Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Speed Shops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67coronet, Jan 26, 2016.

1. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

True, but you sure would have a lot of friends!

2. BobMcD

BobMcD

I worked in a small Mom and Pop speed shop about 15 years ago. Their son managed it without taking a salary. Their cost on parts was higher than Summit or Jeg's sells for. They closed up after about 5 years when they realized they could make more by renting out the building to someone else.

3. 55driver

55driver

There is a shop in my area that is like that (has Jegs and Summit catalogs on the counter) he matches prices, has a fair inventory, and what he doesn't have gets the next day from his supplier. He's a one man operation in a rented space and admits to making most of his money with online sales. An older gent that's been around a while and is a pleasure to deal with on custom stuff compared to the oreily counter staff.

porky55 likes this.
  4. The only local shop around is S & K Speed. Older shops like Midwest (American Speed) are long gone. They have an engine shop and a huge showroom. They do match any online price though. Bring in a printout of a Summit item and they honor the price.

5. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

image.jpeg I miss speed shops, found this relic in my garage today from 1995 when I bought some Cragar S/S tri bar spinners.

6. mickeyc

mickeyc

I just was reading some information over on the bang shift site
    about the EPA starting a campaign to enforce some existing laws,
    as well as a bevy of new restrictions regarding the sale and installation
    of aftermarket parts. The parts are other than repair items. Rather modification
    type equipment. I realize this comes up from time to time, but SEMA seems
    to be highly concerned this time? I am thinking this could have serious impact
    on our hobby as well as the online outfits. Not a good time
    to venture in this market if this proves to in fact be the case?