Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1949 Plymouth build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by bartikus, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bartikus

bartikus

So I got the Plymouth home on Monday. I traded it for a 1964 Ford falcon wagon. My plans are to chop the top, smooth out the body, maybe shave the door handles, maybe french the headlights, and maybe mess with the grill. I think I want a midnight blue car with some off white scallops. This build is going to go really slow until I can find a job. I got laid off the beginning of November and won't be able to drop a ton of money into the car until I'm working again. But I wanted to start a build thread.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

has lots of possibilities. looks like you need to make room in your garage to do all of the work that you mentioned.

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Chop the top? Come on!
    Do what it takes to make it a driver. ... tweak the stance/wheel/tire combo, paint it ...and hit the pavement. That thing is already cool!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    Surfcityrocker likes this.
  4. bartikus

bartikus

I'm planning on getting it running and driving first then I'll chop it. The car is really tall and I feel it needs a little taken out of the roof.

5. 'Mo

'Mo

A chopped top would be cheese, no doubt. And a piece of cake. (;))
    But twin carbs, twice pipes, and a finned head would get me droolin' come show time.
    Once again, that thing is cool already!

EDIT: Oh yeah, and fender skirts!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I was pretty happy to trade my falcon for it. It is missing the stock motor and trans. Oh yeah I forgot about the fender skirts. They are also on the list.

7. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I have too much crap in my garage. It is the three cars in there that is causing my problem.

8. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Neat old car.Has great potential.What are you figuring to use for an engine\trans? I am inclined to agree with Mo,make it drive before you take on major body mods.

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The car's excess height is in the body, not the roof. Section it about 4 inches......do it with photographs first.....see the change. Sectioning that car probably wouldn't be much more work than chopping the top and more striking.

Ray

Frankie47 likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some simple, cheap things:

Shock relocation. You will note a rather curious shock arrangement on these. It needs to be fixed. The shocks go from control arm to control arm. They need to go from lower control arm, to the frame, like every other car. http://rustyhope.com/site/shock-arms/
    Anti-sway bar upgrade (1984-2001 Jeep Cherokee, upside-down). You can find pictures in my albums.

These two things will go a long way toward greatly improving the road manners. Neither will set you back big money.

bct likes this.
  11. bartikus

bartikus

If I can find a cheap slant 6 with a three speed manual I'll go for it. I have toyed with the idea of seeing if the Ford 300 inline 6 I have will fit in the car. I already have a 3 speed manual trans I can throw behind the 300. I also plan on upgrading the rear end to a Ford 8" I have have. I already have a bunch of Ford parts sitting around so I think that's what I'll use. I have access to a 250 inline if I want it and a couple of small block fords including a 289 and a 302. I think I want a straight 6 of some sort in the car and want to try and hook up the original three on the tree to what ever trans I throw into it.

plymouth1952 likes this.
  12. bartikus

bartikus

I plan on getting the car running and driving before I do any major body mods like chopping it.

13. This is going to be a cool build I am running a slant 6 in my 56 Dodge pickup Great motor and something different. Good luck on finding employment I am building a 37 Plymouth check out my build thread looking forward to watching this build subscribed Hobo Jim

14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like your engine choice ideas. However, as for using the original column shift, it will not easily adapt to a conventional two lever side shift transmission. MoPar trannies through '56 models have two levers, but they operate differently. They are called "Selector Type". One lever (the selector) is moved fore or aft, and depending that lever's position, the second lever either shifts to 1st or reverse, or it shifts to 2nd or 3rd.

You could adapt different controls to your column ahead of the firewall. An early '50s Chevy 'shift box' could be substituted for the Plymouth column shift arms.

I agree with the prior posters who have recommended getting the Mayflower up and running/driving before tackling the sheet metal mods, whatever you may choose to do in that regard. btw! I have a '49 Plymouth 2 door Club Coupe ( aka 2 door sedan) that I have owned for almost 21 years. My first association with a '49 was in the mid '50s, and I have owned a couple others in the meantime. They aren't the most stylish cars to come down the pike, but there is something about the '49 models I just like.

Best Wishes with yours.
    Ray

15. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Any of those engines should do fine.It all comes down to what you can get the best deal on.

