Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage What The Hell Just Happened?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

What The Hell Just Happened?

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
    54reno, hipster, Lazy A and 27 others like this.
  2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Can I get an AMEN!

Gabe Fernando and sodbuster like this.
  3. flamingokid

flamingokid

That car is right as rain.Gorgeous.And the GNRS is SEMA for old stuff.Been once,that was enough.It's cheaper to look at the pics ;)

Gabe Fernando likes this.
  4. bct

bct

Nice to hear that he built the car his self. Rather than just trailering it from shop to shop.

Edit :Nevermind. typical team effort.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

5. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

It's so clean and understated and just drop dead gorgeous.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

When I saw the title of this thread first thing that came to mind was Steve Mcqueens line at the end of The Sand Pebbles. Much better ending this time, pure awesome!

mctim64 likes this.
  7. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Here are a few shots I have taken of the car at Austin and Santa Maria.

I had planned to submit a very similar posting this morning, but I slept in.

GNRS-1-6.jpg GNRS-1-7.jpg GNRS-2-5.jpg GNRS-2-6.jpg GNRS-3-4.jpg GNRS-3-5.jpg

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Thanks Tom!

dana barlow likes this.
  9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Wow - used to seeing so much over the top bling - this truly is a breath of fresh air

Gabe Fernando and Nailhead Jason like this.
  10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

It wasn't long ago that I did an abbreviated build thread for this car.....

11. 1935ply

1935ply
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from peyton,co
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

That's awesome. Hopefully people will realize it's about real people and not how much you can pay someone to build a great car.

Darryl Deir likes this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

That's a neat rear window.:) Tail lights are killer also.
    A very nice car to be sure. Right on the edge of perfection.

13. DRD57

DRD57

AND it's on the cover of the latest Rodder's Journal.

Congratulations to all involved!

mctim64 likes this.
  14. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I actually had no idea you had a hand in this car man... You do chassis and final mockup?

For some reason, this makes me even happier.

15. Still clapping!! Have you thought about what all the others that thought they had it locked up might be thinking this morning? Hopefully this is the game changer.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. It is breathtaking, no doubt.

michael knight and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  17. mrquickwhip

mrquickwhip

Hopefully this will inspire others to sling the bling cos trad is rad......well done

Jimmy B likes this.
  18. When I saw the photo of this years winning car I was elated,It knocked my socks off!

A car which should appeal to the majority of the Hamb members with it's traditional style and wins the coveted AMBR trophy proves the something has changed in the judging process.

Perhaps,we are witnessing the reversal of thinking and harking back to a time when a real world driveable roadster is considered for the honor of the AMBR and not how nice your display is or how much money was spent on a car that may never be driven on the streets.

Congratulations to Darryl Hollenbeck. HRP

19. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Guys we won the war, 10 years ago , there was no way a traditional hot rod would win the trophy.

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Yes - with the help of Ashley and her dad, Dan, we built the chassis and basically delivered it as a fully mocked roller with the sheet metal stuff done. Darryl added and tweaked a few details from there, but we wanted it to arrive ready for him to start the work he's known for.

Of course, it was a team effort by many people, which I think is the underlying story that everyone gravitates toward. It wasn't a shop built car, and I can guarantee it was the car with the least investment there - it was a car built by Darryl and his friends. I'm proud to be a part of the build, but most importantly, I'm proud of the new friendships that were created.

21. kursplat

kursplat

22. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That is a great looking car, and even better for being owner built and driven. It looks like they got it right this year. After seeing all of the over done trophy cars over shadow real cars at the BJ auctions this weekend, it's really nice to see a car like this be honored.

Born a HotRodGal likes this.
  23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It was a good sign when the judging required a drive by in front of the Judges. This show started out in 1950 as a "real" hot rod show. Call Ken Ferman if you dispute the year. Ken told me he thought he could have won that year if he would have gotten his roadster together in time. All the roadsters then were street driven until the Ala Kart which I still love. Anyway it's good to see it coming back to that. I stopped going to Oakland in the late '60s when everything started getting ugly.
    Gary

Gabe Fernando and falcongeorge like this.
  24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

More people need to know this side of the story man... It's really, really cool...

I know a lot of people get hung up on "credit where credit is due" and all that stuff when it comes to these cars and to a certain degree I totally get why that is the case. But often times it turns into a chest beating contest that over shadows the final result. And at the end of the day, no one really cares other than the people that were actually involved.

Because this car was built with such good intentions and because it has done what it has done (both on the street and off), I kind of feel like this is one instance where every guy that worked on this car needs a pat on the back and the opportunity to take a bow.

This all makes me really happy.

25. Absolutely. HRP

FlyFisher and Donald A. Smith like this.
  26. oldcargary

oldcargary
    from devore, Ca

Yay they got one thing right. A friend got me in for free, sure as hell wouldn't pay $25 to see that zoo again.

27. I looked it over at the Roundup. Top notch, understated.

This colorblind fella has one question. What color is it? It looks brown to me, but I know my colors are off. I read somewhere they are calling in guacamole green. Just curious what color it looks like to everyone else.

28. S.F.

S.F.

hit the nail on the head man...the "its not about the cars, its about the people" line has bugged the shit out of me for years.

michael knight and verde742 like this.
  29. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'd call it olive green, I think? It's a fantastic color for sure...

383deuce, kiwijeff and Dan Hay like this.
  30. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well said Ryan. My buddy and I skipped the show for the first time in years and unfortunately missed the turn of events. A significant part of out reasoning to miss the show this year was just what you identified----huge amounts of money being spent to win a trophy with a car that never has, or will, hit the pavement, built by some professional for a person who had very little or nothing to do with the actual construction of the rod.

We stopped going to the big commercial shows a few years back and have been attending the small ones emphasizing traditional builds---shows like the "Torque Fest" in Iowa and the "Stray Kat Kustom" in OK. As a couple of guys in our late 60's early 70's we have a pretty good idea of what "Traditional" is and are glad more and more young guys are following that path and applaud the influence HAMB has had on this revival.

383deuce, kiwijeff and Pinstriper40 like this.