get started on the 64 Fairlane. Since tires are in the immediate future I took a look under the wheel wells to check clearances. So.......
    Is it possible that someone put a replacement quarter panel on top of the original quarter?

I knew the quarter was replaced, someone backed into it in 1977 and it went to the shop. Hell it's pop riveted on, then painted?!!
    It looks to me like the original owner got pissed went and got it because the paint is far far from finished...matter of fact, the job is horrible...so it's sat idle since 77.
    I know back then the body shops did things...well, a little differently.

2. Entirely possible. Seen it many times with sills.

F-ONE likes this.
  3. squirrel

squirrel

Anything is possible. We can't see it...you can...what do you see? look at all the edges, and look at it from inside, like from inside the trunk, and remove the inner trim etc.

F-ONE likes this.
  4. JayD

JayD

Very possible. A lot of body shops did whatever they could to get the car out the door. I've seen some pretty shoddy work. I think shops now days are MUCH better. Depending on how much work you were planning, I'd probably leave it be unless you have problems. If you are planning paint anyway, weld or have it welded where you see the pop rivets. As long as the panels line up to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about it. Right or not it's been this way a while and probably isn't going anywhere.

F-ONE likes this.

5. oldolds

oldolds

1977? Yup a lot of small shops didn't have a torch back then. An air compressor and and air chisel were the way to remove quarters. Pop rivets were the thing. We have come a long way. Nearly everybody that works on cars has a mig welder and various ways to cut metal nicely.

F-ONE likes this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I've actually seen it more than once here on the interweb. don't worry, you can fix it with more bondo.

F-ONE likes this.
  7. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

My son has a 67 Mustang GT that had been hit in the left door and quarter panel, when we started stripping it the door had about 3/4 " of bondo and the quarter had the front half of a quarter brazed over the damage and bondo over that. When we got that off the door post was pushed back about 3/8", straightened the door post and replaced the door and quarter. Lots of poor work out there, car didn't look too bad until we started in on it, amazing what you can hide with bondo.

Attached Files:

F-ONE likes this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't think it has two quarters but I really don't know for sure. Looking at it I don't think it does but honestly it's harder to tell than you would think.

It fits good though...[​IMG]

9. flatford39

flatford39

Actually that's pretty creative and he got the gap pretty good as well. It's only going to get worse with the advent of the new adhesives that are in use today. I was in a shop this AM and they had an S-10 in there that had rusty wheel wells on the bed. they cut out all the rust and then just epoxied the new panel to the inside of the box. they were getting ready to lay in the bondo over the old paint to cover up the lap. It's going to look OK when done but how long will that epoxy last.

10. squirrel

squirrel

The seams you've shown look ok, my guess is the original quarter was cut off. Inside the trunk might show you what you want to know.