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Subscribed. I'm a big fan of this body style, love that sloped rear roof. Excited to see where you take this

17. bartikus

bartikus

I'm pretty excited about the car myself. If it had been a standard roof Chrysler I don't know if I would have traded the guy for it. I've always thought the roof line on those cars are kinda ugly. Oh and on a side note I got a call back on a possible job opportunity that pays fairly well. If all goes well I'll have money to throw at the car soon.

18. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Cool, good luck on the job offer!
    Keep us posted. :)
    On the car,too!

19. bartikus

bartikus

So I got the job and start Monday. I'm pretty excited about it. So this means I will have some money to work on the car. I have been thinking about what to do with the transmission. I have a three speed toploader with a nice Hurst shifter. I am also thinking about picking up a t5 out of a mid 90's V6 mustang. We will see what happens I would love to hook up the three speed I have to the factory three on the tree shifter. If I can't make it work I will be going with a floor shifter. So hopefully I'll get started on the car in a few weeks.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  20. Congrats on getting the job!! I am looking forward to watching this build, Hobo Jim

21. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

Cool purchase. I saw this car for sale and was interested in it also. I'm just north of you in Brigham City. I'm a mopar fan since birth it seems (thanks to dad). I have a 50 Dodge Wayfare 2dr fastback similar to yours. I'll attach a photo. This car has disc brake conversion on front, stock running gear, lowered suspension, converted to 12 volt. I working on the interior now. This is a nice fun, inexpensive cruiser that gets looks.
    Good luck with the job and the Plymouth. s-l1600.jpg

HotRodRyan likes this.
  22. bartikus

bartikus

Thanks, that's a sweet car. I would love to see it in person sometime. I'll message you next time I'm up that way maybe I can stop by and check it out. Or if your ever down in salt lake for a show let me know.

23. I agree sweet looking Mopar love the swamp cooler Hobo Jim

24. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I have additional information of swapping type items if your not keeping the stock running gear. Rearends, disc brake kits that kind of stuff. If I remember right that car seem to have the motor/ trans but alot of parts were laying on the ground in the "for sale" ad. You can still buy complete stock front brake kits and new master cylinder. The front suspension and brakes are more than capable when rebuilt and it cuts costs.
    With all your ford/maverick parts would you have a spare maverick rearend you'd sell.

25. bartikus

bartikus

The engine and trans are gone. The guy I got the car from didn't want them he was going to put a Chevy v8 in it. I know of a junk yard up in Ogden that has 5-6 mavericks in it.

26. bartikus

bartikus

If I could find a good stock drivetrain I would go that route. I would need an engine, trans, and driveshaft. Do you have parts laying around your not using? I am always interested in trades of some sort. I'll have a Granada 8" soon.

27. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I know it's not traditional for the hamb sight. But since your missing the drive train anyway I personally would locate a running 2wd Dakota late 80s early 90s and do a body swap. Easier than you would think. Benefits are power steering power disc brakes a v6 or v8. All replacement parts are as close as auto zone. Get a Dakota with a close wheel base to the 49. After removing Dakota body set the 49 on blocks above Dakota frame. Make new body mounts and use Dakota steering column/ pedals/ brake booster and complete wiring. Unplug and replug after swap and wiring is done.
    I've done about 5 vehicles this way. Saves time, engineering and most importantly $$$$$$$.
    You can pick up a running Dakota for cheap with every part needed to get your 49 on the road.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a good way to get a perfectly good thread deleted.

shawnsauto1 and Hnstray like this.
  29. blacktopicasso

blacktopicasso

I believe that with his tight budget and eagerness to get it on the road all options should be considered.

30. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I want to keep it on the original frame and if I can find some stick running gear in good shape for a decent price that's the way I really want to go but I don't have a problem putting in a different motor and trans. I have never been a big fan of putting modern steering column in old cars. There is something different about driving an old car with stock steering and suspension and that's what I want in the car. No power steering or power brakes for me. I'm ok with doing a dic brake upgrade on the car but leaving everything else. I want the drop uprights from Fatman fabrication.

shawnsauto1 likes this.